Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boardgame Wishlist

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Tonnes though an even bigger friend wishlist ;) oh to play TI3. I'm lucky to get them to sit and play Apples2Apples.

If I had the people to play it I'd love to get Star Trek: Fleet Captains. Looks class. I also want the Cosmic expansions but again can't justify them due to the lack of time the original gets out of the box..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭oeb

Eclipse looks awesome, and is also at the top of my list. I am a very big fan of TI3, and I play it at least once a month, so I think my group will love Eclipse.

There is some great new things coming out in the next month or two. FFG is re-releasing Fortress Americia, which was the best of the old MB Gamemaster series (And has been out of print for years). Rex: Final days of an empire looks great too. FFG were able to secure the rights to the old Dune board game, but Frank Herberts estate would not allow them to use the Dune setting, so they have instead set it in the TI universe.

I have been meaning to pick up "A Game of Thrones" for a while, and the second edition is out now, so I'll try and grab that within the next couple of weeks.

EDIT: This topic has got me thinking, there seems to be alot of posters on this forum who really want to play TI3 but either don't have it, or don't have a group who are willing to play. I have both, and if anyone feels like travelling, I'm up for hosting a game of it. I'm based in Kerry myself, but I don't mind travelling as far as, let's say, Cork or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Paddy Samurai

ShooterSF wrote: »
    If I had the people to play it I'd love to get Star Trek: Fleet Captains. Looks class. I also want the Cosmic expansions but again can't justify them due to the lack of time the original gets out of the box..

Yeah I also like the look of Star Trek Fleet Captains,it got some great reviews online.Its an expensive game ,so I'm still thinking about it.

I got Cosmic encounters expansion about a year ago and have yet to play it.Too many games,so little time.:(

oeb wrote: »
    There is some great new things coming out in the next month or two. FFG is re-releasing Fortress Americia, which was the best of the old MB Gamemaster series (And has been out of print for years). Rex: Final days of an empire looks great too. FFG were able to secure the rights to the old Dune board game, but Frank Herberts estate would not allow them to use the Dune setting, so they have instead set it in the TI universe.

Never played fortress America ,but I have a copy of Shogun [Mb Gamesmaster?] up in the attic somewhere. Great game,spent many an hour conquering Japan .Think it has been re-released recently as Ikusa.

Yeah I have been following Rex:Final days, on boardgamegeek.Hopefully FFG won't make it a 10hr+ game with a 100 page rules manual.:rolleyes:
    I will wait till I see a few reviews,before making up my mind.

Good news,for anyone interested,
    Apparently this will be rereleased in May.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44 jopm

Eclipse is a very good game with an innovative resource management track for each player. It is still quite a long game coming in above 3 hours but nowhere near TI . Despite all the (good) space opera games out there I am still looking for my holy grail. Next up for me in this regard is Empires of the Void

pic1146318_t.jpg

This is a Kick Starter game which is due out shortly.

I am also looking forward to Virgin Queen the sequel to Here I Stand

pic1276971_t.jpg

If Here I stand is anything to go by this will also dwarf TI in time needed to play it!

Further down the line Bloody Crossroads is a game I am eagerly anticipating.

pic841050_mt.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭MrTimewalk

Played Eclipse, it's a good one alright, wil try and pick up in May.

If you like space strategy and want a shorter game try

Space Emperor

http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/27463/galactic-emperor

used to have a copy and we played it to death

Two more on my wishlist.Hope to get them in the next few months.

Mice and Mystics
    This one is for the family.Enjoyed Tom Vassel's review of this.

pic1387078_md.jpg

Warlords of Europe
    I have been watching this one since it came out.This one for the lad's ..........beers and battle.:D

pic684425_md.jpg
    Plastic soldiers and Castles and Castles.........need I say more;)

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Rougebladez

I have been gaming since mid 90s and was thinking of buying Eclipse but have recently seen that there is an IOS version coming out SUPPOSEDLY soon.
    Dont know when exactly, but am getting an IPhone and hope to be playing it online soon afterrwards, which would alleviate the need for organising meetings which is probably the most annoying part of gaming.
    Yes, admittedly, with the computer version you miss out on the whole "banter" during the game, but it would allow for more frequent games.
    I have the money for the boardgame but the whole lack of local gamers is quite annoying.
    I may be off topic here but its worth saying for those who are similarily frustrated.

I have since bought Eclipse 4x and am thrilled with it although like I said before the lack of opponents is frustrating and organising a game can be awkward.
    However My nephew plays and we have since had about 15 or so games.

Now tha We are used to the rules it only takes about an hour and a half for a two player game and the rules are relatively easy to follow.

I'd highly recommend it now.

• Advertisement

I have since bought Eclipse 4x and am thrilled with it although like I said before the lack of opponents is frustrating and organising a game can be awkward.
    However My nephew plays and we have since had about 15 or so games.

Now tha We are used to the rules it only takes about an hour and a half for a two player game and the rules are relatively easy to follow.

I'd highly recommend it now.

I picked it up around xmas myself. We have only managed two games so far, but really enjoyed it so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Fengol

A friend of mine picked up Eclipse a few weeks back and have had a couple of games so far.
    It's great (if you like 4X) and once you get the rules and set-up down, you can often get through a game fairly quick.

The main thing on my wish list at the moment is Yggdrasil.

3661.jpg

Seems to be a well received co-op game that supports 6 players for my weekly game nights, but also allows 1-2 player games when it's just me and the girlfriend.

As soon as I find somewhere that has it in at a reasonable price, i'll more than likely pick it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭osh

I've been looking at getting Eclipse for a while now. Anyone know what the RRP is for it? I see it's £60 with free delivery on Amazon so a little bit pricey. I thought after the reprint it would be less than that.

Does it play well with different numbers of players, or is it best with 4+?

It's going for €90 in my FLGS.

I've played it with 2, 3 and with 6 players. I prefer it with more but it scales down well. You just lose the diplomacy features with less than 4.

osh wrote: »
    I've been looking at getting Eclipse for a while now. Anyone know what the RRP is for it? I see it's £60 with free delivery on Amazon so a little bit pricey. I thought after the reprint it would be less than that.

Does it play well with different numbers of players, or is it best with 4+?

I think I paid about £60 GBP in Replay games in Bangor when I was up there at xmas.

OK thanks might pick it up sure fom Amazon.

Is it worth buying in your opinion? I've also been looking at Twlight Imperium so will have to decide between the two

Another video game crossover ,but this one looks top notch.I would be interested to see how it plays.

pic1616042_md.png
    In the tabletop game BioShock Infinite: The Siege of Columbia, players will play as either the Founders or the Vox Populi and will build up an army to fight for control of Columbia by taking ground and completing important objectives. At the same time, they'll be using their influence to sway various events that arise. They'll also find themselves having to deal with Booker and Elizabeth who are running around Columbia creating havoc.

Bioshock Infinite: The Siege of Columbia has players combating one another, stealing objectives from one another, assassinating leaders, destroying strongholds, bidding against each other for control of unfolding events and more.

The board game, based in the universe of the Irrational Games-developed video game BioShock Infinite, will come with 52 miniatures, cards, dice and a colorful game board. One of those miniatures – the Handyman – comes with the Premium and Ultimate Songbird editions of the video game.

osh wrote: »
    OK thanks might pick it up sure fom Amazon.

Is it worth buying in your opinion? I've also been looking at Twlight Imperium so will have to decide between the two

My group plays a lot of TI3, probably about 40 games over the few years. We have only played a couple of games of Eclipse now, but to be honest, if I was recommending one or the other, I'd probably lean towards eclipse at the moment.

The gameplay is smoother, and much more logical which makes it easier for new players to grasp. I prefer the advancement that the randomised research allows for. The game is also quicker to play and takes up less (not much less) space.

Yeah I actually went ahead and ordered Eclipse last night after watching a few more videos on BGG.

The fact that Eclipse can be played 2/3 player and is alot shorter to play swung the decision.

I would like to pick up TI3 at some stage though but it's rare that we'd have enough players or time to play it unfortunately.

Looking forward to getting it now, might arrive by Friday :)

The next game I intend on buying will be this:

K2

pic1051300_md.jpg

• Advertisement

This is number one on my wishlist.

Can't believe I missed this one last year.Hate the term " Bucks" , but a good review overall.

LOL the wife will kill me ,if I buy another boardgame...........................maybe she would like a pair of new shoes:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Yedo is a very good game, got it about a month ago and have about ten plays, all two player but I think it would be even better with 4. Best worker placement game I've played.

Yedo is a very good game, got it about a month ago and have about ten plays, all two player but I think it would be even better with 4. Best worker placement game I've played.

Sounds good. I like the description "Lords of Waterdeep on steroids" as although I liked that game I felt it was missing something.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭rzaba666

remember Cube? We can play this now:

http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/127024/room-25

pic1397624_md.jpg

Well since I have K2 bought and Yggdrasil is still Out of Print until the re-release later this year, my new wishlist item is:

Super Dungeon Explore

pic1001002_md.jpg

This is one I would love to try.Just need to convince the people in my gaming group as this is a lot heavier than they like.

I suppose I could play it solo................

Although it might be a while as I went a bit crazy buying games the last few weeks.:o

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭gambitthefirst

Being new to the boardgaming world there are so many games I really want to get and play like ShooterSF I'd love to play Star Trek: fleet captains if I could get anyone to play it.

But my short list is:

Dixit
    Wiz-War
    Gloom
    Liars Dice
    Pandemic
    Galaxy Trucker
    Arkham Horror
    Cosmic Encounter
    Police Precinct
    Caracssonne (cause my girlfriend likes saying mepeoples)
    Star Trek: Settlers Of Catan
    Battlestar Galactica & Expansions
    Mansions Of Maddens & Expansion

Not mad about the graphics but I like the look of the gameplay, and the way your character develops.

It looks like there will be a lot of expansions. Could be a money pit unless your careful. One or two expansions would do me. I'm not one, that needs every expansion for a game.

Bought Pandemic last week and love it.

What's more is I've also got my brother(49) to play it and he likes it.
    And in work today during lunch one of the guys in the office saw me setting up for a solitaire game and ended up playing a full game in 45-55 mins.

Really enjoy it. And I'd recommend it highly.

Admittedly it's the new version with the plastic cubes and the funky new board.

About €43 I paid for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭Mikey23

The Castles of Burgundy just arrived from Amazon. Price had dropped from about £35stg to £20 so couldn't resist (despite the growing pile of new games in the hall!).

Advertisement