Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Filling in a scrape in oak flooring???

Options
  • 08-01-2012 10:05pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭

Is there any way to fill in this scrap in my engineered oak flooring?

Some one told me before to use layers of bees wax and polish it into the scrape.And this would make it look new again.

The scrape is a surface scrape and not a deep scrape.

Any ideas???

Thanks.:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭galwaydude18

Is that a pre finished floor or did you get it finished after it being laid?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Is that a pre finished floor or did you get it finished after it being laid?

Pre finished.

The problem I have with using wax in a floor is that dirt sticks to it and shows it up as black which will mean you will constantly have to buff that area clean to get rid of the black look.

If it was me I would try some floor laquer on it as it will dry clear and will be a hard finish compared to soft bees was or any other wax for that matter.

The problem I have with using wax in a floor is that dirt sticks to it and shows it up as black which will mean you will constantly have to buff that area clean to get rid of the black look.

If it was me I would try some floor laquer on it as it will dry clear and will be a hard finish compared to soft bees was or any other wax for that matter.

Thanks for the advice and tip too.:)

Your welcome paddy :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

There is a special hard wax available in many colours,
    It comes in small stick like blocks and is hard enough not to let the dust stick to it.

galwayrush wrote: »
    There is a special hard wax available in many colours,
    It comes in small stick like blocks and is hard enough not to let the dust stick to it.

Ya learn something new every day! I'v never used hard wax like that before only soft wax sticks.

Who makes that hard wax?

Ya learn something new every day! I'v never used hard wax like that before only soft wax sticks.

Who makes that hard wax?

+1

Who makes it and do the likes of Woodies,BnQ or builders providers stock it??

Thanks.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭Carlow52

Ya learn something new every day!
    even from a fellow Galway soul and your man in the Park and Alice Mary and ken at the Winter Solstice.......Game set and match:D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

Here ya go. You'll need to scroll down to 'hard wax'. It's possible that Gough's in Mary's Abbey (I think that's the street) stock these wax sticks.
    http://www.briwaxprofessional.com/wood/index.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

+ 1 above .
    We normally get them from a company based in Kilbeggan called Quin Lok, who call to us about every 6 weeks. Wurths based in Limerick, who will also deliver nationwide also have them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Double Barrel

Bri is very good as is Mylands, their carnauba wax and shellac wax are both hard waxes. I used to pick up a can when in the UK or NI but I order on the net direct or Ebuy?
    Mylands Wax is a blend of Beeswax, Carnauba wax and Shellac wax that produces a superb gloss finish.

http://www.mylands.co.uk/c-44-mylands-traditional-wax-polishes.aspx

Advertisement