Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Matt or Gloss paint

• 08-01-2012 10:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭

Painting at the moment, a few rooms and the hall, stairs, landing.

Just about to do the window ledges. Wife wants them done matt, I said they should be done gloss as they are easier to wipe, reflect light into room, wear better, etc.

Is there any 'golden rule'? Which would the painters normally do? When we moved into the house the ledges were matt but I said that was the painter just making things easier for himself.

Matt or gloss?

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

Rule 1, do what the wife wants, makes life easier.:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

mp22 wrote: »
    Rule 1, do what the wife wants, makes life easier.:D

Rule 2-Hand the wife the brush and paint and say...... "off you go so".....:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭Carlow52

Wife wants them done matt,

get with the program

• Closed Accounts Posts: 550 ✭✭✭earpiece

Ehhhhh...... compromise, Satin!!!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

My other half is currently painting the entire house for me (shes painting all the bedrooms atm).

Dont know exactly what I did or have done,but I must have done something right.:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Cedrus

Paint them matt as per commanders orders and when she complains that the ledges are dirty and hard to clean, that the room is dark, they're getting shabby, etc., say "I said they should be done gloss as they are easier to wipe, reflect light into room, wear better, etc."
    You can avoid an argument now, have years of "I told you so" AND never have to paint again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭Howjoe1

A life long user of gloss but have just been converted to satinwood.

Dead easy to apply. no need for undercoat. no nasty odours. dry in no time and nearly impossible to spill.

Plus its satin finish is closer to matt which should keep her happy and very easy to wipe down when cleaning.

thank me later;)

Advertisement