Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do shops get away with outrageous trade in prices?

Options
  • 08-01-2012 10:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭

How do shops get away with such poor value trade in prices? For practically brand new games, its absurd. Case(s) in point

1. I went to xtravision with a spare copy of uncharted 3 yesterday, which they sell pre owned for 40e. I got offered 6 euro trade, or 4 euro cash. That is riddiculous.
    2. I went to Game in the ilac centre today with my friend, trading in Zelda skyward sword, and mario galaxy 2. He got offered less than 20 euro.
    3. We were in gamestop today, some lad with his dad was selling a fair few games there, at least 15 games or so, including modern warfare 3, and the new assasins creed. They got offered 54 euro in total.

How does that work, absolutely ridiculous :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭sillo

Basic Economics.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

The way those places work: supply and demand.

If there is demand on the game, and not much of supply, then they offer better price.

On the other hand if there is way too much supply, then they won't offer good price on trade is as they will need to shift theyr stock.

With games being really short these days, gamers learned to finish game as fast as possible and trade it in for next new title, so shops get overstocked with used new titles games very fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

They get away with it because people are stupid enough to accept stupid prices.
    No one is putting a gun to someones head to force them to sell the game on, they can be put on adverts or ebay and get a better price easily enough, but people want the cash in hand right now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Yeah but, in most places there is a HMV. Or in Dublin, cex, offering significantly better value for your game. And yet, even when people could go to a shop just next door, and get better value, another shop will offer an absurd value like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

More fool those who take the offer and leave. Personally I'd quicker keep a game than trade it in for those prices.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭CORaven

Shops are not actively trying to convince you to trade in games with low prices offered, they are trying to appeal to those who have the game and value its ownership at next to nothing.

Keep disc that will be never used, value = 0
    Vs €5 for a trade in.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,847 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

6 euro trade in for uncharted 3 is unreal! Must have something to do with Xtravision being in the sh*tter at the moment and unforunately there are people who will accept these prices (usually parents or very casual gamers) leading them making a stupid big profit with the devs not getting a penny of it.

Gamesnash.ie offer great trade in prices and pay for the delivery to send them the games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

I stopped trading in games years ago. The tiny amount they give for a game just isnt worth it. I'd rather just hang onto the game and at least its there if i feel like playing it again a few years down the line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Kinski

I buy all my games new online, except for the occasional bargain I see in HMV. I rarely buy games in the first few weeks of release, and seldom pay more than 20euro for a title.

Some reasons I hate the bricks-and-mortar shops:

(1) The usually useless and sometimes obnoxious staff.
    (2) Massive amount of space devoted to second-hand games.
    (3) Scandalous price of second-hand games (which they paid fuck-all for)
    (4) Scandalous price of everything.
    (5) The fact that they use "pre-owned" as a euphemism for second-hand.
    (6) Poor selection of new games.
    (7) Manky game cases (seriously, leave the new games in the fucking plastic wrapper; the cases are always dirty for some reason!).
    (8) Increasing tendency to pander to the chav market.
    (9) Presence of other people in the store (those chavs again).

God bless Amazon.

Kinski wrote: »
    I buy all my games new online, except for the occasional bargain I see in HMV. I rarely buy games in the first few weeks of release, and seldom pay more than 20euro for a title.

Some reasons I hate the bricks-and-mortar shops:

(1) The usually useless and sometimes obnoxious staff.
    (2) Massive amount of space devoted to second-hand games.
    (3) Scandalous price of second-hand games (which they paid fuck-all for)
    (4) Scandalous price of everything.
    (5) The fact that they use "pre-owned" as a euphemism for second-hand.
    (6) Poor selection of new games.
    (7) Manky game cases (seriously, leave the new games in the fucking plastic wrapper; the cases are always dirty for some reason!).
    (8) Increasing tendency to pander to the chav market.
    (9) Presence of other people in the store (those chavs again).

God bless Amazon.

It's numbers 2, 8, and 9 that I'm not quite understanding. What's wrong with selves full of second hand games? What exactly is a chave game? Only ones I can think of that would fit that description is DJ Hero and those Sing Star style rap situations.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Kinski

deathrider wrote: »
    It's numbers 2, 8, and 9 that I'm not quite understanding. What's wrong with selves full of second hand games?

Nothing, but that point is related to the poor selection of new games; I don't mind a 50/50 split, but giving more space to second-hand games bugs me.
    What exactly is a chave game? Only ones I can think of that would fit that description is DJ Hero and those Sing Star style rap situations.

50 Cent: Blood on the Sand. But don't take the last two points too seriously; it's the ones before that that are my real complaints.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

they offer those prices, and sell at the prices they do, because joe public is a complete and utter moron who will accept and pay what they're asking for

Kinski wrote: »
    Nothing, but that point is related to the poor selection of new games; I don't mind a 50/50 split, but giving more space to second-hand games bugs me.

50 Cent: Blood on the Sand. But don't take the last two points too seriously; it's the ones before that that are my real complaints.

Fair points.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,216 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Game were offering 4.50 trade in for gears 3 and selling it for 40 at Christmas time, I commented on game Ireland's Facebook page which was deleted obviously by them they kept messaging me privately then using smiley wonky faces saying stuff like trade ins are subject Rostock etc to wind me up I reckon!!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,400 ✭✭✭✭noodler

cloud493 wrote: »
    How do shops get away with such poor value trade in prices? For practically brand new games, its absurd. Case(s) in point

1. I went to xtravision with a spare copy of uncharted 3 yesterday, which they sell pre owned for 40e. I got offered 6 euro trade, or 4 euro cash. That is riddiculous.
    2. I went to Game in the ilac centre today with my friend, trading in Zelda skyward sword, and mario galaxy 2. He got offered less than 20 euro.
    3. We were in gamestop today, some lad with his dad was selling a fair few games there, at least 15 games or so, including modern warfare 3, and the new assasins creed. They got offered 54 euro in total.

How does that work, absolutely ridiculous :confused:

Damn, for the first time in years I want to trade in a game (Uncharted 3) and now I am being told it is worth about 6e.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,847 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Gamesnash offered me 27 euro for Uncharted 3. Obviously that price will go down the more copies they get but it's slightly better than 6 euro :)

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭DonalK1981

<MODSNIP: No selling on thread - use adverts.ie>

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Completionist

Im sure Gamesnash.ie can help you, Send them an email asking for a quote, Then when you get a reply post them the game. They will pay you a decent amount more than €6 and pay for postage too iirc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

The really annoying things about trade-in prices is that even if a shop gave, say 20 quid credit and then sold that game for 20 cash they're still making a profit. When they're putting a huge mark-up on top of that it shows just how big some of their margins are.

Its not a case of wanting somewhere better, HMV is great :) Its these shops charging absurd prices, giving poor trade in prices, and getting away with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭landsleaving

Its not a case of wanting somewhere better, HMV is great :) Its these shops charging absurd prices, giving poor trade in prices, and getting away with it.

HMV are pretty good but CEX are the best imo, usually offer more cash than you'd get trading in elsewhere, and they have a website to check the prices. They all should have a page on their websites where you can check trade in prices. Last time I traded in games I just stood there saying yes, no, yes, yes, no, yes as the poor guy at the counter went through the prices.

And whoever said about the shops taking games out of the plastic, drives me mad too, and I'm just waiting for when the online code is missing and they say it wasn't and I can't get my money back. I'm sure it's happened to someone already.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,913 ✭✭✭Absolam

amacachi wrote: »
    The really annoying things about trade-in prices is that even if a shop gave, say 20 quid credit and then sold that game for 20 cash they're still making a profit. When they're putting a huge mark-up on top of that it shows just how big some of their margins are.

I don't get that? How could they buy it for €20, sell it for €20, and make a profit?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Completionist

Absolam wrote: »
    I don't get that? How could they buy it for €20, sell it for €20, and make a profit?

They buy it for €20 credit.

That credit will be used on a product which nets them profit.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,333 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

A shop never has and never will get me to trade in a game for the pennies that they offer. I would sooner keep onto even a piece of sh*t for the posterity, than have to wear a T-Shirt that says "I was dumb enough to get robbed".

I reckon you'll pretty much always get a few quid for it on ebay, even if the shops are only offering you a tiny amount.

On a street, if there's two shops(Henry street) you've got HMV and gamestop on the same street, one offers 32 for uncharted 3(Thats what I got in HMV yesterday) or 15(what its worth in Game) I don't get how that works.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

On a street, if there's two shops(Henry street) you've got HMV and gamestop on the same street, one offers 32 for uncharted 3(Thats what I got in HMV yesterday) or 15(what its worth in Game) I don't get how that works.
    €32 - wow, you did well. CEX are offering €23 cash or €29 credit.

Trade in credit not cash(for the record) but still, it makes no sense. Shops are supposed to be competitive, yet some are clearly better priced/better value than others. Makes me wonder how shops like xttravision/Gamestop survive.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

They buy it for €20 credit.

That credit will be used on a product which nets them profit.

Well they do have little things like renting the premises, staff wages, electricity, VAT, city rates, rubbish charges, paying off the franchise charges, water charges, etc, etc, etc......

IMO, the only thing more annoying than shops robbing people, is people who think that opening up a store is as easy as Open store.........make money.

For every €20 profit that you just pointed out, that's really about €5 if they're lucky in most instances.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭Dublindude69

Some of it could be because without online codes a lot of people won't buy second hand games. I was told by someone that his store are having massive problems selling second hand titled like Fifa 12 and Battlefield 3 because of this. He told me that pretty much every traded copy of these two games sold come back the next day so I'm guessing they are making a big loss on these titles.

Advertisement