Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Router/Modem and USB Broadband

Options
  • 08-01-2012 11:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

May come across as completely stupid here, but it's worth a shot. I was at the local recycling centre yesterday, and I seen what I thought was a wireless router in the electronics basket. So I decided I'd take a chance and took it home, trying to set up a wireless network for the (four) people in my house.

On closer inspection, it is actually a G-Router with built-in ASDL Modem. I am currently using Three Mobile Broadband and was wondering is there anyway to use my old desktop (without WiFi) as a gateway to share the connection with the Modem/Router (eg ICS), or is this a lost case.

I am unable to use it like a normal person would because we don't have a landline, for the simple reason, eircom was charging us for Internet we were unable to use because it was a split line and could not have Internet and landline together.

My laptop (WiFi enabled) is a Packard Bell EasyNote 80 and runs Windows 7. The desktop I was hoping to use is Windowd XP, made my Image.
    The Modem is made by Belkin (not sure of the specs)

Any thoughts are welcome, I'm pretty new to this so don't really know what most of this means, but anybody in welcome to answer

TIA,
    David

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭CptSternn

It depends on the router itself. I personally am not fully versed in that specific model, but you can do this...

On your laptop with the 3 dongle you can share the connection. If you go under the network settings (or Google a bit) you will see how to do this.

Once shared it gives you the IP to use for other computers on your network. You need to change the IP of your router to then be on the same subnet. You also configure your router to use the gateway which connection sharing provided for you.

At this point, all other computers on the network connected via wifi should be able to use your single mobile dongle.

But beware -

It will be extremely slow and the more people who connect and browse the web the bigger the performance hit on your laptop.

Advertisement