Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do I need to get firebricks before fitting an instert stove (Pics Attached)

• 08-01-2012 11:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭

Hey

While renovating I removed an old not working gas fire (and a massive cement and tile fireplace and hearth) Ive attached images of what remains. It is an old style fireplace, so before what I took out, it had an even larger older style fireplace. The flu starts about 150cm from the ground I would say.

On one side of the hole pictured are 4 x 12'' (I think) concrete blocks lay flat piled on top each other. On the other side it has been cemented in.

I would rather if possible fit a insert stove. But the price of the stove is one thing, if I have to fireproof it for a lot more money it might not be worth the cost. Its still wired for gas, so I could go the cheaper alternative and just fit a gas fire, even though I dont think they look as good.

Does anyone know if the cost of fitting an insert stove is expensive?

Thanks

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Hey

While renovating I removed an old not working gas fire (and a massive cement and tile fireplace and hearth) Ive attached images of what remains. It is an old style fireplace, so before what I took out, it had an even larger older style fireplace. The flu starts about 150cm from the ground I would say.

On one side of the hole pictured are 4 x 12'' (I think) concrete blocks lay flat piled on top each other. On the other side it has been cemented in.

I would rather if possible fit a insert stove. But the price of the stove is one thing, if I have to fireproof it for a lot more money it might not be worth the cost. Its still wired for gas, so I could go the cheaper alternative and just fit a gas fire, even though I dont think they look as good.

Does anyone know if the cost of fitting an insert stove is expensive?

Thanks

Cost me 3k euro all in (including Stovax Riva 66 stove and twin walled flexi flue liner kit).

"All in" means demolishing old 70s redbrick open fireplace and rebuilding to suit the Stovax inset stove.Then the flue liner instalation and stove fitting itself.
    Its an 8kw multi fuel stove.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭oxygen

paddy147 wrote: »
    Cost me 3k euro all in (including Stovax Riva 66 stove and twin walled flexi flue liner kit).

"All in" means demolishing old 70s redbrick open fireplace and rebuilding to suit the Stovax inset stove.Then the flue liner instalation and stove fitting itself.
    Its an 8kw multi fuel stove.:)

Yikes! 3K I wont be getting one of them in a hurry. Very swish looking btw, well cool. The before and after look like different houses.

A friend of mine got a black marble hearth, surround and insert below fitted for 1,400. I dont know if it included fire bricking tho. Its a more affordable insert I think, would do for a stand in for a while...

http://www.tripp.ie/heatdesign/Main/Stoves_TR4.htm

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Yikes! 3K I wont be getting one of them in a hurry. Very swish looking btw, well cool. The before and after look like different houses.

A friend of mine got a black marble hearth, surround and insert below fitted for 1,400. I dont know if it included fire bricking tho. Its a more affordable insert I think, would do for a stand in for a while...

http://www.tripp.ie/heatdesign/Main/Stoves_TR4.htm

Thanks.:)

Both pics are of the exact same house (my house and I took the pics),but the 2nd pic is after a slight bit of a revamp.

The 3k price included the stove too.So far,Im very happy with it.I burn large logs,turf and peat briquettes in it.

Advertisement