Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

You can't quit UK without my approval, David Cameron warns Scots

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

dublinscot wrote: »
    Yeah, but there are also proper Britons that would describe their nationality as British first. In Scotland the percentage is miniscule, and getting smaller every year. They tend to be the ruling class elites (like Gordon Brown for example).

In England, the number of people answering British first to the identity question is much larger, as it's much more of a popular identity with the ordinary man in the street. IMO this is because Britishness and Englishness are almost synonymous - culturally, politically....

The only time we ever consider ourselves Brits is for the first ten days of Wimbledon, along with Andy Murray.

Then he gets beaten and suddenly he's a jock and we're all English again.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭dublinscot

Batsy wrote: »
    The Scots aren't ruled by the English.
    By and large, Scotland gets the Westminster government England votes for.

There are more Pandas in Scotland today than Tory MPs.
    I've already proven to you that an independent Scotland will have to leave the EU and, if it re-joins - which will take a while - it will have to join the euro at some point.
    You haven't "proven" anything.
    Scotland is not an EU Member state. It is a part of the EU Member State known as the UK. Therefore an independent Scotland will have to leave the EU and then apply to re-join it if it wants to as a brand new Member State. But the application to re-join could take several years and may damage its economy. And, as I've shown again above, once in the EU as a new Member State it will have to join the euro.
    I could just as easily argue that the UK will cease to be upon Scottish independence, and therefore both Scotland and whats left of the UK will need to reapply and adopt the Euro.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Cú Giobach

I think it's a disgrace that English MPs are not allowed a say in Scottish-only matters due to the fact that these are decided upon by Scottish MPs only in the Scottish parliament, whereas Scottish (and Welsh and Northern Irish) MPs are allowed a say in English-only matters due to the fact that England doesn't have its own parliament.
    What you are saying here is that you think it is a disgrace that Scotland has its own parliament, otherwise you would have advocated an English only one instead of calling for an English say in Scotland.
    That pesky thing called democracy annoying you is it?

The Tories got the most votes and most seats in England in the 2005 General Election (so an independent England would have had a Tory government between 2005 and 2010), but Blair won the election only because of the Scottish votes that Labour received.
    I don't think that's accurate. As i recall you're right in saying the Tories won more votes than Labour, but i don't think that translated to more seats.

Border-Rat wrote: »
    Blair was born in Scotland to non-Scottish parents, which is the point here - this is a topic about Scotland, who then moved to Australia and grew up in England from the late 50's onward.

As for Irish peace-keeping operations, thats exactly what they are. The 'UK' averages one war per decade. It has attacked Iraq no less than 3 times in one century.

So thw fact he spent a few years at school in Durham makes him English? Or is it the fact that you don't like him, therefore he's English.

Anyway, as has already been pointed out, it was the Scots that kept voting for him (and therefore dragging England into another war).

You do know that of those 42 deployments you mention, the majority are UN sanctioned peace keeping missions as well don't you.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 921 ✭✭✭Border-Rat

Personally I voted for Theressa May at that election, as did most people I know.

This is the thing about elections, it isn't about 'personally' or anecdotes. Its about final polls.
    The Scots have always been labour voters, so maybe you should blame them,

I see, so a Country of 5-6 million somehow projects through sheer voting power its will over a Country of 50-60 million despite there being 3 or so mainline parties.
    or just stop being such an obvious bigot.

Ad hominem.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭maggy_thatcher

I've already proven to you that an independent Scotland will have to leave the EU and, if it re-joins - which will take a while - it will have to join the euro at some point. Stop arguing with the proven facts and just admit that you were wrong and I was right.

Scotland is not an EU Member state. It is a part of the EU Member State known as the UK. Therefore an independent Scotland will have to leave the EU and then apply to re-join it if it wants to as a brand new Member State. But the application to re-join could take several years and may damage its economy. And, as I've shown again above, once in the EU as a new Member State it will have to join the euro.

To me a bigger concern for Scotland regarding re-joining the EU would be that it would be required also to implement the Schengen Agreement; to do so would mean implementing full passport/border controls between the remnants of the UK and Scotland - including properly sealing the border.

As such, I don't believe it would realistically be possible for an independent Scotland to join the EU unless the UK also agrees to join Schengen (which would mean Ireland would either also have to join as well, or implement full passport control between NI and the Republic, as the CTA would have to be abolished).

There are more Pandas in Scotland today than Tory MPs.

Brilliant!

If only they'd get jiggy with it, there could soon be more Pandas than SNP MPs as well!

The only time we ever consider ourselves Brits is for the first ten days of Wimbledon, along with Andy Murray.

Then he gets beaten and suddenly he's a jock and we're all English again.
    :D

Nah, it's more than that. Did some googling...

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2007/jan/24/labourleadership.britishidentity

Most of the decline in British identity is taking place in England, where once again less than half of the population now says that "British" is the best or only way to describe their identity. Fifteen years ago, fully 63% of people living in England went for the British identity options. Today the figure is down to 48%. The proportion who opt more naturally for an English identity is commensurately on the rise.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭Belfast

If the English decide to become independent who would the have to ask permission from?

I think an interesting way for the UK to go would be to change to a confederacy, with parliaments in Northern Ireland , Scotland , Wales and possibly England with several parliaments. Yorkshire for example.

a small UK government handling foreign affairs and defence with the rests of government being handled by the parliaments in the states.

This would bring government closer to the people.

it this new system of government the monarch would still the head of state or
    they could go for a elected President instead of the Monarch.

I think keeping the Monarch would work better in practice.

• Advertisement

Border-Rat wrote: »

I see, so a Country of 5-6 million somehow projects through sheer voting power its will over a Country of 50-60 million despite there being 3 or so mainline parties..

When those 5 or 6 million people elect 41 labour MPs.

At the 2005 general election, labour saw a 7%decline in England and a 4% decline in Scotland.

So, basically, you're talking rubbish.

The English and Scots stand side by side when it comes to war and you can try and dress the English up as the bad boys if you like, but the reality is, the Scots are every bit as culpable.

:D

Nah, it's more than that. Did some googling...

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2007/jan/24/labourleadership.britishidentity

Most of the decline in British identity is taking place in England, where once again less than half of the population now says that "British" is the best or only way to describe their identity. Fifteen years ago, fully 63% of people living in England went for the British identity options. Today the figure is down to 48%. The proportion who opt more naturally for an English identity is commensurately on the rise.

You are working on the erroneous assumption that there are still English people living in England though.

When those 5 or 6 million people elect 41 labour MPs.

At the 2005 general election, labour saw a 7%decline in England and a 4% decline in Scotland.
    It's true that since the 1950s Scotland has always voted Labour to "keep the Tories out".

But how many times have the 5 million Scots decided the government of the rest of the UK? Not many. Usually it's the other way round.
    The English and Scots stand side by side when it comes to war and you can try and dress the English up as the bad boys if you like, but the reality is, the Scots are every bit as culpable.
    I'm almost certain an independent Scotland would not have invaded Iraq.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭Batsy

The English could have a referendum on independence tomorrow if you wanted. Nobody does though (well, apart from the odd outraged Daily Mail reader)

Have you got any figures on the percentage of English people who don't want an independence referendum?
    Funny how when unionists mention the 'Arc of Prosperity' they always forget to mention Norway, Sweden, Denmark....

As far as I'm aware, the SNP's fabled Arc of Prosperity consisted of just Ireland, Iceland and Norway, all countries that the SNP wanted to model an independent Scotland on (although we now know that it's not a good idea to model your economy on those of Ireland and Iceland). Two-thirds of that Arc of Prosperity have now gone tits-up, and there are now starting to be economic worries in Norway (whose economy wouldn't have performed as well as it has done had it been in the EU).

The SNP were wrong about the Arc of Prosperity and now they rarely mention it.
    There are around 20 billion barrels left according to the latest UK Oil & Gas report. That's around 30-40% of what has already been extracted. Revenue-wise, at current prices, that's around 1 trillion £.

According to Oil & Gas UK’s 2011 economic report there may only be 14 billion barrels of oil and gas left in the North Sea and extracting this at the current rate of 2.2 million barrels a day means it could run out in just 17 years.

As the oil and gas becomes more difficult to extract, production is likely to slow – it’s already down 6.5% compared with last year and by 2021 it could be that North Sea production is down to 500,000 barrels a day.

British North Sea oil production reached its peak in 1999. Back then, we were producing more oil than Iraq, Kuwait or Nigeria. The following year, we pumped out almost twice as much natural gas as Iran.

However, British production of North Sea oil has halved in the past decade. Britain has gone from being comfortably self-sufficient in oil and gas to being a net importer.

Also, I say BRITISH North Sea oil production as that what it is. It is NOT Scotland's oil. Given that Scotland is not a sovereign state, it has no effective maritime boundaries, so there is no definitive 'Scottish' sector of the North Sea in the same way there is a Norwegian sector or a Danish sector or, of course, a UK sector. So I never listen to those numpties who say that "Scottish" oil is propping up the UK economy.
    The Shetland Tartan Army lads i know from the fitba certainly don't agree!

It's just another Unionist canard. Why have there been no moves over the past 40 years towards independence for Shetland?

Most Shetland Islanders and Orkney Islanders do not consider themselves to be Scottish. They consider themselves to be Shetlanders and Orcadians first. They have more of an affinity with Norway which is inherent in their local dialect, a form of Anglicised Norwegian. The Up Helly Aa festival celebrates Shetland's Norse heritage on the last Tuesday of January each year. 1,000 Shetland Islanders dress up as Vikings and carry flaming torches as they make their way through Lerwick, where they eventually set fire to a replica Viking ship.
    No, you're forgetting that RBS is effectively a British bank. And since the vast majority of RBS customers are English, an agreement would have been reached between the Scottish and RumpUK governments. This is what happened with Fortis bank in the Benelux.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/7641132.stm

RBS is a Scottish bank, based in Edinburgh. And I'm sure it'd still be be based in Edinburgh should Scotland become independent. And I think you are wrong to say that most of its customers are English. That's because RBS has 700 branches and most of them are in Scotland.
    I imagine Scottish defence spending would become more in line with similar sized nations, which would likely involve base closures as you say. The cost of this would be offset by the savings made on Trident and illegal foreign adventures however.

I would imagine that the Scots would probably have a military not much larger than what Ireland's is now. They'll say: "We don't want to spend so much on defence. Let's get rid of all the submarines, most of the ships, all the nukes and give ourselves a much smaller military."

And then when Scotland is ever threatened by another country the Scots will suddenly go crying to the English asking them for military help to help defend Scotland because they aren't able to do it themselves.
    Not true. Look at the Czech Republic. Joined the EU without having to adopt the Euro.

Since Czech Republic joined the EU in 2004, it has been bound by the Treaty of Accession 2003 to join the euro at some point. It MUST join the stricken euro at some point. The same will apply to an independent Scotland should it re-join the EU. I wonder if this is something the Scottish people know.

It's true that since the 1950s Scotland has always voted Labour to "keep the Tories out".

But how many times have the 5 million Scots decided the government of the rest of the UK? Not many. Usually it's the other way round.

I'm almost certain an independent Scotland would not have invaded Iraq.

Twenty three European countries, including the likes of Romania, Georgia, Norway, Latvia, Hungary, Denmark and Iceland, took part in the Iraq War, so it would have been likely that an independent Scotland would have, too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Nodin wrote: »
    You're 'explaining' it by doing the same thing again. What do you mean by the bolded section?

Did I bold it again :rolleyes: awfully sorry old chap. You seem to be fixated with 'the likes of' for some reason, but its a harmless phrase meaning 'the likes of' and this context I mean the likes of Alex Salmond (A politician on a mission) to break up the United Kingdom, that's all Nodin, relax.

BBC Radio 4 tonight 8pm = All about the this subject, enjoy :)

By and large, Scotland gets the Westminster government England votes for.

Only through the accident of England having a larger population than Scotland. The chances are that if England and Scotland had the same size population it would be Scotland nearly always getting the government it wants and imposing it onto England.

But, despite Scotland having a vastly smaller population than England, it's still imposed governments on England a fair few times (such as in 2005) and England was still ruled by a Scottish-dominated government - dubbed "The Scottish Mafia" - between 1997 and 2010.

Not only that, but up until 2005 Scotland was over-represented in Westminster, having more MPs per capita than England had.

Scotland may be a nation of just 4 million but it has had a huge influence on British politics, so is in no way "ruled by England."
    I could just as easily argue that the UK will cease to be upon Scottish independence, and therefore both Scotland and whats left of the UK will need to reapply and adopt the Euro.

An independent Scotland having broken away from the UK will be a new nation, and therefore will have to re-apply to join the EU and will have to join the Euro.

The rest of the UK will still be considered as the same state as it was previously with a part of it having broken away. This was the case when Ireland broke away in 1922. It was Ireland which was considered to be a brand new state, not the remainder of the UK. As a result the Irish Free State had to apply to re-join the League of Nations. The UK didn't.

Have you got any figures on the percentage of English people who don't want an independence referendum?
    It's obviously not an issue or there would be some sort of political movement towards it.
    The SNP were wrong about the Arc of Prosperity and now they rarely mention it.
    Wrong about the Ireland and Iceland parts of it certainly.

The general point that the SNP were making regarding 'the Arc' - i.e. giving the Scottish Parliament power to set economic policy is still valid though.
    According to Oil & Gas UK’s 2011 economic report there may only be 14 billion barrels of oil and gas left in the North Sea and extracting this at the current rate of 2.2 million barrels a day means it could run out in just 17 years.
    14 billion is the lower estimate. As for 17 years, unionists have been saying it will run out soon for decades.

Either way, it'll be a huge bonus to the economic fortunes of a future independent Scotland.
    Also, I say BRITISH North Sea oil production as that what it is. It is NOT Scotland's oil. Given that Scotland is not a sovereign state, it has no effective maritime boundaries, so there is no definitive 'Scottish' sector of the North Sea in the same way there is a Norwegian sector or a Danish sector or, of course, a UK sector. So I never listen to those numpties who say that "Scottish" oil is propping up the UK economy.
    85% lies in Scottish waters, and would belong to an independent Scotland. Or are you saying the UK wouldn't respect international law on this issue?
    Most Shetland Islanders and Orkney Islanders do not consider themselves to be Scottish. They consider themselves to be Shetlanders and Orcadians first. They have more of an affinity with Norway which is inherent in their local dialect, a form of Anglicised Norwegian. The Up Helly Aa festival celebrates Shetland's Norse heritage on the last Tuesday of January each year. 1,000 Shetland Islanders dress up as Vikings and carry flaming torches as they make their way through Lerwick, where they eventually set fire to a replica Viking ship.
    I know all that. I don't see how its relevant to the debate though? There has been no move by Shetlanders to setup their own independent state.

This is just a canard unionists have been using since the 1970s to undermine Scottish independence.
    RBS is a Scottish bank, based in Edinburgh. And I'm sure it'd still be be based in Edinburgh should Scotland become independent. And I think you are wrong to say that most of its customers are English. That's because RBS has 700 branches and most of them are in Scotland.
    Are you forgetting Natwest? Ulster Bank? What about all the other subsiduaries?
    And then when Scotland is ever threatened by another country the Scots will suddenly go crying to the English asking them for military help to help defend Scotland because they aren't able to do it themselves.
    How does Ireland defend itself? Denmark? Norway?
    Since Czech Republic joined the EU in 2004, it has been bound by the Treaty of Accession 2003 to join the euro at some point. It MUST join the stricken euro at some point.
    Define "some point"?
    Twenty three European countries, including the likes of Romania, Georgia, Norway, Latvia, Hungary, Denmark and Iceland, took part in the Iraq War, so it would have been likely that an independent Scotland would have, too.
    We'll never know for sure.

I'm fairly certain though that had the SNP been in power at the time, then Scotland would have stayed out of Iraq.
    Only through the accident of England having a larger population than Scotland.
    Yep. That's what makes a mockery of the term 'union'.

How can you have an equal partnership when one party is 10 times the size of the other?

As an aside, when the union was agreed Scotland's population was two-thirds that of England. Now it's a tenth or less.
    The chances are that if England and Scotland had the same size population it would be Scotland nearly always getting the government it wants and imposing it onto England.
    Why is that?
    But, despite Scotland having a vastly smaller population than England, it's still imposed governments on England a fair few times (such as in 2005) and England was still ruled by a Scottish-dominated government - dubbed "The Scottish Mafia" - between 1997 and 2010.

Not only that, but up until 2005 Scotland was over-represented in Westminster, having more MPs per capita than England had.

Scotland may be a nation of just 4 million but it has had a huge influence on British politics, so is in no way "ruled by England."
    Your attitude shows up the true notion of this "partnership".

"Scottish Mafia"? :rolleyes:

Those poor put-upon citizens of England. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

LordSutch wrote: »
    Did I bold it again :rolleyes: awfully sorry old chap. You seem to be fixated with 'the likes of' for some reason, but its a harmless phrase meaning 'the likes of' and this context I mean the likes of Alex Salmond (A politician on a mission) to break up the United Kingdom, that's all Nodin, relax.

BBC Radio 4 tonight 8pm = All about the this subject, enjoy :)

I'd go as far as to say that if the Cold War was still on, Alex Salmond would fit the bill as an archetypal Fifth Columnist - perhaps it never really ended and he his? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee

What's the point of Scotland leading? Won't they still be relying on England for support? Military, public schooling, health etc.

I imagine Scotland would be far better off remaining in the UK than out of it.

Wouldn't the whole thing be vastly damaging to both England's and Scotland's economies.

Yes, just look at what Norway has become since it broke away from Sweden in 1905. A complete basket case. The same would have happened to Scotland if they hadn't had England to take care of their oil and gas for them and spend the revenue much more wisely than those dumb Jocks would have known how to. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

What's the point of Scotland leading? Won't they still be relying on England for support? Military, public schooling, health etc.

I imagine Scotland would be far better off remaining in the UK than out of it.

Wouldn't the whole thing be vastly damaging to both England's and Scotland's economies.
    I imagine it is just a case of we want to and possibly can. That is the sort of mentality the SNP seem to be approaching this topic with.

unionists have been saying it will run out soon for decades.

No. Experts on North Sea oil have been saying it.
    Either way, it'll be a huge bonus to the economic fortunes of a future independent Scotland.

In June last year an official study said that Scotland had a significant deficit, even after including North Sea oil revenues:

The annual assessment of Scotland's economy found that, in 2009-10, the country had a £14.9bn current spending deficit without taxes from North Sea oil and gas and a still sizeable £9bn deficit if it had a full geographical share of North Sea revenues.

The findings, in the Government Expenditure and Revenues report, led to new attacks on Alex Salmond's claims that an independent Scotland could use oil revenues to build up a substantial "oil fund" while still paying for heavily-subsidised public services including free prescriptions and a council tax freeze.

The Scottish National party argues that Scotland "owns" 90% of current North Sea oil and gas tax income, based on its geographical share of the North Sea. Last year's assessment found that booming North Sea incomes in 2008-09 would have given Scotland a £1.9bn current budget surplus.

But those figures exclude capital spending. Even with oil receipts, the Centre for Public Policy for Regions (CPPR) at Glasgow University said including capital spending would have left an independent Scotland with continual deficits for the past five years, from 1.7% to 10.6% last year – broadly similar to the UK's overall deficits.

Michael Moore, the secretary of state for Scotland, said the figures made a "compelling case" for Scotland remaining within the UK.

"Today's figures show a £9bn plunge into the red which wipes out the modest surplus of previous years many times over," he said.

"That would have huge consequences for Scotland if it was not able to spread the risk of that volatility as part of a wider UK economy. There is no escaping that fact, no matter how creatively the Scottish government interprets these figures.

"The year-on-year variations of the oil prices are far better managed in a UK-wide economy. It means Scotland can benefit in the good times and manage its risk effectively when the price drops. As part of the United Kingdom, we share in the risks and we share in the recovery".

Richard Baker, Scottish Labour's finance spokesman, said: "These figures show the huge economic risks associated with independence, and starkly illustrate the volatility of oil. Revenues have halved in the last year alone, and this really shows the folly of relying on oil to anchor the Scottish economy.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2011/jun/22/new-study-undermines-economic-independence-scotland

Not only that, but in 2009 a Scotland Office paper entitled “Scotland and Oil” dealing with the tax income from oil and gas fields around the UK concluded that:

• If all North Sea oil revenues had been allocated to Scotland there would only have been 9 years out of the last 27 when Scotland’s finances would have been in surplus.

• Including all North Sea oil revenues the last year of surplus was in 1988-89 and since then there has been 18 years of annual deficits with Scotland’s spending being greater than the tax raised in Scotland.

• Even if all oil revenues had been allocated to Scotland the total deficit would have outweighed the total surplus by £20bn since 1980-81.

http://www.scotlandoffice.gov.uk/scotlandoffice/files/Scotland%20and%20Oil%20-%20Background%20paper.pdf

85% lies in Scottish waters, and would belong to an independent Scotland. Or are you saying the UK wouldn't respect international law on this issue?

The SNP claims that Scotland would receive 95 per cent of oil revenue, but its calculation is based on the total revenue from oil and gas. Its opponents say that they do not take into account the large number of GAS fields in English waters.

A Prof Haszeldine says: “The vast majority of the oil is in Scottish waters. With practically all of the gas in the UK in the southern North Sea, that is in English territory.” He says it is hard to separate the revenue from oil and gas.
    I know all that. I don't see how its relevant to the debate though? There has been no move by Shetlanders to setup their own independent state.

There has been an independence movement in the Shetlands. A movement that calls for the Shetlands to be independent from Scotland.

And the SNP has promised that, should Scotland move towards independence, Shetland will be free to choose its own path: whether to remain in Scotland; whether to become an independent state; or even whether the islands should break away from Scotland and become part of England, giving England the revenues from the islands' oil fields.

Did you know that the Shetland Islanders have never voted for the SNP? SNP always do miserably there. Not only that, there is a good reason why the Shetland Islanders do not see eye to eye with the Scots:

Shetland, along with Orkney, only became part of Scotland in 1469, when they were pawned to the Scottish crown as part of a dowry payment from the king of Norway and Denmark to James III of Scotland. The agreement made was that once the full dowry was paid the islands would be returned to Denmark, and until that time Norse laws would remain in place. But Scotland reneged on the deal.

Denmark appealed to the Scottish crown several times over the ensuing centuries, but to no avail. Norse law was eventually ended in 1611, though Denmark has, in theory, never renounced its claim to the isles. Following the Act of Union between Scotland and England in 1707 which saw the islands becoming part of the UK, at a time when many islanders still spoke the native Norn as their first language, the vast majority of Shetlanders were forced into serfdom. The people were cruelly exploited by their new Scottish landlords until the end of the 19th century.

This tainted history explains not only the antipathy towards Scotland, which continued well into the 20th century, but also the persistent nostalgia for a romanticised, Nordic past, which is most apparent in the Viking festivals of Up Helly Aa, held around the isles each winter.

But the uniqueness of Shetland identity would hold little interest beyond the pubs and homes of the islands were it not for one, significant factor: oil.

Throughout the 1970s and 80s, while the Scottish nationalists were shouting from the rooftops about “our oil”, there was a faint but significant murmur from the Northern Isles that, actually, it’s ours.

When the North Sea was first being explored for oil, Shetland was quick to see the possibilities. The Zetland County Council Act was passed by parliament in 1974, giving the local council full control over all developments around the isles, and also allowing them to build up a massive oil fund over the following years. It has made Shetland into one of the wealthiest parts of the UK. The oil terminal at Sullom Voe became the largest in Europe, handling, at its peak, 1.4 million barrels a day, and although production has decreased since that time, the terminal is expected to last until at least 2020.

It is no surprise then that an independence movement developed within Shetland. It saw as its models the Channel Islands and the Isle of Man, as well as the islands' closest neighbour, Faroe, an autonomous dependency of Denmark.

Interestingly, the SNP has never rejected the right of the isles to autonomy, and the party did not stand against the coalition candidate of the Orkney and Shetland Movements in the 1987 election. The SNP has promised that, should Scotland move towards independence, Shetland will be free to choose its own path. But what that path will be is not at all clear.

http://www.newstatesman.com/blogs/malachy-tallack/2007/04/shetland-scotland-independence

Are you forgetting Natwest? Ulster Bank? What about all the other subsiduaries?

As part of the RBS group they are all banks that would cease to exist now had Scotland been an independent nation. The cost of bailing them out was greater than Scotland's entire GDP, so an independent Scotland would not have been able to bail them out. They were bailed out thanks to Scotland being joined to England.

How does Ireland defend itself? Denmark? Norway?

Ireland doesn't defend itself. It relies on Britain to do that. It shelters under the British military umbrella.

Define "some point"?

When the conditions are right for Czech Republic to join the euro it will do so, whether it wants to or not. This is the fate that awaits an independent Scotland.

How can you have an equal partnership when one party is 10 times the size of the other?

How can you have an equal partnership when Scotland was given its own parliament and England wasn't? How can you have an equal partnership when Scottish, Welsh and Northern Irish MPs are allowed to vote on English-only matters when English MPs are not allowed to have a say in Scottish-only, Welsh-only, or Northern Irish-only MPs?
    As an aside, when the union was agreed Scotland's population was two-thirds that of England. Now it's a tenth or less.

In 1707 Scotland's population (1 million) was a fifth that of England (5 million).
    Your attitude shows up the true notion of this "partnership".

"Scottish Mafia"? :rolleyes:

The Scottish Mafia, or the Scottish Raj, is a term is used in politics to pejoratively refer to a group of Scottish Labour Party politicians and broadcasters who are believed to have undue influence over the governance of England, such as the unfair constitutional arrangement allowing Scottish MPs to vote on English matters, but, by convention, not the other way around.
    Those poor put-upon citizens of England. :D

Those poor put-upon citizens of Scotland. Boo hoo.

realies wrote: »
    On another note Jamaica's new prime minister, Portia Simpson-Miller, has pledged to make the nation a republic, thereby severing ties to Great Britain and the English monarchy.

1) There hasn't been an English monarchy since 1603 when King James VI of Scotland placed himself upon the Throne of England as well and called himself King James I of England. Therefore it is the British monarchy (but it will also be fairly accurate to say that it is the Scottish monarchy ruling England).

2) Jamaica cannot sever ties with the British monarchy because the British monarchy doesn't rule Jamaica. The Jamaican monarchy rules Jamaica, and it is a completely different institution to the British monarchy. Jamaica becoming a republic would therefore be nothing to do with Britain.

Ach don't worry about that. We'll be too busy partying with our similarly oil-rich Scandinavian friends to have time to eat dinner. Good luck with looking after the kids (Wales and NI) :)

The government is spending more on Scottish individuals than their English counterparts but still expects English taxpayers to subsidise this difference, Treasury figures reveal.

Last year the government spent £8,588 of public money on the average English person, compared to an average figure of £10,212 for the average Scot.

This is a 15% increase on the previous year and it is expected to increase further in the future.

As well as English families benefiting from less government expenditure, English families also pay approximately £420 extra a year subsidising the difference.

Scottish families benefit from no prescription fees, free eye tests, free bus travel for over-sixties and no annual tuition fees for students.

Widening gap

Conservative MPs have criticised the widening gap at a time when public funding cuts are widespread.

Gordon Henderson, representing Sittingbourne & Sheppey, says: "It is simply wrong that English taxpayers are being asked to help subsidise people living in Scotland for a range of services not available in England."

http://www.moneywise.co.uk/news/2011-08-30/scots-get-1624-more-public-money-english

No. Experts on North Sea oil have been saying it.
    Yes, and they keep finding more or developing new techniques to drill the stuff they previously considered unreachable.

Anyway, i find the whole oil issue so boring and tedious (probably because folk have been arguing about it for decades).
    In June last year an official study said that Scotland had a significant deficit, even after including North Sea oil revenues:
    All those figures prove is that over the past 30 odd years, Scotland would have had less of a deficit if it was independent than remaining part of the UK.

When arguing about having small deficits i don't think you can hold the UK up as a shining example! ;)
    The SNP claims that Scotland would receive 95 per cent of oil revenue, but its calculation is based on the total revenue from oil and gas. Its opponents say that they do not take into account the large number of GAS fields in English waters.

A Prof Haszeldine says: “The vast majority of the oil is in Scottish waters. With practically all of the gas in the UK in the southern North Sea, that is in English territory.” He says it is hard to separate the revenue from oil and gas.
    I'm sure the split will all be worked out amicably come the independence negotiations.
    There has been an independence movement in the Shetlands. A movement that calls for the Shetlands to be independent from Scotland.
    How many votes did their candidate at the last elections get? (or any election for that matter) :rolleyes:
    And the SNP has promised that, should Scotland move towards independence, Shetland will be free to choose its own path: whether to remain in Scotland; whether to become an independent state; or even whether the islands should break away from Scotland and become part of England, giving England the revenues from the islands' oil fields.
    Seems fair enough!
    Did you know that the Shetland Islanders have never voted for the SNP? SNP always do miserably there.
    Up until the last election there were large parts of Scotland that had never voted SNP. The Shetland example isn't that unusual.
    As part of the RBS group they are all banks that would cease to exist now had Scotland been an independent nation. The cost of bailing them out was greater than Scotland's entire GDP, so an independent Scotland would not have been able to bail them out. They were bailed out thanks to Scotland being joined to England.
    Exactly, so a deal similar to the Fortis bailout in the Benelux nations would have had to be reached... i.e. both governments would fund the bailout.
    Ireland doesn't defend itself. It relies on Britain to do that. It shelters under the British military umbrella.
    Sounds good to me! :)

Though it's the EU and US military umbrella more than the British one.
    When the conditions are right for Czech Republic to join the euro it will do so, whether it wants to or not. This is the fate that awaits an independent Scotland.
    Who decides when those conditions are right?

We both know there's no way the Czechs will be joining the Euro anytime soon, and they won't be forced to either.
    How can you have an equal partnership when Scotland was given its own parliament and England wasn't? How can you have an equal partnership when Scottish, Welsh and Northern Irish MPs are allowed to vote on English-only matters when English MPs are not allowed to have a say in Scottish-only, Welsh-only, or Northern Irish-only MPs?
    I agree that the whole West Lothian issue is unfair on England.

Remember the SNP abstain in Westminster on purely English issues.
    The Scottish Mafia, or the Scottish Raj, is a term is used in politics to pejoratively refer to a group of Scottish Labour Party politicians and broadcasters who are believed to have undue influence over the governance of England, such as the unfair constitutional arrangement allowing Scottish MPs to vote on English matters, but, by convention, not the other way around.
    Aye, i know what it refers to and its a load of xenophobic shyte :)

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭Athlone_Bhoy

The government is spending more on Scottish individuals than their English counterparts but still expects English taxpayers to subsidise this difference, Treasury figures reveal.

Last year the government spent £8,588 of public money on the average English person, compared to an average figure of £10,212 for the average Scot.

This is a 15% increase on the previous year and it is expected to increase further in the future.

As well as English families benefiting from less government expenditure, English families also pay approximately £420 extra a year subsidising the difference.

Scottish families benefit from no prescription fees, free eye tests, free bus travel for over-sixties and no annual tuition fees for students.

Widening gap

Conservative MPs have criticised the widening gap at a time when public funding cuts are widespread.

Gordon Henderson, representing Sittingbourne & Sheppey, says: "It is simply wrong that English taxpayers are being asked to help subsidise people living in Scotland for a range of services not available in England."

http://www.moneywise.co.uk/news/2011-08-30/scots-get-1624-more-public-money-english

All the better reason to let them leave then?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,202 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Anyone have an updated one of these maps? the only info I have is from a few years ago showing the following

taxmap800x941.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

[QUOTE Batsy
    Jamaica cannot sever ties with the British monarchy because the British monarchy doesn't rule Jamaica. The Jamaican monarchy rules Jamaica, and it is a completely different institution to the British monarchy. Jamaica becoming a republic would therefore be nothing to do with Britain.[/QUOTE]

Jamaica is a parliamentary democracy and constitutional monarchy with the monarch being represented by a Governor-General. The head of state is Queen Elizabeth II, who officially uses the title "Queen of Jamaica" when she visits the country or performs duties overseas on Jamaica's behalf.The new government intended to abandon the British monarch as Jamaica's official head of state and instead adopt a republican form of government. Jamaica declared independence from Britain in 1962 but remains within the Commonwealth and has the Queen as head of state.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

If Scotland leaves the UK, then the UK would effectively disappear. All that would be left would be England, its long-time vassal state Wales, and far to the north-west the unwanted Northern Ireland. Even if unionists were determined to avoid re-uniting with the rest of Ireland, they would have a difficult choice to make – to try to follow Scotland out of the UK and form some sort of Scottish-Northern Irish federation, or to try to persuade the English to keep up the pretence that there is still a UK. Its going to be very interesting times ahead.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Very interesting times indeed but not necessarily in a nice way for us here in the Republic. A newly independent revenue seeking Scotland may well be a dynamic player in the fight for High tech jobs, jobs that they may try & poach from us here in the similarly sized Republic. Its all very well with some folk hoping that the UK breaks up, but the consequenses are many and varied and far reaching, and some of them (may)? have a negative affect on us here.

Advertisement