Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brendan O' Connor trying to re-inflate the property market (again)

Options
  • 09-01-2012 12:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭

He starts off the piece by acknowledging (in his own way) that he has 'history' with predictions in this area. He then goes on to give a completely illogical argument for why the property market is about to take off again, based on nothing more than conjecture and idle whisperings.
    ...everyone thinks property is going to keep falling so they are waiting for better bargains.

Dublin is generally held to be the exception to the rule. Those in the know tell us that family homes in Dublin may have bottomed already and are starting to sell now, particularly

apparently in Ds 4, 6 and 8.

Oh really Brendan? Well Collapso tracks asking prices all over Ireland and according to it prices in those areas are still dropping (up to yesterday):

Dublin 4

Dublin 6

Dublin 8

Now there is a murmur starting to go around about good city centre apartments in Dublin. At least three different experts, guys I would have done well to listen to five years ago, .....

You mean before you wrote your piece in 2007 saying the smart ballsy guys were buying up property right now?
    The other thing you will hear out there on the grapevine is that people with money are now starting to dip back into property, and that as they continue to see value in it they will hoover it all up, because they have the cash to do so. And in the process they will become even richer, while the rest of us end up owning nothing.

Playing to people's fears and greed at the same time. Classy stuff!
    .... rich people are buying up all the property because they recognise that at, in many cases, a third of its previous value, some property might now represent a once-in-a-lifetime buying opportunity.

Another property bubble-Inspirational!
    Nowadays, any taxi driver, or anyone at all really, can tell you for certain that property is going to go down again this year and that it may start levelling off again in 2013. Of course, everyone is probably right. But maybe the picture is a little bit more nuanced than that.

grasp those straws Brendan!
    But remember when everybody knew everything for sure before? Except they didn't? Nobody knew really. The Government, our politicians, the mighty IMF, the Department of Finance, all the banks, most economists, all the property experts, property developers who had made hundreds of millions up to then. All of them got it wrong.

lol! At least he said 'most'

All I want to know is how much negtive equity is this guy currently in to sink to this level? There isn't a single fact or reference in the whole bloody piece!

link for your own amusement

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭ILikeBananas

I read that article in isolation but apparently it's just one part of a concerted effort by the Sindo this weekend. There are four different pieces in two pages telling us that the bust is over and it's time to start buying again. Then the banner headline on the front of the paper reads:
    Whenever Irish people gather together we talk about it. The rich are buying it. Go on, admit you're thinking about it. Property: Everything you need to know

Translation: Tony O' Reilly demands that you buy property now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭Mr. Loverman

But the economy is still falling apart.

The guy thinks like a child.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 290 ✭✭Atomicjuicer

Some of us who've been waiting 3 years actually are looking at buying property this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Lawros Tache

Some of us who've been waiting 3 years actually are looking at buying property this year.

Why?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Zamboni

Some of us who have been waiting 5-6 years still wouldn't touch it with a barge pole.

On the Brendan O'Connor thing, a failed comedian and a terrible broadcaster being allowed to write a piece on property in a national newspaper is just an epic fail.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Motorist

Don't forget this gem from O'Connor, and this was published in mid-2007 !

"The smart, ballsy guys are buying up property right now"

http://www.independent.ie/opinion/analysis/the-smart-ballsy-guys-are-buying-up-property-right-now-1047118.html

He's a failed comedian, an abysmal chat show host and even worse "journalist" working at the biggest rag publication in this State.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭ronan45

"A year ago you couldn't give away apartments in Dublin. Now there is a murmur starting to go around about good city centre apartments in Dublin"

Yes them murmours around Dublin apartments................

SO brendy how many of them there bad boys did ya schnap up :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭SHOVELLER

Brendan O'Connor. Twat (again)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

roll up,roll up. we've turned the corner. start your property portfolio now. get on the ladder you langer. forget those on the sidelines whinging and moaning. tell them go and commit suicide.:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭gigino

Motorist wrote: »
    "The smart, ballsy guys are buying up property right now"
    and how else would you describe the speculators who were gambling buying up property back then ?

Problem is, they are not so smart + ballsy now. Their tail is between their legs.
    He's a failed comedian, an abysmal chat show host and even worse "journalist" working at the biggest rag publication in this State

His show on Saturday night is better than Tubs on the Late Late, and he is successfully writing for the leading, most popular broadsheet Sunday paper.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭beerbaron

gigino wrote: »
    and how else would you describe the speculators who were gambling buying up property back then ?

Problem is, they are not so smart + ballsy now. Their tail is between their legs.

His show on Saturday night is better than Tubs on the Late Late, and he is successfully writing for the leading, most popular broadsheet Sunday paper.

Hi Brendan, How've you been ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭Jagle

and he is successfully writing for the leading, most popular broadsheet Sunday paper.

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭xper

ronan45 wrote: »
    "A year ago you couldn't give away apartments in Dublin. Now there is a murmur starting to go around about good city centre apartments in Dublin"

Yes them murmours around Dublin apartments................

SO brendy how many of them there bad boys did ya schnap up :rolleyes
    Who's in the house? No one's in the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Piriz

its quite depressing that someone authorised the publishing of these baseless opinions attempting to persuade people to buy property in a bankrupt broken country. i guess anyone who does buy in the next year or two will contribute to the dead cat bounce which once we get that out of the way we can see a further decline towards the real market value...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭emmetmurphy

Jagle wrote: »
    :rolleyes:

Whats with the rolly eyes dude ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭Jagle

Whats with the rolly eyes dude ?

the poster specified the writings of brendan to be successful.

I was implying these was nothing successful about it

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Motorist

Problem is, they are not so smart + ballsy now. Their tail is between their legs.[/QUOTE]

Exactly so OConnor's analysis was completely wrong then as it is again. Not surprising coming from OReilly's rag which cheerleaded the property boom and the "celebrity lifestyle" while the country was being flushed down the toilet.

His show is absolute tripe. Have you actually watched it? The Sindo has the highest "circulation" figures - it gives away a huge amount of news papers for free to hotels. pubs, etc so it can claim to be the "most popular broadsheet Sunday paper". That in turn attracts advertisers. I'd love to see the actual sales figures which are closely guarded.

It is fitting a journalist of the calibre of OConnor works for such a toxic rag along with behemoths such as perjurer Willie O'Dea , Bertie's old love interest Celia Larkin (and failed beautician), celebrity journalists Alison OConnor and Niamh Horan not to mention old delusional Harris who defended Bertie to the hilt during the Mahon Tribunal. Dont forget either that editor Fanning said on the Late Late Show last year that he wasn't going to vote in the general election. Must have been too embarrassed to mention the party his paper has cheerleaded since 1997 - FF.

Finally, I have to grin when I think that the Sindo played a huge part in getting their Fianna Fail masters back into power in 2007. And now that is the very reason Fianna Fail are struggling so badly with 20 seats won in 2011.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

also remember that many of these media guys and gals are up to their necks in the property game with their mega mortgages from anglo irish, and will stoop to any low to try and get it moving to recoup their losses.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,495 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

Which Brendan O Connor is it? It's a fairly generic name. Is it the one who hosts that show on Saturday nights or the Mrs. Browns Boys one?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭emmetmurphy

Jagle wrote: »
    the poster specified the writings of brendan to be successful.

I was implying these was nothing successful about it

okay cheers for that Bajel

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭DebDynamite

dory wrote: »
    Which Brendan O Connor is it? It's a fairly generic name. Is it the one who hosts that show on Saturday nights or the Mrs. Browns Boys one?

The Saturday Night Show guy. Brendan O'Carroll is the Mrs Brown's guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

I have to ask, just to make sure that this actually is as tragi-comic as it seems...
    This is this Brendan O'Connor right?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭ronan45

xper wrote: »

He may not know much about property but feck me his tunes are catchy.

Jees in da hauseeeeeee

WHuz in de hauseeeeeeeeee

Jeebus in the hauseeeeeeeeeeeee

:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭gigino

His show is absolute tripe. Have you actually watched it?

yes and its a lot better than that ff lackey Tubridy on the Late Late.

The Sindo has the highest "circulation" figures .

As audited by official independent sources.

If you still doubt its success, look in any newsagent early on Sunday Morning and see which stack of Sunday papers is the biggest. Check later that evening and see what has sold. Or ask the owner. Its not rocket science.

I'll agree that the Sindo used to have an absolute p***k of an editor of the property suppliment during the boom....whose name escapes me now. The damage he did to the country is incalculable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 904 ✭✭✭yourpics

so OConnor's analysis was completely wrong then as it is again. Not surprising coming from OReilly's rag which cheerleaded the property boom and the "celebrity lifestyle" while the country was being flushed down the toilet.

His show is absolute tripe. Have you actually watched it? The Sindo has the highest "circulation" figures - it gives away a huge amount of news papers for free to hotels. pubs, etc so it can claim to be the "most popular broadsheet Sunday paper". That in turn attracts advertisers. I'd love to see the actual sales figures which are closely guarded.

It is fitting a journalist of the calibre of OConnor works for such a toxic rag along with behemoths such as perjurer Willie O'Dea , Bertie's old love interest Celia Larkin (and failed beautician), celebrity journalists Alison OConnor and Niamh Horan not to mention old delusional Harris who defended Bertie to the hilt during the Mahon Tribunal. Dont forget either that editor Fanning said on the Late Late Show last year that he wasn't going to vote in the general election. Must have been too embarrassed to mention the party his paper has cheerleaded since 1997 - FF.

Finally, I have to grin when I think that the Sindo played a huge part in getting their Fianna Fail masters back into power in 2007. And now that is the very reason Fianna Fail are struggling so badly with 20 seats won in 2011.

Excellent post. Sums it all up.

O'Connor is a Bertie supporter through and through. He hasn't a clue about anything.

The Indo and The Sindo are complete rags, full of FF support as well as west brit opinions.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

I read that article in isolation but apparently it's just one part of a concerted effort by the Sindo this weekend. There are four different pieces in two pages telling us that the bust is over and it's time to start buying again. Then the banner headline on the front of the paper reads:

Please please tell me you didn't buy the rag ?
    His show on Saturday night is better than Tubs on the Late Late,

Feckin hell that is not much of a recommendation now is it.
    He beats a party hack who gained his position through nepotism.

Speaking of nepotism, isn't o'connors other half daughter of indo/sindo editor or some such ?
    and he is successfully writing for the leading, most popular broadsheet Sunday paper.

Hmmmm I can think of lots of untalented people who have been "successful".
    They are the stables of the xfactors and the other crap reality shows.
    Actually o'connor is a prime example of the current malaise in modern society where neck and front trumps talent.
    Those who shout loudest and are willing to whore themselves go furthest.

The guy is noxious just like most of the ones he cosies up to.

There are only two contributors on that rag that I have anytime for and they are Gene Kerrigan and Shane Ross.
    And they do not make it worthwhile to purchase the rag.
    The fact that the paper was so far ensconced up aherns hole makes it a joke.

Then to add insult to injury they hire his ex sleeping partner, with absolutely no journalistic background, and one of ex ministers who is a noted liar says a lot about it.
    washman3 wrote: »
    also remember that many of these media guys and gals are up to their necks in the property game with their mega mortgages from anglo irish, and will stoop to any low to try and get it moving to recoup their losses.

Correction a lot of them were actually gertting hefty mortgages from one mr fingelton.
    Thus INBS ensured favourable press. :rolleyes:

I am not allowed discuss …

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

O'Connor LOL, Indo ROFL which is less credible about anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

If you compare prices with many similar sized French and German towns and cities, Ireland is still way out of whack.

I think the rental market is being deliberately distorted by keeping all the NAMA property mothballed. Rental prices are unrealistic at the moment considering how many apartments are being held off the market.

There is nothing fundamentally going to drive the prices up.
    Incomes are down, unemployment is very high, banks can't or won't lend, taxes are rising, the Euro is in crisis, our main export markets are in recession...

Unless you just really, really want to buy a house and you can comfortably afford the mortgage and don't care that it will probably lose value, I would think it's a lousy idea to buy.

The sad reality is that this economy could completely collapse over the next while. This isn't a recession, it's a monumental economic disaster caused by speculation, largely on property!

Quite honestly, I think Ireland is so economically unstable at the moment that I would be terrified to lock myself into a mortgage. I may need the flexibility of being able to emigrate quickly if things get really bad over the next while!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

I assume Nana is trying to let the market decline a bit more slowly than causing a sudden crash. Or its a delaying mechanism for the developers, bankers and cronies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭ILikeBananas

jmayo wrote: »
    Please please tell me you didn't buy the rag ?

Absolutely not but my parents have for my entire lifetime. I've tried to reason with them but it's force of habit at this stage although my mother refuses to read half the articles in it because there are so many contributers (I wouldn't qualify them as journalists) that she can't stand. So yeah when I'm around I torture myself by reading the damn thing. (the sport section isn't bad but it's annoying that the Fannings dominate that too)

Advertisement