Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newbie looking for advice

• 09-01-2012 12:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Hello and happy new year to all the regulars on this forum.
    I am new to boats, so i would appreciate opinions on whether this boat represents value for money and whether a boat such as this would be a good introduction to inland boating (Royal Canal) ?
    I am looking for a doer upper project at around the 2k mark and would welcome links (or PMs) relating to other boats for sale in that price range that you may be aware of.

thanks,

Unfit.

Sorry forgot the link: http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/boats/2818145

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,337 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

Hi unfit :)Welcome to the forum. What type of boat are you thinking about,

How many berths.

What engine size.

What part of the doing up are you able to do, rebuild engine ,fiberglass repair, woodwork.

Doing up boats is not always a cheep way of getting on the water :eek: but we will see what turns up.

Maybe you could be our new http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056217528 :D
    Just seen your link and it's a norman :D Hull looks ok and it floats thats a start.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭unfit2006

Hi Fergal,

Thanks for your reply.

I was thinking of a 2 berth in or around 20'capable of being pushed by an engine size of approx 9.9 to 15 hp outboard, as I would have access to outboards of that size.
    I would hope to address most fibreglass/electrical/mechanical/ issues etc. that may arise. I have been around the classic car restoration/camper van conversion scene for quite a while and many of the skills transfer across.
    I am looking for a fresh project and it is a toss up between a Type 2 VW camper or a small cruiser type boat .
    As a newbie to the boating scene (other than some passing acquaintance with the average 17/19' lake boats), my biggest fear would be of buying a complete lemon. No more than the "classic" car scene, I am sure that there are some boats that are better off left in the past rather than putting time and effort into restoration. Equally so, I am sure that there are others that will always deserve to be given that second chance if at all practicable.
    I am presuming that a Norman boat would have been a pretty average boat in it's day and were a fairly well respected name in boating circles. Would a 30 year old Norman Conquest be worth the time,effort to bring back to "former glory" or would there be better options available out there for a restoration project within the purchase price that I am prepared to pay.

I would welcome any opinions on the subject. Cheers.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,337 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

The Norman would be like the VW camper of it's day :D and they have there own appreciation society.http://www.normanboats.co.uk/ but as you can see from dnme's post and like a lot of classic cars once you start digging that little blister in the paint it can become a big hole so bear in mind the 2K out lay may just be the tip of the iceberg and sometimes it's worth spending the extra few €€'s in the first place. This is a nice little one that has been on sale for a while and looks in good condition http://motorboats.apolloduck.ie/display.phtml?aid=183577
    The 20'-25' is as big as you would want to go so you can launch and retrieve on your own with out the need for a crane or hoist plus it could save on year round mooring costs.
    Another option if your up for it is to build your own :D it's not as hard as it's looks and you end up with a new boat build by you in your own taste in about the same cost and time as restoring one. Have a look here at some of the small cruisers then go to the photo galleries and see what you think https://www.boatdesigns.com/Outboards/departments/10/

dsn-twod.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,993 ✭✭✭Tow

fergal.b wrote: »
    This is a nice little one that has been on sale for a while and looks in good condition http://motorboats.apolloduck.ie/display.phtml?aid=183577.

Fergal, thats a wooden boat and I know you love them, but its a totally different maintenance ball game for a beginner or any other boat owner!

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

Tow wrote: »
    Fergal, thats a wooden boat and I know you love them, but its a totally different maintenance ball game for a beginner or any other boat owner!

Yep it's wooden and where people for thousands of years have started out in boats :D I have owned both and find maintenance is maintenance and when done right any boat can last a lifetime. Any person new to boats can learn every part of repairing, rebuilding or building from scratch be it wood, fiberglass or metal. What I posted are just options I'm sure he can make up his own mind but you got to love wood and I push it when I can :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 005

any suggestions for a river boat in the region of 1500-2000euro?

005 wrote: »
    any suggestions for a river boat in the region of 1500-2000euro?
    http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/boats/2864170 :D

I have to say there is no such thing as a cheep boat, the less you pay the more you pay in money and time. The Shannon is full of dream boat projects that have been left neglected by there owners because they had now idea how much it takes to look after these boats. If anyone is serious about restoring you must have a love for the boat and the work involved also an understanding partner and deep pockets helps :D I love to see old boats been given new life but you can never point someone to a boat that is a great deal as you never know what you got till you start work on it, as you can see in dnme's sticky above they can brake your heart take your blood and rob you blind but if you get it done they can also bring great enjoyment and self satisfaction:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭Slig

Personally I'd push for Shetland boats, I'd count them as the VW camper of the boat world but I suppose any of the boats of the 70's could claim that title, Microplus, Norman, Freeman, Orkneys etc.

For me Shetlands are the best do-uppers. The hulls are far more solid and well made than most of the competition for a start, once you have that everything else can just be nailed on. The 570, for example, is a standard un-assuming 2 berth cruiser 19 ft long built in the 70's and 80's but the hull was designed originally as an off-shore race hull, The transon is rated for a 115HP outboard and the burnt out clutch on my old pajero can testify as to the weight of fibreglass that went into it. The downside is that its like driving a much larger boat.

but we all know the real fun isnt in actually cruising its in the winter maintenance and doing the odd jobs that always turn up.

Advertisement