Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is this a rip off?

• 09-01-2012 1:15am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭

Went to the cinema the other night. We usually get a large popcorn and ask for two containers so we can split it and mix crisps in with it. There was never a charge for the empty box but this time the cashier asked for 20c! I couldn't believe it! Really how much can those flimsly empty boxes cost?
    Obviously we didn't pay.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭ResearchWill

Well according to this site in the US a 32oz bucket works out at about 11c. A friend of mine used to manage a cinema the most expensive part of the drink sale was the cup, same for tea and coffee in a shop. Considering the main ingredient in popcorn is some corn kernels, I would not be surprised if the bucket was the most expensive part of the transaction.

http://www.foodservicefiresale.com/Theater_Popcorn_Buckets_s/3980.htm

BTW I still think is a bit much when someone has bought a bucket at the margin they have not to give a second empty bucket free.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

Went to the cinema the other night. We usually get a large popcorn and ask for two containers so we can split it and mix crisps in with it. There was never a charge for the empty box but this time the cashier asked for 20c! I couldn't believe it! Really how much can those flimsly empty boxes cost?
    Obviously we didn't pay.

I see your point but what do you expect them to do? Give you stuff for free? They are a business afterall

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭Giruilla

Its because they know you are a clever person and they want to dicourage people from doing what you did.

Cinema kiosks are a total rip-off. I'm guessing the price for you to have bought 2 small popcorns rather than one large (even though it holds more than the 2 smalls together) would have been a few euros more expensive than the large on its own.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭neckedit

Dosed with a cold before Christmas, work in Dundrum Town Centre, walked up to a coffee place there asking for a cup of hot water for my Lemsip. The very polite girl smiled and informed me she would only charge me for a small tea, I smiled politely back and paid the €1.10. Everything has a cost.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭hefferboi

i work in a pub and on friday night I must have given out at least 30 pints of mi wadi. It was mostly to young lads who were fairly locked and lads out on the dry.

On saturday I went to a nightclub and was charged 90 cent for a mi wadi. Now thats some rip off.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

hefferboi wrote: »
    On saturday I went to a nightclub and was charged 90 cent for a mi wadi. Now thats some rip off.

why is it a rip off?
    a small amount of the barman's wages, cost of the glass itself, water rates, etc. can all be attributed to it, without even adding in the cost of the MiWadi.
    are you suggesting you get it free? they're not a charity.

why is it a rip off?
    a small amount of the barman's wages, cost of the glass itself, water rates, etc. can all be attributed to it, without even adding in the cost of the MiWadi.
    are you suggesting you get it free? they're not a charity.

I am suggesting it should be free ya. After buying 3 pints with it I'd expect a free pint of whats basically just water.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

hefferboi wrote: »
    I am suggesting it should be free ya. After buying 3 pints with it I'd expect a free pint of whats basically just water.

Firstly, it's not just water, Secondly, water costs money, Thirdly, if you become sick from drinking the water then you could possibly sue

Firstly, it's not just water, Secondly, water costs money, Thirdly, if you become sick from drinking the water then you could possibly sue

I was sick the next morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68 ✭✭Raladic

Technically it is even okay for restaurants to charge for a glass of water, they still need to clean the glass and get the water in and serve it, but luckily most restaurants serve it as a courtesy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭m.j.w

I got charged for tap water in a cafe in dublin, got the bill and it had 2 * tap 1.60. Suppose they can charge if they want to

• Closed Accounts Posts: 815 ✭✭✭animaal

m.j.w wrote: »
    I got charged for tap water in a cafe in dublin, got the bill and it had 2 * tap 1.60. Suppose they can charge if they want to

Yep, they can. Could you name the cafe? That way, I can make sure never to go there...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭m.j.w

cafe manilla, its on the same street as tour america

• Registered Users Posts: 25 uSmellLikeSoup

Cinemas have to buy those boxes in, pay actual money per container. Do you really expect them to give them free when they themselves have to pay for them? I think 10 or 20c is fair considering you are saving rather than buying 2 small/med popcorns.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

What i dont get is how you just dont share the one container, is the other person diseased or something :P

Advertisement