Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

"If Frederick got two beatings per day..."

• 09-01-2012 1:16am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭

Maths as it should be done.. with a pinch of "social studies"...
    Third graders in in Gwinnett County, Ga., were given math homework Wednesday that asked questions about slavery and beatings.
    Christopher Braxton told ABC News affiliate WSB-TV in Atlanta that he couldn't believe the assignment his 8-year-old son brought home from of Beaver Ridge Elementary school in Norcross.
    "It kind of blew me away," Braxton said. "Do you see what I see? Do you really see what I see? He's not answering this question."
    The question read, "Each tree had 56 oranges. If eight slaves pick them equally, then how much would each slave pick?"
    Another math problem read, "If Frederick got two beatings per day, how many beatings did he get in one week?"
    Another question asked how many baskets of cotton Frederick filled.
    "I was furious at that point," Braxton said.
    "This outrages me because it just lets me know that there's still racists," said Stephanie Jones, whose child is a student at the school.
    "Something like that shouldn't be imbedded into a kid of the third, fourth, fifth, any grade," parent Terrance Barnett told WSB-TV. "I'm having to explain to my 8-year-old why slavery or slaves or beatings are in a math problem. That hurts."
    "In this one, the teachers were trying to do a cross-curricular activity," Gwinnett County school district spokeswoman Sloan Roach said.
    Roach said the teachers were attempting to incorporate social studies into math problems.
    "We understand that there are concerns about these questions, and we agree that these questions were not appropriate," she said.

http://news.yahoo.com/fred-got-two-beatings-per-day-homework-asks-230717586--abc-news.html

Sounds legit.. :pac:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Please tell me this is a spoof ?

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭lecker Hendl

7 and 14

Sorry, what's the problem here? I love maths!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭RichieC

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    Please tell me this is a spoof ?

I was hoping it was the Onion. it isnt. It's Georgia.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

I'm still stuck on the question with the oranges. I think the answer is 7.5 :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Beaver Ridge

Fnarr, fnarr.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Who the hell calls their slaves 'Frederick' ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Giselle

I'm still stuck on the question with the oranges. I think the answer is 7.5 :confused:

Honestly!

7x8=56

Does no one remember their tables anymore?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

If N*gger Jim picks two bales of cotton an hour 12 hours a day for 6 days a week with only Good Friday and Xmas day off how many Dollar$ does a wealthy white slave owner make in a year from Jim if a bale of cotton fetches $3?

Noones doing your homework for you Chuck!! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

Lapin wrote: »

I just give mine numbers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

I presume this guy's teacher has moved to a different school:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

Giselle wrote: »
    Honestly!

7x8=56

Does no one remember their tables anymore?

I was joking. Thanks anyway. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

RichieC wrote: »
    Maths as it should be done.. with a pinch of "social studies"...
    Third graders in in Gwinnett County, Ga., were given math homework Wednesday that asked questions about slavery and beatings.
    Christopher Braxton told ABC News affiliate WSB-TV in Atlanta that he couldn't believe the assignment his 8-year-old son brought home from of Beaver Ridge Elementary school in Norcross.
    "It kind of blew me away," Braxton said. "Do you see what I see? Do you really see what I see? He's not answering this question."
    The question read, "Each tree had 56 oranges. If eight slaves pick them equally, then how much would each slave pick?"
    Another math problem read, "If Frederick got two beatings per day, how many beatings did he get in one week?"
    Another question asked how many baskets of cotton Frederick filled.
    "I was furious at that point," Braxton said.
    "This outrages me because it just lets me know that there's still racists," said Stephanie Jones, whose child is a student at the school.
    "Something like that shouldn't be imbedded into a kid of the third, fourth, fifth, any grade," parent Terrance Barnett told WSB-TV. "I'm having to explain to my 8-year-old why slavery or slaves or beatings are in a math problem. That hurts."
    "In this one, the teachers were trying to do a cross-curricular activity," Gwinnett County school district spokeswoman Sloan Roach said.
    Roach said the teachers were attempting to incorporate social studies into math problems.
    "We understand that there are concerns about these questions, and we agree that these questions were not appropriate," she said.

http://news.yahoo.com/fred-got-two-beatings-per-day-homework-asks-230717586--abc-news.html

Sounds legit.. :pac:
    Lol - can't be real!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

If N*gger Jim picks two bales of cotton an hour 12 hours a day for 6 days a week with only Good Friday and Xmas day off how many Dollar$ does a wealthy white slave owner make in a year from Jim if a bale of cotton fetches $3?

$22000. The greedy ****.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

Guess they won't be reading "Roll of Thunder" for English so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

Total revenue or net profit? I presume Jim would need basic food and board.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

If Fredericks getting two beatings per day, then he probably deserved it, now shut up and do your homework.

What, that's not an acceptable answer? But that's what my parents told me :(

MagicSean wrote: »
    Total revenue or net profit? I presume Jim would need basic food and board.

Good point.

You know when they were outlawing slavery the slave owners argued that you look after something you own more than something you rent (people's labour)?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

Good point.

You know when they were outlawing slavery the slave owners argued that you look after something you own more than something you rent (people's labour)?
    Exactly why they chained them in pens and feed them almost once a day ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭cristoir

Lapin wrote: »

Funnily enough perhaps the most famous slave of all was called Frederick.

Frederick Douglass was a self-educated slave who escaped to the north and became a leader of the abolitionist movement. His great intellect and oratory skills acted as a physical rebuttal to pro-slavery claims that slaves where too cognitively void to be freed.

This entire incident doesn't surprise me. Georgia can still quite a racist place. This kind of stuff goes on as well:
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/northamerica/usa/5586617/Segregated-high-school-proms-divide-Georgias-students.html

And a handful of the white only private schools created as reaction to integration still exist.

• Advertisement

cristoir wrote: »
    Funnily enough perhaps the most famous slave of all was called Frederick.

completely by coinkydink too I'd say... :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭cristoir

RichieC wrote: »
    completely by coinkydink too I'd say... :pac:

Aye. Racists and Neo-Confederates still hate Douglass as he was living proof their bigoted theory's where wrong. I'd imagine they would love the idea of reading about him back on a field picking cotton and feeling the whip of his master.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

It's true

When they were draining land and building canals around New Orleans they didn't want to use slaves as they would just die of malaria and that's your property lost

But if your Irish day labourer died, hey just hire another one. You haven't lost anything

See, slave owners did care

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

cristoir wrote: »
    Aye. Racists and Neo-Confederates still hate Douglass as he was living proof their bigoted theory's where wrong. I'd imagine they would love the idea of reading about him back on a field picking cotton and feeling the whip of his master.
    Ah yeah but its just a theory :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭policarp

Kunta Cinte only lost half a foot.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

charlemont wrote: »
    $22000. The greedy ****.

I make it $22320.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭Feeona

I see potential in this. If American schools are anything like Irish schools, that means they have an over crowded curriculum. Integration (the curriculum buzzword of the noughties) would be a cinch with this teacher's approach!:pac:

mikemac1 wrote: »
    See, slave owners did care

It's a twisted, seemingly repulsive, logic but it actually has some sort of rationale. In fact wage labour was seen as almost as bad as slave labour by many workers in the US after slavery was abolished.

The was a strong worker owned means of production sentiment in those days.

Great Uncle Noam explains.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Say what you want, those slave-owners could do arithmetic.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 550 ✭✭✭earpiece

What are the wealthy white slave owner's over heads.... like what did he pay for the slave, how much did the shack cost and what does the meal cost each day?
    Also, anyone know are slaves tax deductable?

Advertisement