Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Games and the vat increase

Options
  • 09-01-2012 2:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭

Anyone know which stores are adding the vat onto game/console prices as none of the stores have changed there labeled prices and it's annoying to realize your 50p short when you go to get a game lol >.<

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

label price is what you pay, no?

alternatively, bring an extra euro with you?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭ussjtrunks

Got caught in hmv today lol, the label price isn't the price you pay in hmv they add the extra vat at the till and I was wondering what other stores do that so I can preorder a vita

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

ussjtrunks wrote: »
    Got caught in hmv today lol, the label price isn't the price you pay in hmv they add the extra vat at the till and I was wondering what other stores do that so I can preorder a vita

:confused:

This isn't the US. Sounds like you got hornswaggled. Isn't it law that whatever price is displayed on the item is what you're required to pay for it? They can't change their mind at the til.

yeah afaik the sticker price is the one you pay in ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 5,462 ✭✭✭Nollog

The two above are right.
    The displayed price is what the retailer has to charge you, or no sale.

It's their problem if they mis-labelled an item.
    Usually companies themselves fine their stores for mis-labels.
    I know Dunnes used to charge 5,000 euro per mis-label.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

/\/ollog wrote: »
    The two above are right.

No they dont. That "law" has been falsely flying around for years now.
    A lot of stores will offer you the mislabled price as a goodwill gesture but by no means do they have to.
    In the case of the VAT increase, theres so many items changing prices it wouldnt be worth it to re-label every one of them so they correct it upon scanning. Its then up to you if you want to pay that price or not.

the vast majority of retailers in the country have scanning code of practice stickers on their doors. any company who has that has agreed that they will charge what the displayed price is. if the place this guy bought the game where he was charged more had that on the door, as you would assume hmv do, then he needs to report it to the relevant body

• Registered Users Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

sugarman wrote: »
    All shops currently have untill a certain date to update their pricing, they do however have to show signs around the shops advertising that VAT will be added at the till. I've noticed this in my local HMV & a few other places.

Oh God, this is such horseshít. One of my biggest pet peeves about holidaying in America is that buying something is always higher than what the product is marked on. Aggravates me no end. Such false advertising. Maybe that's just from living in Ireland. Fine, prices raise 50c - but don't spring it up on me after waiting in the queue and 'promising' the game at a certain price. Ugh.

If there is any silver lining to be had, it's getting rid of the annoying price rhetoric (eg €20.49 -- ie 20 quid and change, not €19.99; just your 20 quid)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

The legal contract is made at the till not beforehand. Whatever price is offered at the till by the shop is the one the customer has the option of agreeing to, no other price.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

In all fairness, the HMV I was at in Cork has CD boxes with pre-printed notices at pretty much every stand saying that the price was incorrect and that 1.65% would be added to the price. There were a couple of A3 posters too explaining it. It's unrealistic to expect staff to change all the prices after 6pm on New Years Eve or to come in on New Years Day to do it. It's also a massive waste of paper and ink to change the tens of thousands of items HMV probably have. The posters even have the most common prices on them, and their increased amount (ie. 4.99 is 5.14 or whatever)

If your HMV didn't do this, fair enough, but from what I have seen, they have gone above and beyond.

• Advertisement

jaykhunter wrote: »
    Oh God, this is such horseshít. One of my biggest pet peeves about holidaying in America is that buying something is always higher than what the product is marked on. Aggravates me no end. Such false advertising. Maybe that's just from living in Ireland. Fine, prices raise 50c - but don't spring it up on me after waiting in the queue and 'promising' the game at a certain price. Ugh.

the reason for the prices being like that in america is that taxes are different in every state. the product gets a price put on it, say $20, and the tax is added on based on the state where it's bought. otherwise companies would need to make each advert multiple times, for each states, and advertising on national tv would be impossible

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

From the National Consumer Agency:
    Shops must display the full and final price of goods for sale in euro, including Value Added Tax (VAT), and any other taxes or charges. If the price in a shop doesn’t include the correct rate of VAT, then the shop is misleading consumers and breaking the law. The VAT increase came into effect on 1st January, giving shops a reasonable time to adjust their prices on shelves and at tills, or absorb the VAT increase.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Helix wrote: »
    the reason for the prices being like that in america is that taxes are different in every state. the product gets a price put on it, say $20, and the tax is added on based on the state where it's bought. otherwise companies would need to make each advert multiple times, for each states, and advertising on national tv would be impossible

Yeah, states are like their own countries. Annoys me no end seeing a price and being asked to pay a higher price at the til. It's also when they ask me for my zip code, i say Ireland :pac: I do find that intrusive as well.

Woe is HMV having to re-sticker items - it's a shame they couldn't just sell off their current stock at the labelled price, and new stock gets the new correct price.

Is this just Ireland or does it affect europe/online?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

jaykhunter wrote: »
    Yeah, states are like their own countries. Annoys me no end seeing a price and being asked to pay a higher price at the til. It's also when they ask me for my zip code, i say Ireland :pac: I do find that intrusive as well.

Woe is HMV having to re-sticker items - it's a shame they couldn't just sell off their current stock at the labelled price, and new stock gets the new correct price.

Is this just Ireland or does it affect europe/online?

The way things are for them right now, it would take them 10 years!!!!!

As for online, i'm not 100% on this but I think we are required to pay the V.A.T rate of the shipping destination so sites like amazon will be charging us more. Must check that actually.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

I bought Batman arkham city from hmv yesterday, label price was 47.99, I was charged..... 4 cent tax I think. Hardly something to worry about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭longhalloween

The two above are right.
    Helix wrote: »
    yeah afaik the sticker price is the one you pay in ireland
    chin_grin wrote: »
    :confused:

This isn't the US. Sounds like you got hornswaggled. Isn't it law that whatever price is displayed on the item is what you're required to pay for it? They can't change their mind at the til.

All these statements are wrong.
    They can charge you whatever they like regardless of what it says on the box.

HMV also have signs around telling you that extra VAT is applied at the till, besides its well known there is a VAT increase, so you should expect to pay a little extra just in case.

Some companies run a system where the shop is fined if they consistently misprice goods but its not a legal thing at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

The two above are right.

Alas, this is not the case. If it were I would carry a ream of 99c stickers and pay a visit to every computer shop, travel agent and car dealership this side of the Liffey.

Advertisement