Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Good buy?

• 09-01-2012 2:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 23

Haven't a clue about cars but just viewed a fab 05 Audi a4 but it's a 1.6 petrol, anyone hav one? Are they any good or would I be better getting a diesel one?? Was thinking petrol and diesel prices are nearly the same and 1.6 wud b cheaper to tax but would it hav any power?! Any advice would b great!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

As far as i'm aware the general sentiment around here would be that a 1.6 A4 would be underpowered and unsellable as a result of it neither being luxurious, powerful nor particularly economical.

Haven't actually driven one though so can't comment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

Deedee12 wrote: »
    Haven't a clue about cars but just viewed a fab 05 Audi a4 but it's a 1.6 petrol, anyone hav one? Are they any good or would I be better getting a diesel one?? Was thinking petrol and diesel prices are nearly the same and 1.6 wud b cheaper to tax but would it hav any power?! Any advice would b great!!

Going diesel would depend on your mileage, which if it isn't very high(i.e more than 20k miles) go petrol although the 1.6 certainly won't be fast in anyway so if more power is a priority than maybe look at the 1.8T engine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,544 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

166man wrote: »

Going diesel would depend on your mileage, which if it isn't very high(i.e more than 20k miles) go petrol although the 1.6 certainly won't be fast in anyway so if more power is a priority than maybe look at the 1.8T engine.
    Its terrible power wise. Pick any other engine in the range would be my advice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,280 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Had nightmares with one of these... avoid like the plague.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Deedee12

Thanks for advice, it was sold anyways but he now has an sline audi 1.8 petrol for sale says its mint and has 3mth warrenty! some of my friends are saying to avoid petrol in audis at all costs!! so confused!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 433 ✭✭puppetmaster

mickdw wrote: »
    Its terrible power wise. Pick any other engine in the range would be my advice.

+1. Under powered and uneconomical on juice as a result.

Right thats it im totally gone off petrol ones! Thanks for opinions! So any opinions on diesel audi a4's aged 04/05 ? good buy or diaster?!!

166man wrote: »
    Right thats it im totally gone off petrol ones! Thanks for opinions! So any opinions on diesel audi a4's aged 04/05 ? good buy or diaster?!!

AlfaMan made a very good point, if you're not doing the miles to justify a diesel a 1.8T would be an option, they aren't too bad on petrol at all to be fair to them unless you thrash them.

2005/2006 A4 2.0TDi cars would be best avoided, the 1.9s aren't bad.
    Diesel A4s are horribly overpriced though.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭stevekavo

I had a 1.6 and now have a 2.0 petrol. The 1.6 is no use for a car of its size, you are left waiting on the power. Definitely go for a 1.8 petrol if your not doing the miles to warrant a diesel. The 1.8 sline are nice if they have the full kit and not just the sline badge.

http://www.adverts.ie/car/audi/a4/2004-audi-a4-for-sale/1192851

Sorry now harping on... how bout this one? Too good to be true? my friend says they have a soft engine and finiky suspension expensive to fix but im a magpie its all about looks!

• Advertisement

Nothing wrong with the engine if they get oil changes with decent oil regularly, if the oil pick up is blocked most engine will take offence :pac:

I'm a tight bastad but that doesn't appear to be priced too cheaply, priced to sell :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,338 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

A4s are very overpriced. How about a Honda Accord? This one is asking €1k more than the 04 A4 but is 2 years younger. The 2.0 litre engine is very reliable too.

http://www.driving.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=201149205991859

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

As far as i'm aware the general sentiment around here would be that a 1.6 A4 would be underpowered and unsellable as a result of it neither being luxurious, powerful nor particularly economical.

Haven't actually driven one though so can't comment.
    Having owned a 1.6 Passat and currently driving a 1.8T A4, those would be my sentiments. Struggletown.

mmm accord is nice!!!! 2.0 petrol tho would it cost a bomb to tax and run! savage looking tho
    ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

mmm accord is nice!!!! 2.0 petrol tho would it cost a bomb to tax and run! savage looking tho
    ;)

A bomb to run?It would be about €100 more in road tax which is less than a tenner a month and at most a couple of mpg would be lost. Hardly wallet breaking figures!

I'd definitely have the Honda over an overpriced Audi.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

Tbh, I'd wager that the 2 litre accord would be as economical. I had that 1.6 in a lighter car and found the gearing made it incredibly uneconomical. My father was getting better from a 2 litre Mondeo.

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭jtown

bazz26 wrote: »
    A4s are very overpriced. How about a Honda Accord? This one is asking €1k more than the 04 A4 but is 2 years younger. The 2.0 litre engine is very reliable too.

http://www.driving.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=201149205991859

Was told the Accord gives lots of trouble when it goes over 100k miles by my local dealer.. Any suggestions?? Was thinking of the 2.2 version

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,857 ✭✭✭langdang

jtown wrote: »
    Was told the Accord gives lots of trouble when it goes over 100k miles by my local dealer.. Any suggestions?? Was thinking of the 2.2 version
    Let me guess, it wasn't a Honda dealer and he didn't have any traded in Accords when he was telling you this! I'd be so dubious about anything else that guy says after hearing that :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,702 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

He's talking out of his hole........

I reckon a 2.0i Accord would be more fuel effecient than a 1.6 A4 as the engine doesn't have to work as hard to get the car moving. I was bordering 40mpg in mine, but that was all motorway and nothing around town.

On the same journey my old 1.8T Octavia (same engine as the Audi, but a bit more powerful in a slightly lighter car) was around 36mpg.

langdang wrote: »
    Let me guess, it wasn't a Honda dealer and he didn't have any traded in Accords when he was telling you this! I'd be so dubious about anything else that guy says after hearing that :D

He is trying to sell me a 1.6 Focus diesel :D

Said to stay away from them (Honda). Funny really.

• Advertisement

Would you all agree the 2.2 Honda Accord is a car to go for??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,857 ✭✭✭langdang

Would you all agree the 2.2 Honda Accord is a car to go for??
    You're after throwing out a very broad bunch of considerations there!
    1.6 petrol Audi
    2.0 petrol Accord
    1.6 Diesel focus
    2.2 diesel Accord (I presume you mean the diesel and not some 2.2 type R!)

I like the accords myself, but based on the above list of considerations, the average Irish punter would be happy out with the focus. (look up the common things that give trouble with this peugeot engine tho)

langdang wrote: »
    You're after throwing out a very broad bunch of considerations there!
    1.6 petrol Audi
    2.0 petrol Accord
    1.6 Diesel focus
    2.2 diesel Accord (I presume you mean the diesel and not some 2.2 type R!)

I like the accords myself, but based on the above list of considerations, the average Irish punter would be happy out with the focus. (look up the common things that give trouble with this peugeot engine tho)

Yes ment the 2.2 Diesel Accord.

;)

I really cannot see a 2.0 litre Accord being any more expensive to run than a 1.8T A4 and tax is less than €100 in the difference between the two over one year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,395 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Hondas tend to be very reliable, most certainly a 2L petrol engined Honda should give far far less problems then any sort of modern diesel engine!

Deedee/jtown, your yearly mileage will have a big influence on weather to get a petrol or diesel, above 20kmiles a year a Diesel will save you's about 1000quid a year in fuel, but less then this Diesels don't make as much sense, Repair costs are higher, 2nd hand they cost more then the equivalent petrol, and tend to have much higher mileage.

Interesting!!! mmm such a hard decision to make! :( want what i cant afford! ya maybe honda would be better than audi prob cheaper in parts anyways! ive had such a bad run of luck with cars im half afraid of what will happen next!!! :)

I'd look at the Mazda 6 too, petrol models are very reliable and they are excellent to drive:

http://www.driving.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=713263629306040

bazz26 wrote: »
    I'd look at the Mazda 6 too, petrol models are very reliable and they are excellent to drive:

http://www.driving.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=713263629306040

Ya the Mazda is nice too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Tea 1000

He's a numpty, plain and simple. The Accord doesn't give trouble. The 2 litre petrol Accord is fairly unbustable. DeeDee - if you've been having a bad run of reliability luck, then just get the Accord and forget about fixing things for a few years. The A4 really is a cramped, underwhelming car. The DTM limited edition is the only A4 I'd bother with.

• Advertisement

Tea 1000 wrote: »
    He's a numpty, plain and simple. The Accord doesn't give trouble. The 2 litre petrol Accord is fairly unbustable. DeeDee - if you've been having a bad run of reliability luck, then just get the Accord and forget about fixing things for a few years. The A4 really is a cramped, underwhelming car. The DTM limited edition is the only A4 I'd bother with.

Ya I was thinking that.. from reading online the Accord never gives trouble. He is trying to sell me a different car..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭Littlehorny

Ya I was thinking that.. from reading online the

Accord never gives trouble. He is trying to sell me a different car..
    T

Theres an american fella on youtube with an Accord he services himself, same engine and gearbox all its life, its just passed the one million mile mark!:D

T

Theres an american fella on youtube with an Accord he services himself, same engine and gearbox all its life, its just passed the one million mile mark!:D

Link?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭Littlehorny

Link?

On youtube type in "Joe will reach one million miles in his Honda Accord":)

Advertisement