Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Right i'm staying put.

• 09-01-2012 6:53am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know how long expressions of interest are taking to be drawn from the pool at the moment? My current 3 year visa is nearly up. I've done some long thinking and decided to stay on down here for another few years so need to get the residancy skates on. Submitted it today and going to sort medical soon. Here nearly four years now. Ireland just still seems so ****ed and the other few countries i'd consider not in much better shape for jobs etc. NZ is nice and comfy right now. Just miss home i guess!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,518 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

ours got delivered on 5th April, got drawn from the pool 6th April :D

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭kiwipower

Good on ya Pclancy!
    Best of luck!
    Wish I was living there now!
    On countdown to the trip home in the mean time!
    Got the family behind a Waitangi weekend family holiday on the Kapiti Coast. 11 Adults, 4 children and a dog! Should be mad, even if they are all to broke to afford it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭pclancy

Cheers...its been a tough decision, feel like I should be going home as i hate missing mates weddings and new babies but am pretty sure NZ is going to be a better place to live for the near future, the lifestyle here is just so laid back.

Wow selected already. Now need to fill in some more forms, do a medical/chest Xray, hand over some more cash and i'm a resident!

I wonder does anyone know are oversears residents considered Kiwis from the point of view of visiting or working in Oz?

pclancy wrote: »
    Wow selected already. Now need to fill in some more forms, do a medical/chest Xray, hand over some more cash and i'm a resident!

I wonder does anyone know are oversears residents considered Kiwis from the point of view of visiting or working in Oz?

Congrats on being selected!

You know what Prime Minister Piggy Muldoon said about Kiwis imigrating to Australia in the 80's?

... They raise the average IQ of both countrys! :p

I know you use to be able to travel into Oz as a naturalised New Zealand citizen on a Kiwi passport, not sure if it is still the same.

My dad is an Irish Citizen with Permanent Residence in NZ for nearly 40years, and only has an Irish passport, he has to get a visa each time he wants to visit Australia, even for a two weeks holiday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,011 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

I think that you have to have held NZ citizenship for 5 years (Hmm, or maybe it's permanent residency for 5 years), before you can travel to Oz like a from-birth Kiwi. Or maybe it's before you can move there for good.

Pretty sure there's a 5 years in the right answer. Unsure re rest of the details.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Rosy Posy

I'm afraid not- you'll still have to apply/pay for a visa like any Irish person. Once you've had residency for 5 years you are eligible to apply for citizenship (a kiwi passport). Jump through a few hoops and you're a fully fledged kiwi with all the benefits this entails re visiting/working in oz...and you can keep your Irish passport too.

Rosy Posy wrote: »
    Jump through a few hoops ....

Be aware that these hoops include

" take the Oath or Affirmation of Allegiance, declaring that you will honour Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth the Second, Queen of New Zealand; obey the laws of New Zealand and be a good citizen" (ref Internal Affairs: http://www.dia.govt.nz/diawebsite.nsf/wpg_URL/Services-Citizenship-Citizenship-Ceremonies?OpenDocument)

Some Irish people have difficulty with the bold bit. Others don't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Rosy Posy

JustMary wrote: »

" take the Oath or Affirmation of Allegiance, declaring that you will honour Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth the Second, Queen of New Zealand; obey the laws of New Zealand and be a good citizen" (ref Internal Affairs: http://www.dia.govt.nz/diawebsite.nsf/wpg_URL/Services-Citizenship-Citizenship-Ceremonies?OpenDocument)

this is why my husband will not be applying for citizenship, but in fairness, he is on the skills shortages list and I am not so it kinda sways me

I imagine that'll be changed once she pops her clogs, the Aussies are removing references tot he crown once Lizzy is gone, I'd imagine it'll be the same here.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭30Min

Blanket Man is dead :(.

30Min wrote: »
    Blanket Man is dead :(.

Ah poor auld Blanky. Amazing he lasted as long as he did considering his lifestyle and malnutrition. Messed up guy, sometimes he could be pretty abusive so i always wondered why he had such iconic status.

I imagine that'll be changed once she pops her clogs, the Aussies are removing references tot he crown once Lizzy is gone, I'd imagine it'll be the same here.

Wrong. In fact that comment gives you pretty much a monumental fail on the "understanding of New Zealand" test. Sorry 'bout that.

Maori signed a treaty with the Brittish crown in 1840. For the majority of Maori, that established a relationship with the crown that can never be undone. So no matter what some Pakeha (myself included) may want, republicanism will never take off in the same way as Oz, where there was no treaty.

Wrong. In fact that comment gives you pretty much a monumental fail on the "understanding of New Zealand" test. Sorry 'bout that.

just what I thought may happen. How does it fail me the NZ test, it's not something I care that much about (I don't have Queen issues) so have not gone out of my way to check, seemed like a logical assumption seeing as other Commonwealth nations are considering / doing it.
    Maori signed a treaty with the Brittish crown in 1840. For the majority of Maori, that established a relationship with the crown that can never be undone. So no matter what some Pakeha (myself included) may want, republicanism will never take off in the same way as Oz, where there was no treaty.
    Last I checked NZ was still a democracy so if the want was really there it could be pushed through, not enough Maori to hold it up if it came to it. But the constant needs to pander to their minority means it probably won't come up I suppose.
    Ireland signed plenty of treaties with the crown, things have changed since then though...

I think most people here just don't give a crap, Maori or Pakeha. There are a lot more important issues to sort out down here. Child poverty and education along with the growing gap in incomes would come way higher on the list then removing a figurehead queen who lives the other side of the world.

Most Maori that I know simply recognise their own Iwi leader as their actual family leader or some align to the Maori King, the crown to date has been pretty reasonable with land claims and resource repatriation so there doesnt seem a huge nationalistic sentiment amoungst most that i've met.

Hone Harawira would be a differnet story :) A political leader that asked "Would you be comfortable with your Maori daughter coming home with a Pakeha boy?" Not someone that holds the majorty support but I guess he shows there are some out there that support his views as he keeps getting a trickle of votes.

The forces behind people's thinking on the republic issue are far deeper than newcomers to the country will understand - in much the same was as I'll never understand the significance of some of the north / south relationship issues in Ireland. Most Maori would recognise their iwi leadership internally - but the relationship of those iwi to the modern nation-state of NZ is based on the treaty with the Brittish crown, not the NZ government. Many non-Maori would agree too, do it's not simply a majority-vote based on ethnicity.

I'm not one of Lizzie's fans (though as a public servant I willingly signed oaths of allegiance to her). But seeing a presidential election over here, which had to be conducted on the basis of dirty personality-politics because presidents don't "do" issues, has given me a new appreciation of her detatched usefulness.

3 people in work have just confirmed it was an issue raised in the recent election by the way :p

Funny,
    As a NZer I had never thought of the issue the way JustMary put it.
    I do think Mary has a very strong and reasonable point there.
    Personally I do hope NZ ends up being a Republic. While the treaty is with the british monarch, It has never involved the monarch, and always been acted on by the government. As a Pakeha I still think the treaty is one of the most important defining documents for our country and national identity and should be strongly defended and instigated no matter what direction the country takes.

I think that while WW1&2 soldiers are still around that NZ will keep crown ties, also access to Britian for young Kiwis on their OE will also be an issue. (A bit like the Irish/US undocumented/illegal immigrants is a political issue in Ireland.)

Also as a tiny Pacific Country with a small population at the end of the world, having links to some other supporting nation or group of nations would be strategically important. In someways I would think we are better aligned with a socially supportive country grouping like the EU than a country like America who do not support there own under privilaged and would not care for NZs interests. (I am thinking here of social wellfare, LGBT rights etc.) while a large amount of NZers are now of asian descent I think this would also bring many issues of concern.

Got letter of invitation to apply last week so all i need to do now is medical, xray, police cert and tons of paperwork. Then hand over approx $2000 which is going to make me poor for a while. Might leave it till later in the year so that I can afford to enjoy summer :) The process up to now was pretty easy I have to say. Ended up with 185 points.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 canadian exile

Sorry for dragging up an old thread but i didn't want to start a new one .
    I am after applying for my skilled migrants visa and have sent away all my medical stuff and proof of qualification and experience. My lawyer contacted me via email yesterday to tell me i have been assigned a case officer.
    Just wondering how long it takes to process on average from this point as from what i have heard one of the longest waits is for a case officer?
    The only reason i ask is that i have a return flight to Ireland that can be pushed out to Christmas if i hear word in the next month or so.

• Advertisement

your laywer?

it's one of those how long is a piece of string questions I reckon. Took us no time at all to get it via UK when back in Ireland, 6/7 weeks start to finish.

I am after applying for my skilled migrants visa and have sent away all my medical stuff and proof of qualification and experience. My lawyer contacted me via email yesterday to tell me i have been assigned a case officer.
    Just wondering how long it takes to process on average from this point as from what i have heard one of the longest waits is for a case officer?
    The only reason i ask is that i have a return flight to Ireland that can be pushed out to Christmas if i hear word in the next month or so.

Take it you are applying for skilled migrant residancy? If so I'm the same. Took about a month for a case officer to be assigned to me then he came back pretty quick asking for some more info which I provided. Havnt heard anything in a few weeks now so I asked for an update and he said he would be reviewing my case this week. Wouldnt give any more prediction about time.

According to the website it could take 9-12 months but I'm hopeing thats worst case scenario, others I've spoken to have had their PR processed in much less time like 3-4 monthes.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 canadian exile

Take it you are applying for skilled migrant residancy? If so I'm the same. Took about a month for a case officer to be assigned to me then he came back pretty quick asking for some more info which I provided. Havnt heard anything in a few weeks now so I asked for an update and he said he would be reviewing my case this week. Wouldnt give any more prediction about time.

According to the website it could take 9-12 months but I'm hopeing thats worst case scenario, others I've spoken to have had their PR processed in much less time like 3-4 monthes.
    Cheers for that but I just got a call off of my lawyer a few hours ago RESIDENCY APPROVED so I'm now settled in for the night with a nice bottle of vino to celebrate

Finally got approval letter today. So from expression of interest in Jan, selection from the pool then invitation to apply with medical and job history stuff in April all the way to approval in September its been a long wait.

It certainly seems quicker to go through the process from outside NZ. Weird considering I've been here working and paying tax for four years, you'd think they'd give preference to people already in the country. I guess the local offices are very busy and probably under resourced like most of the public sector right now.

Anyway happy days! Kia ora.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭MrCreosote

Congrats! It's great to get that letter.

The first residence visa expires after 2 years- nearly caught us out on a trip back to Ireland. Generally a very quick formality getting the indefinite visa after the 2 years though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30 keaneray

'Finally got approval letter today. So from expression of interest in Jan, selection from the pool then invitation to apply with medical and job history stuff in April all the way to approval in September its been a long wait.'

That's interesting as I submitted my EOI in August of this year and 4 weeks later I got the all clear to send all my documents for residency. My partner is also on the application. It could be down to your points. I had 155 and could have claimed more, but would have to provide further documentation.

You would think being in NZ the application process would be quicker. I should have all the necessary documents ready to send in soon. A friend of mine last week got his residency and it only took a month. I'm hoping I'll have mine granted by this Christmas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 793 ✭✭✭supermouse

Im in two minds about applying for my residency too! Im on a 3 year visa but have 9 months left on it - will have been in NZ 3 years already come next month.

Im a bit nervous about going for it to be honest, i think i only have about 125 points ( no degree) and it took a lawyer for me to get my 3 year visa this time.

Did you find the process easy enough to do on your own PClancy?

Finally got approval letter today. So from expression of interest in Jan, selection from the pool then invitation to apply with medical and job history stuff in April all the way to approval in September its been a long wait.

It certainly seems quicker to go through the process from outside NZ. Weird considering I've been here working and paying tax for four years, you'd think they'd give preference to people already in the country. I guess the local offices are very busy and probably under resourced like most of the public sector right now.

Way to go PC! Enjoy the celebratory drinks! Will raise one for you over here! Recon our 2degree's of separation person will be happy to celebrate the news with you! :D

Advertisement