Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix Broadband Megathread - post here only. Rules in Post #2

• 09-01-2012 10:30am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭

In America Netflix has killed bittorrent, proof that if given an affordable option people will do the right thing, but that's for another thread. At these prices it's time to say bye bye to Xtravision.
    In October, Netflix revealed it plans to launch in Ireland and the UK early in 2012.

According to the company content will be accessible at a monthly price of stg£5.99 in the UK and €6.99 in Ireland.

http://www.siliconrepublic.com/new-media/item/25243-netflix-to-launch-in-uk-and/

Read the rules in post #2 before posting.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

OK, there seems to be some interest in keeping this open, so I'm going to do that, but with some rules. NetFlix is already being discussed in many other forums right now, here is just an example of those I found.

If you want to discuss something that's an ongoing topic in another forum, then post it there. If you post it here you are only duplicating the discussion and making work for everyone. Your post will be removed and you will be banned for ignoring the rules.

If you want to post about illegal downloading of movies for free, your post will be removed and you will be permanently banned from this forum. There is zero tolerance on this point, so don't do it.

If there are any rights restrictions (restricting by country, etc) then there is to be no discussion on how to circumvent this.

If you disagree with the thread rules then PM a mod and explain why. Discussion or question of the rules on thread will be treated the same as any other on thread argument of a moderation instruction.

This thread will be for discussion of NetFlix in terms of broadband. Cap implications, speed, latency, streaming, configuration of modem/router, peering, etc can be posted here. How do I work this with my iPad/PS3/Xbox, etc, does not belong here, so go to the appropriate forum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,313 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

jor el wrote: »
    This thread will be for discussion of NetFlix in terms of broadband. Cap implications, speed, latency, streaming, configuration of modem/router, peering, etc can be posted here. How do I work this with my iPad/PS3/Xbox, etc, does not belong here, so go to the appropriate forum.

Probably best off start a new Thread,

I suppose the Big question is can the networks here handle the amount of data required if this service takes off in a large scale. If my whole estate starts streaming HD movies every evening it has to put a serious draw on the local broadband (dsl) infrastructure.
    I cancelled my skymovies today as I got one of the google revues, and with the netflix app that should do me for when I want to watch a movie.

It has the potential to cripple midband and dsl, would I be correct in thinking that. Especially in areas like mine not served by UPC or other fiber providers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 372 ✭✭Belfunk

jor el wrote: »
    If there are any rights restrictions (restricting by country, etc) then there is to be no discussion on how to circumvent this.

How about if i am in Ireland? I am on UPC and i keep getting "Sorry, Netflix hasn't arrived in this part of the world yet" i've no VPN set-up. When i look up my ip address i get:

ISP: UPC Ireland
    Organization: UPC Ireland
    Connection: Broadband
    Services: None Detected
    City: Dublin
    Region: Dublin

So by the looks of things UPC aren't routing me somewhere else other than Ireland. Should i ring UPC but looking above there's nothing they can do?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,480 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Belfunk wrote: »
    How about if i am in Ireland? I am on UPC and i keep getting "Sorry, Netflix hasn't arrived in this part of the world yet" i've no VPN set-up.

How are you trying to access Netflix? If you go to http://www.netflix.ie you'll be offered the service but to watch the programs and movies on your TV you need some supported h/w. Go to the website above and click on 'How it works' on the grey bar at the top of the screen.

coylemj wrote: »
    How are you trying to access Netflix? If you go to http://www.netflix.ie you'll be offered the service but to watch the programs and movies on your TV you need some supported h/w. Go to the website above and click on 'How it works' on the grey bar at the top of the screen.

I've the correct hardware alright...Apple TV, Smart TV, desktop connected to the TV...If i go to www.netflix.ie on my desktop or laptop i am redirected to http://movies.netflix.com/Error?type=nonSupportedCountry

• Advertisement

I've the correct hardware alright...Apple TV, Smart TV, desktop connected to the TV...If i go to www.netflix.ie on my desktop or laptop i am redirected to http://movies.netflix.com/Error?type=nonSupportedCountry

I'm on UPC BB, it redirects me to https://signup.netflix.com/?locale=en-IE

You may need to clear out your cookies or try a different browser.

There is a dedicated thread for Netflix and Apple TV on the Apple forum... http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056058246

I'm on UPC BB, it redirects me to https://signup.netflix.com/?locale=en-IE

You may need to clear out your cookies or try a different browser.

There is a dedicated thread for Netflix and Apple TV on the Apple forum... http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056058246

Thanks but i don't think this is a hardware issue or OS..l've tried IOS, Windows 7 and OSX with the same results so it leads me to believe that this is a broadband routing issue on UPC.

Thanks but i don't think this is a hardware issue or OS..l've tried IOS, Windows 7 and OSX with the same results so it leads me to believe that this is a broadband routing issue on UPC.

Sounds more like that you're using a proxy server and Netflix don't like where you appear to be coming from.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 507 ✭✭✭mark17j

Netflix.ie works fine for me on UPC, no redirects,clear your cache

Sounds more like that you're using a proxy server and Netflix don't like where you appear to be coming from.

No proxy running...When i look up my IP I get the below:

• Advertisement

mark17j wrote: »

Its not my cache.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 459 ✭✭cc

Its not my cache.

Working fine on upc here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 507 ✭✭✭mark17j

Its not my cache.
    Well have u figured out what it is? it's not a UPC issue anyway.

Well have u figured out what it is? it's not a UPC issue anyway.

No i haven't, how have you come to that conclusion?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

Working grand on UPC here too,aswell as in my mates house who also has UPC.

Someone mentioned above that Netflix could have the potential to cripple DSL and midband,not sure about DSL,but surely a service like this wouldn't work at all on something as unstable as a midband connection?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

They will cripple UPC and all unless Netflix suddenly appear as INEX mmbers (I somehow suspect they will). Even then they will cripple UPC. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

Seriously?feck!

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭drumm23

No proxy running...When i look up my IP I get the below:

I have exactly the same issue, UPC too, no proxy, I can log in to Netflix fine from my work WiFi but get the country error code at home from PC, laptop and XBox. . . strange...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 437 ✭✭Blikes

Netflix working fine on my laptop, iphone and PS3, Nice one.

In the last hour or so, my broadband has slowed to a snails pace though,

I have 8mb NGB unlimited with Eircom, right now i'm getting a 970ms ping, 2.4mb down and 0.02 up! Wonder is this because of all the extra netflix traffic or just a temporary glitch!

drumm23 wrote: »
    I have exactly the same issue, UPC too, no proxy, I can log in to Netflix fine from my work WiFi but get the country error code at home from PC, laptop and XBox. . . strange...

Thank you...I am not the only :) I'd say we've some battle on our hands convincing UPC its their problem....

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

send your IP addresses to Netflix, they may not recognise them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭Virgin Media: Jason

Hi all

Anybody who is experiencing an issue accessing netflix on UPC broadband, we would love to help sort it out for you.

Please PM me with your account number and contact details and we will be in touch.

Thanks in advance

Regards

Jason

If you want to order new products from us and get a voucher for €50 through this boards offer, (and free activation of product) just click through this link http://www.upc.ie/boardsoffer/ (Please see the terms & conditions)

- For all customer service queries, please contact 1908.

UPC: Jason wrote: »
    Hi all

Anybody who is experiencing an issue accesing netflix on UPC broadband, we would love to help sort it out for you.

Please PM me with your account number and contact details and we will be in touch.

Thanks in advance

Regards

Jason

PM Sent - Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭thefishone

Using Chrome,it's working fine,
    When using Firefox,I get
    HTTP Status 500 -

type Status report
    description The server encountered an internal error () that prevented it from fulfilling this request.
    Apache Tomcat/6.0.10

Happy to have it working :D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,452 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    They will cripple UPC and all unless Netflix suddenly appear as INEX mmbers (I somehow suspect they will). Even then they will cripple UPC. :)

Not that Netflix deliver any of the traffic themselves, Limelight and Level 3's respective CDN's do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭StaticNoise

In your network settings, change your DNS from UPC to another provider.

I'm using Google DNS (http://code.google.com/speed/public-dns/).

Maybe that works.

I did a test recently and it found that the UPC DNS wasn't always correct in it's allocation, but that's getting fairly geeky and techy on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 tophermacdo

I'm having the same problem with Netflix. It wont let me watch on-demand programs on sky go through my xbox either.

I started happening when I upgraded my broadband to 100MB and they sent me out the new Cisco EPC3925 Modem.

I spoke with them last night and they said they are experiencing problems with their IP Range and hope to have an update on Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭DGRulz

Not sure if this is the correct place to ask this but I'll try anyway.

Trying to get Netflix to work on my Sony Blu-ray player. I have changes the DNS settings to:
    Primary DNS: 208.122.23.22
    Secondary DNS: 208.122.23.23

And that gives me access to all the US apps i.e Hulu, Netflix ect

From there I opened up the Netflix app and all was well, it gave me the activation code and I entered it, but that where things seem to have gone wrong. Now everytime I try to access Netflix I get this message
    "The service cannot be accessed at this time because the server replied with incorrect or invalid information"

I'm using unblock-us on my laptop and thats working fine. The only other thing I can think of is to change the DNS settings on the router as mentioned before but I'd prefer not to if possible because my parents have a desktop on the network that the use for business/online banking.

Anyone have any other suggestions?

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭DerryRed

I recently moved to UPC 100MB. I just got the new Apple TV and decided to try out Netflix. Everytime I watch something on Netflix and can't get beyond 10/15 minutes tops before the streaming starts buffering and/or drops.

I've tried Netflix on the iPad, Wii and laptop and the same issue. I've now tried around 10 films and haven't been able to watch one through from start to finish without an issue.

The only thing I can think of is an issue with the WiFi signal and I have noticed that the strength of the Wifi signal quite often drops to Good, Fair or Poor. I have a Cisco EPC3925 modem.

Anyone else having similar issues.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Connect via cable to rule out Wifi issues. It's the only way to get high speed anyway.

Advertisement