Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Favourite Live Album/Albums

Options
  • 09-01-2012 10:57am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭

For me it's gotta be

Bob Dylan Live 1975. The passion he sings with along with the stunning new arrangments of his classic songs seal the deal for me. Sublime.

Nirvana Live at Reading.

The band turned in one of my all time favourite live performances in this gig.
    Lithium, Breed and Come As You Are as blistering, go buy it!!

There's more I can't think off right now but please add your list and why you love it!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,891 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

Live At Massey Hall - Neil Young
    Live And Dangerous - Thin Lizzy
    Live! - Bob Marley & The Wailers
    Live - Evil - Miles Davis (part of it is live)
    I Might Be Wrong: Live Recordings - Radiohead (not sure if it counts since it's recordings of performances from various different gigs)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭rednik

Deep Purple - Made in Japan
    Whitesnake - Live in the heart of the city
    AC/DC - If you want blood you've got it
    Lizzy - Live and dangerous
    Roger Waters - In the flesh
    David Gilmour - Live in Gdansk
    Lynyrd Skynyrd - One more for the road
    Dire Straits - Alchemy
    Eagles - Hell freezes over
    Guns n Roses - Live era 87 - 93
    Iron Maiden - Rock in Rio
    Paul McCartney - Good evening New York
    Peter Frampton - Frampton comes alive
    Rory Gallagher - Live in Europe

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

Queen - Live Killers
    Rush - Exit Stage Left & R30

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Icaras

Bob Dylan '66 Royal Albert Hall Concert, 2 very different disks and the version of like a rolling stone is unbelievable.
    Leonard Cohen Songs from the road
    Daft Punk alive 2007

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

00182458_medium.jpeg

The Cure - Paris
    Recorded in 1992 and features a lot of earlier cult material like 'The Figurehead', 'One Hundred Years' and 'Play For Today'. The album is just short of an hour but the set is absolutely perfect. The set seems to start off with the darker material and gets lighter and more bittersweet as it goes on, finishing with probably the best version of 'Close To Me' I've ever heard.

51xH4zLTeHL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Galaxie 500 - Copenhagen
    Recorded in 1990 and was also the last time the band played in Europe. What I love so much about this album is that the band sound so stripped down and raw, they are bursting with passion and it's like they're in the room with you. The version of 'Listen, The Snow is Falling' is the highlight of the set and it sends shivers down my spine.

album-MC5-Kick-Out-the-Jams.jpg

MC5 - Kick Out The Jams
    Anybody who has the slightest interest in rock must listen to this. The band are completely off their heads and they tear through these eight songs, recorded over the course of two nights, with so much energy and conviction you can almost smell the sweat. There's some brilliant banter as well, especially with Rob Tyner proclaiming that "right now... right now it's time to... KICK OUT THE JAMS, MOTHERFUCKER!", before launching into the title track. Incredible.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

Rory Gallaghers 4CD boxset "Lets Go To Work"
    Jeff Buckley - Mystery White Boy
    Nirvana - MTV unplugged

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭maupat

Nirvana - MTV Unplugged

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Temaz

Bob Dylan's MTV Unplugged is another one that gets a lot of playtime in my house.

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Can'tseeme

Nirvana - MTV Unplugged
    Christy Moore - Live at The Point

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,890 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

Temaz wrote: »
    For me it's gotta be
    <....>
    Nirvana Live at Reading.

The band turned in one of my all time favourite live performances in this gig.
    Lithium, Breed and Come As You Are as blistering, go buy it!!

There's more I can't think off right now but please add your list and why you love it!!
    Bugger!
    I have it on tape from BBC 1Fm from the week after Kurt died but its in an awful state. (living on the border meant you were near enough to receive 1FM but far enough that recordings werent always mint!)
    Didnt know it was properly released! Listening to it now inline. Class!
    Has to be one of my favourite live performances.

Another one that cant be forgotten is Dead Can Dance - Toward the Within.
    So good that you'd nearly forget that its a live album (the box set even has a version of the gig with the applause edited out)

Probably the best though has to be the original Orbital Glastonbury gig (also taped off 1FM same day as the concert on John Peel show).
    Changed my life in the sense that electronic music was my main love from then on so. Also changed the view of a heap of people I knew that electronic music was more than either the Prodigy or wierd plink plonk crap!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Temaz

Alice In Chains MTV unplugged along with Neil Young's mtv gig are ones I suggest everyone owns!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

Sisters of Mercy - Rough Diamonds / Floorshow/Wake/Napalm Gods
    IMG_3555_edited.jpg

Nirvana MTV unplugged
    Mc5 (too)
    Rammstein - Live Aus Berlin/Volkerball
    Bowie - Santa Monica 1972
    / Bremen 1978
    Bauhaus - Press the Eject and Give Me the Tape

Another fantastic one was the stooges 1973 live rehearsals album. Open up and bleed, Johanna, Pinpoint eyes, rubber legs etc.

Advertisement