Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

running/jogging meet up/group! interested?

Options
  • 09-01-2012 11:21am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 90 ✭✭

Hi All,

I have just started to jog again, yep its that time of year to dust off the cobwebs!

Just throwing an idea out here to see if anyone who is interested in getting fit by running/jogging and who is finding it hard to maintain motivation (especially when you see people older than you running as if they are completing a marathon).

I was in the lk athletic club way back- but feel at the moment that i cannot keep up with them!

Anybody interested in joining me maybe two/three times a week to start of with an easy jog route and maybe aim to do the 10k in the summer?

Its much more fun working out with a group than struggling on your own!

Thanks and Hope I get some takers:)

Nic

Mod - apologies if i am posting in the wrong area...

Letterkenny Jogging.... What Day & time works for you best? 15 votes

Monday
    0% 0 votes
    Tuesday
    26% 4 votes
    Wednesday
    6% 1 vote
    Thursday
    20% 3 votes
    Friday
    13% 2 votes
    6pm
    6% 1 vote
    7pm
    20% 3 votes
    8pm
    6% 1 vote
    9pm
    0% 0 votes
    10pm
    0% 0 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭0lordy

Hi Nic,

That's a great idea, I'd be up for it myself, but probably only quite sporadic, and really only available after 8:00 PM, which won't work for most.

Will keep an eye on the thread, and might join in where I can.

One thing that's quite good is the Runkeeper app - if you have a smart phone. Useful for tracking your activities, but also can be shared with others in a local group, keeping the motivation up!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 904 ✭✭✭yourpics

Great idea. This could be developed in much the same way as the boards.ie members who meet up for astro every week.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 90 ✭✭nikinova

Thats great folks, spread the word...it would great to get this up and running (pardon the pun), the more the merrier - also to mention; all levels welcome :)

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭lamai

There is a running group that leaves the mount errigal on Wednesdays I think at 6.30pm. They do core work also probably from 6pm and then run after it. It involves speed work, but it has all levels of runners and would be ideal for someone getting back into running. Maria mc Cambridge does the training( former Olympic and hopefully London Olympic runner) I think it is 5 euro, it is a group and you will get a great level of fitness from doing it.

lamai wrote: »
    There is a running group that leaves the mount errigal on Wednesdays I think at 6.30pm. They do core work also probably from 6pm and then run after it. It involves speed work, but it has all levels of runners and would be ideal for someone getting back into running. Maria mc Cambridge does the training( former Olympic and hopefully London Olympic runner) I think it is 5 euro, it is a group and you will get a great level of fitness from doing it.

sounds great Iamai thanks for that! However looking to start at beginners level again and build up my speed:) Maria McCambridge is a great runner, I have seen her in action, and boy does she run fast:)

Ok folks - keep the word out - free running group for those who want to get fit at a nice healthy pace aiming for the 10k this summer:) Also a great way to meet fellow boarders :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 904 ✭✭✭yourpics

Probably best to run a poll and figure out 2 or 3 evenings and times that suit most people.

Then use this thread to work out who will be able to attend each session each week. It should be easier to run than the astro as you don't need the same numbers (for teams etc).

There is a good few races coming up that can be trained towards, 10K in Letterkenny, Runegal (Horn Head), 10 mile Challenge Ballyliffin etc

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭martyeds

Great idea but unfortunately due to work and looking after 2 young children i would not be able to attend.
    On a side note does anyone know where i can get info on upcoming 5 km runs around the county. I would like to try one but i only heard about the New Year run in Letterkenny on Sunday, when it was over. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Charao

http://www.liffordac.com/

Lifford athletic club are organising three 5k runs on the next three Sundays. They are 5 euro entry and open to all levels.

Sunday 15th January 2012 - St. Johnston/Carrigans
    Sunday 22nd January 2012 - Raphoe
    Sunday 29th January 2012 - Lifford

Start Times for all races 10.00am

Just signed up there, good excuse to get out running :)

Charao wrote: »

Lifford athletic club are organising three 5k runs on the next three Sundays. They are 5 euro entry and open to all levels.

Cheers for the info. I am not able to make the one on Sunday but hopefully should get to one of the others at least.

yourpics wrote: »
    Probably best to run a poll and figure out 2 or 3 evenings and times that suit most people.

Then use this thread to work out who will be able to attend each session each week. It should be easier to run than the astro as you don't need the same numbers (for teams etc).

There is a good few races coming up that can be trained towards, 10K in Letterkenny, Runegal (Horn Head), 10 mile Challenge Ballyliffin etc

apologies for this stupid question but how do you run a poll on this forum?

I would really love to get this 'not too serious/casual' running group up and running soon...we can run it whenever suits the majority. I am happy anytime to get out running ( apologies in advance - i am a bit slow at the moment but I have running legs that just need a bit (sorry a lot) of exercise!)

Thanks

Nic

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

nikinova wrote: »
    apologies for this stupid question but how do you run a poll on this forum?

I would really love to get this 'not too serious/casual' running group up and running soon...we can run it whenever suits the majority. I am happy anytime to get out running ( apologies in advance - i am a bit slow at the moment but I have running legs that just need a bit (sorry a lot) of exercise!)

Thanks

Nic

You can't add a poll to a thread retrospectively, I can add one for you if you like though :)

Sending you a PM here now.

You can't add a poll to a thread retrospectively, I can add one for you if you like though :)

Sending you a PM here now.

Many Thanks Homer:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

Poll added, I've left it so people who are interested could choose both an evening and a time ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭lamai

nikinova wrote: »
    sounds great Iamai thanks for that! However looking to start at beginners level again and build up my speed:) Maria McCambridge is a great runner, I have seen her in action, and boy does she run fast:)

Ok folks - keep the word out - free running group for those who want to get fit at a nice healthy pace aiming for the 10k this summer:) Also a great way to meet fellow boarders :)

ok but if your interested it's perfect for beginners all levels go to it, I did it a few years ago when I started running. Yes she is a great runner and coach and a very nice women to.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Bligh

Charao wrote: »

Thanks for the info on these runs, hoping to do one on the 29th

Did this running group get off the ground, i was hoping to join you guys some night if i get the chance.

hi there,

sorry this didn't take off but in saying that i did not pursue it too much as i returned to gym and am running faster on the threadmill!!!

Would you like to pursue this thread and get some more members interested??\

many thanks

N

Due to work and looking after 2 young children under 3 my evenings are usually fully booked!! I would only be able to make it once in a blue moon.

Advertisement