Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lahinch today

Options
  • 09-01-2012 11:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭

How's today looking for Lahinch? We've actually got a bit of sun down in Clare today and the wind has dropped off too. I checked the surf report and it looks good. Anybody down there today?

Comments

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,239 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Doesn't look like there's much wind according to the forecast. Worth going for a look I'd say, swell fairly big.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Dr Nic

Hi Guys,
    Can you help me interpret magicseaweed ratings?

Today at noon is given 5 stars
    http://magicseaweed.com/Lahinch-Beach-Surf-Report/52/
    >10foot westerly swell, with offshore wind (or no wind), period >10sec and you get 5 stars?

I only started work in Ennistymon but no board with me until the end of the week :(

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

Dr Nic wrote: »
    Hi Guys,
    Can you help me interpret magicseaweed ratings?

Today at noon is given 5 stars
    http://magicseaweed.com/Lahinch-Beach-Surf-Report/52/
    >10foot westerly swell, with offshore wind (or no wind), period >10sec and you get 5 stars?

I only started work in Ennistymon but no board with me until the end of the week :(

Thanks!

The wind is light and onshore in Lahinch today. You can check the conditions here http://www.lahinchsurfshop.com/ there's a live webcam and a daily report. It's 6ft today so its in the region of double overhead and not particularly clean. If you're a beginner there's plenty of whitewater to mess around in. It would be a battle getting out the back though.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭keryl

Nightmare and serious rip to boot. Surfboard was taking off by itself in the shallows!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭rodento

How's today looking for Lahinch? We've actually got a bit of sun down in Clare today and the wind has dropped off too. I checked the surf report and it looks good. Anybody down there today?

Look at a web cam ya lazy bugger:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Radiosurfer

I looked at the webcam but I couldn't find the "what will it be like when I get there" setting;)

Hit Spanish Point and it was great. As the above poster mentioned, there was lots of stuff for messing about in but it looked a bit hairy out the back.
    Could see a couple of guys out at the reef break including a SUP.

It was my first surf in months so I need to work on fitness and practice before I go for any real waves but stoked for the first time in ages.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Low Pockets

When I saw todays forecast over the weekend I text my boss just to remind him that I had booked monday off weeks ago....

I got a call very early to say it was small and not to bother. Headed off regardless in hope.

I surfed a wave today, that I have been waiting three years for, on a board I got shaped with this place is mind that I ordered nearly two years ago. With just me and one of my best mates out. In the sun, in Januray. O/h and glass with no one around.

Still sitting here in shock.

Nice, haven't had a proper enjoyable session in ages.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,239 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

When I saw todays forecast over the weekend I text my boss just to remind him that I had booked monday off weeks ago....

I got a call very early to say it was small and not to bother. Headed off regardless in hope.

I surfed a wave today, that I have been waiting three years for, on a board I got shaped with this place is mind that I ordered nearly two years ago. With just me and one of my best mates out. In the sun, in Januray. O/h and glass with no one around.

Still sitting here in shock.

Today was a once in three years swell? :D

Had a nice long left all to myself and a mate today, couldn't believe it, glad to hear I wasn't the only one dude!

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Low Pockets

No, not once in three years, but this place is fickle and it takes an awful lot to get it all lined up and perfect that and trying to make sure I can get there the days its on.

Its about as remote as remote gets and a long way out so you need to be very sure and it needs to be REALLY calm.

Still stoked sitting here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Decos

No, not once in three years, but this place is fickle and it takes an awful lot to get it all lined up and perfect that and trying to make sure I can get there the days its on.

Its about as remote as remote gets and a long way out so you need to be very sure and it needs to be REALLY calm.

Still stoked sitting here
    Class, sounds good man.

Wish I could say the same. Had a crappy surf today. Hadn't surfed in 6/7 weeks id say due to working a lot and it being howling onshore all over Christmas so completely out of practice, felt like a complete beginner today at times

Anyone for an afternoon surf on Friday?

Magicseaweed:
    2 stars, 5 foot swell, 9 sec period,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

haven't been down for MONTHS and MONTHS, so Saturday, it has to be, I'll be almost like a complete beginner, and my motivation and confidence will be dashed, I know it :(

forecast looking decent enough down that way this weekend though man, wouldn't right it off just yet ;)

Mickeroo wrote: »
    forecast looking decent enough down that way this weekend though man, wouldn't right it off just yet ;)
    Looking alrite isn't it. Bit early to get hopes up but fingers crossed eh!

Is it given too windy for sat/sun? Over 20mph. But it kind of is offshore...
    Dammit - cant read charts well enough to interpret conditions lol!

Dr Nic wrote: »
    Is it given too windy for sat/sun? Over 20mph. But it kind of is offshore...
    Dammit - cant read charts well enough to interpret conditions lol!
    The wind has increased and the swell decreased. We spoke too soon!

Was 2011 the worst year on record for the frequency of strong windy days? Seems like there has been less opportunities then ever to get out to the regular beach breaks due to strong wind. Lets hope 2012 calms down a bit.

Was 2011 the worst year on record for the frequency of strong windy days? Seems like there has been less opportunities then ever to get out to the regular beach breaks due to strong wind. Lets hope 2012 calms down a bit.

Calm days have been few and far between since last april. Seems to be a bit of a respite coming the next couple of weeks though.

Got it so wrong today, as punishment we spent the morning surfing maniac closeouts on the longboard, not the brightest idea in the whole world but at least it was fun:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Calm days have been few and far between since last april. Seems to be a bit of a respite coming the next couple of weeks though.

Jaysus, I hope so.

Wind has been the pits, the last few days have been beautiful though.

Hits back Saturday but fingers crossed it stays offshore.

Is anyone heading out tomorrow afternoon?
    Going to head around 1 or so & would like the company!!

Agreed, terrible wind over the past year. Hopefully 2012 will be better.

Tomorrow might be nice out there. Can't go till the weekend tho

Hey Dr Nic, I'm gonna be hitting Spanish Point as much as possible over the next few weeks. PM me if you fancy heading down that direction. Lahinch is just a little too far as I'm coming from Kilkee and usually have to get back to work after.

No prob - will do for sure...
    headin to lahinch on sun. Maybe next w'end...

Is it gonna be too windy to surf lahinch tomorrow afternoon?
    Anyone going?

I only plan on catching some small waves up at the front to work on things from my lesson with Ben
    Cheers!

Twisted a nerve in my back on Sunday (not surf related :rolleyes:) so I'm sitting here surfing waves of Diazepam.

Should be back in the water in another week, I hope. Let's hope it's a nice Feb.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Pablo_

I'm heading tommorrow dr Nic .... is it better to go just after high tide? ... i'll be only doin the basics anyway

• Advertisement

Err, have you checked the forecast

Advertisement