Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lahinch today

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Dr Nic

Yeah looks crazy windy.
    30mph :(

Is it worth it even?
    I have to head down that side of the country anyway, so i'll bring the board
    If theres anyone at all in there i might chance it.
    As i say im only staying in the 2 foot wash anyway to work on Bens advice

High tide is at 3pm tomorrow so dont be in the water in front of the rocks btw 2 and dark really

Maybe i wont bother at all tomorrow
    We'll see...

Dr Nic wrote: »
    Yeah looks crazy windy.

Is it worth it even?

High tide is at 3pm tomorrow so dont be in the water in front of the rocks btw 2 and dark really

We'll see...
    In ennistymon now. Very little wind.
    No expert but prob 10mph id say...
    sweet!

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Decos

Yeah looks crazy windy.

Is it worth it even?

We'll see...
    In ennistymon now. Very little wind.
    No expert but prob 10mph id say...
    sweet!
    Well how'd ya get on nic?

Ha ha - awful!

Tide was nearly in so only got about 90mins in there.
    It was very windy at the coast. Waves were on top of each other...

Tomorrow looks like light wind.
    Anyone heading about 11:30ish?

Could be close to low tide then - havent surfed lahinch with the tide out. Whats it like?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

Dr Nic, you need to make an effort with the surf forecasting rather than coming on to a forum looking to be spoon-fed, you'll never learn otherwise. I know from a glance at windguru that the wind will be moderate to strong cross-onshore (from the right) with a solid messy swell in Lahinch tomorrow and I rarely, if ever, surf there. I know that sounds harsh but I don't mean to be. Getting a good grasp of forecasting will save you a lot of petrol money and frustration in the long-term. I wrote a post here that might help and I'd be more than happy to help out with any questions.

• Advertisement

You're right that was pretty rude. Probably a nice bit wrong too, since im only on here to see who's going out, not what the wind is going to be like

But thanks for the info, that is a good help!

Again, I didn't mean that to come across harshly, I'm just a strong believer in the give a man a fish, teach a man to fish etc etc.

No prob at all - i've been just reading magicseweed. I'll add windguru on top of it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭rodento

Nothing worse than encouraging others to head out dodgy onshore conditions

rodento wrote: »
    Nothing worse than encouraging others to head out dodgy onshore conditions

Who exactly is encouraging Dr Nic to go out in dodgy onshore conditions, Ratty?

• Advertisement

Dr Nic is

Dr Nic is

My last bit of advice Rodent :D, please quote the post you're referring to on forums because nobody on the whole internet ever has a notion of who or what you are talking about as your posts are so vague.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Ronnie Beck

xxyyzz wrote: »
    Dr Nic, you need to make an effort with the surf forecasting rather than coming on to a forum looking to be spoon-fed, you'll never learn otherwise. I know from a glance at windguru that the wind will be moderate to strong cross-onshore (from the right) with a solid messy swell in Lahinch tomorrow and I rarely, if ever, surf there. I know that sounds harsh but I don't mean to be. Getting a good grasp of forecasting will save you a lot of petrol money and frustration in the long-term. I wrote a post here that might help and I'd be more than happy to help out with any questions.

:cool:

The best way too learn about the windguru buzz is to look up the forecast a then go to the beach and check it out. you cant learn it all on the internet. Plus you never be a good surfer in lahinch waiting for the 'perfect conditions' to come around once a month. think about it like playing football training twice a week and a match on saturday:D

:cool:

The best way too learn about the windguru buzz is to look up the forecast a then go to the beach and check it out. you cant learn it all on the internet. Plus you never be a good surfer in lahinch waiting for the 'perfect conditions' to come around once a month. think about it like playing football training twice a week and a match on saturday:D

Very true. I'd agree that without experience it is hard to equate windspeed and swell height figures on windguru with actual conditions, however if somebody is driving across the country to get skunked twice a week the novelty will wear off very quickly.

WRT to waiting for the right conditions, I did put the following caveat in the useful advice post
    The details above describe ideal conditions but unfortunately in this country its not all that often that these conditions come together so you have to compromise.

To be fair xxyyzz has a nice little bit written here

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055828999

Would love to know where the shot is from D

xxyyzz wrote: »
    Very true. I'd agree that without experience it is hard to equate windspeed and swell height figures on windguru with actual conditions, however if somebody is driving across the country to get skunked twice a week the novelty will wear off very quickly.

WRT to waiting for the right conditions, I did put the following caveat in the useful advice post

I think dr nic lives in ennistymon

Think thats lahinch in the shots there. Wasn't having a go just don't think you should be discouraging someone from surfing in bad conditions. I was always told starting off to go out in all conditons (once its safe:D) and to never stop paddling once your out there. :pac:"if you stop paddling you'll always have to stop" There the days that get you fit, not when its three foot and offshore with a 16 s period

Think thats lahinch in the shots there. Wasn't having a go just don't think you should be discouraging someone from surfing in bad conditions. I was always told starting off to go out in all conditons (once its safe:D) and to never stop paddling once your out there. :pac:"if you stop paddling you'll always have to stop" There the days that get you fit, not when its three foot and offshore with a 16 s period
    Well said Ronnie.

I was always told starting off to go out in all conditons (once its safe:D) and to never stop paddling once your out there. :pac:"if you stop paddling you'll always have to stop" There the days that get you fit, not when its three foot and offshore with a 16 s period

Good points. I'd agree with that. I would say though that it is worth the effort to try and figure out the forecasts at a early stage e.g. There's no point blindly going to Lahinch in the summer if there is only a small north-west swell running becaus you're gonna get skunked. A glance at the forecast will tell you to go to a north facing spot.

Well yesterday was incredible...
    Off shore 15mph wind.
    Out with ben & managed to hold my best ever wave.
    Never seen waves as clean. 1 star on magicseaweed my a$$ lol

Thinking about heading out tomorrow around 2pm but it a south/south easterly wind looks pretty bad...
    Finished work at half 2 in Ennistymon so might just chuck the board in the car anyway...

Ps - need to get 5mil booties & a 5mil suit. Had hypothermia yest after 3 hours in my 3mil suit and unknown thickness booties :-(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭keryl

I can handle going hoodless but gloves and boots proper are essential.

Not really sure how the hell you went out with 3mm lol

Well yesterday was incredible...
    Off shore 15mph wind.
    Out with ben & managed to hold my best ever wave.
    Never seen waves as clean. 1 star on magicseaweed my a$$ lol

Thinking about heading out tomorrow around 2pm but it a south/south easterly wind looks pretty bad...
    Finished work at half 2 in Ennistymon so might just chuck the board in the car anyway...

Ps - need to get 5mil booties & a 5mil suit. Had hypothermia yest after 3 hours in my 3mil suit and unknown thickness booties :-(
    Jesus dunno how u did 3hrs in a 3mm. It was damn cold today out there but very worth it, some brilliant waves today.

Tomorrow should defo be worth a look nic. Wind looks fine.

Fecking raging I couldn't get out today. My boss cajoled me into giving a lad a lift to limk even tho it was my half day.

Hope it was good today. Web cam looked class.

Any 1 know of a 5mil suit and booties going cheap?

There's a guy selling a 5mm rip curl wettie on LongboardIreland.com

Fantastic day today with Ben & my gf.
    5 surfers in the water. 4' average wave. Rode one for 10 secs+
    Ben is legend lol

New fbomb suit & 7mm alder boots were toasty warm!! :-)

Anyone heading fri afternoon? Might wait for Saturday altogether. Looks great!

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Radiosurfer

Friday afternoon might be an idea. What time is good?

I'll be there around half 12 or 1. :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Gavin Saturday

i always think lahinch is just a town beside a poor, but well located, beach
    beats me i guess

i always think lahinch is just a town beside a poor, but well located, beach
    beats me i guess

You should be a travel writer gavin. Where would you recommend as an alternative.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Gavin Saturday

there are loads of options 30 mins north / south of lahinch
    they just dont have cafes and surf shops beside them
    try the likes of doughmore down in doonbeg
    try fanore
    even go to spanish point
    all superior to lahinch
    surfing in lahinch is just a tad more exciting than surfing in kilkee (which is prob the equivalent of taking a surf board down to ur local swimming pool)

Advertisement