Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insulating the house!!

Options
  • 09-01-2012 12:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭

Hi
    was just wondering how much it would cost roughly to insulate the walls and attic in a house, i know there are grants to help too, house is one story roughly 110-120 square ft,
    Was considering pumping the foam stuff in the attic its supposed the best from what i hear, i guess normal pumping of the walls too. Any help is much appreciated.Anyone ya would recommend too

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭robd

Hi
    was just wondering how much it would cost roughly to insulate the walls and attic in a house, i know there are grants to help too, house is one story roughly 110-120 square ft,
    Was considering pumping the foam stuff in the attic its supposed the best from what i hear, i guess normal pumping of the walls too. Any help is much appreciated.Anyone ya would recommend too

I don't think anyone could realistically give you an answer to that one.

The number of floors, type of roof, number of external walls, wall construction type, length of external walls, would all be needed.

In the majority of cases you generally can't pump the walls. Only cavity walls (as a pose to cavity blocks) work for that. You're generally looking at internal foam backed plasterboard or external insulation.

Only quote I've heard recently is 18,000 for externally insulating a 3 bed 70's semi-d in Dublin. Quote was 2,000 more expensive due to person wanting original look brick finish on bottom and original look pebble dashing on rest of house.

Others can prob provide quotes they got for different types of insulation (qualified by their house size and type and location)

AFAIK max grant was reduced from 4,000 to 1,000 in last budget. Also, I don't think grant is available for DIY only if you employ a registered contractor.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭desertcircus

Hi

Insulation in the attic - with rolls of the stuff, nothing more complicated - cost us about 600 just over a year ago and halved the amount of home heating oil we use; it's already turning a profit. Take care of the attic first, as it's probably going to provide the best return.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭StillWaters

Cavity wall and attic insultation for standard 3 bed semi cost me €1,200 iirc about 2 years ago.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,495 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

I just got the external walls of two bedrooms internally insulated for just under €1000. But then again, your walls could be a totally different size so that's not much good. The difference to my rooms is unbelievable.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭TheFarneyman

Cavity wall and attic insultation for standard 3 bed semi cost me €1,200 iirc about 2 years ago.
    dory wrote: »
    I just got the external walls of two bedrooms internally insulated for just under €1000. But then again, your walls could be a totally different size so that's not much good. The difference to my rooms is unbelievable.

Thanks any people you might recommend?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭bladespin

First thing to do is draft exclusion, don't block vents though ;)

Nest is the attic, this will make the biggest difference as heat rises, I insulated out attic for about €150 a couple of years ago, I bought the insulation in B&Q NI when it was on sale for £10 per roll and laid it 200mm thick, there was a very noticable difference that amazed me. It's an itchy job but very easy to do, the only things to watch are not blocking the airways and making sure you don't put your foot through the ceiling (easy to do).

After that I'm currently investigating the cavity wall insulation but the cost versus return on it is putting me off a bit right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭TheFarneyman

Its a dormer bungalow so kind of a bit clueless as to how to insulate the attic when its like that, was thinking of maybe laying the normal rolls down myself but could be awkward to get at!!

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 280 ✭✭engineermike

Hi Noticed your post,
    My company has a renewable energy division. - You can see some details on
    http://www.thesolarpanelpeople.com/products.html

You can get detail on some of the different systems, on a word of advice you can now get spray foam on inner pitch of roof space - and foam pumped into the cavity space of walls, the cost is nearly double the price of traditional pump in (bead) cavity wall & roll out 'rock woll' or glass fibre attic insulation.
    The rule of thumb with insulation systems is the better the U value added in insulation the quicker you will get a return on your investment. Ancillary gains are also found in higher BER rating on your property.
    Mike F

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,495 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

Thanks any people you might recommend?

Well, what part of the country are you in?

Advertisement