Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone playing Rift?

Options
  • 09-01-2012 12:30pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭

So im thinking fo a return to Rift or WOW for a while until Guild Wars 2 comes out and/or swtor has a few months work.
    Apparently Rift has added a lot of pve content but still population on European servers can be a bit low?
    I cant seem to be able to post on the official rift forums, probably need to be subbed so i thought id ask here.
    Whats it like these days?
    I havent played since 3 months after release but definitely enjoyed the game a lot until i hit max lvl and population started to drop off.
    Im keen to hear from someone still playing and maybe what European PVE server you would suggest as i might sub for a month to see whats going on.
    Ill probably seek a scroll of ressurection for wow at some stage soon too but i know what to expect from wow.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,385 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

I was playing it a good bit before Christmas, but stopped due to Skyrim and BF3.

It's awfully PvE for my liking - there's not enough PvP at lower levels (only a lvl 28 healer) - that said, I came in from Warhammer Online which was all PvP at higher levels so I may be biased.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Wossack

I enjoyed it while I was playing it - though stopped about 3 months ago. Found myself only logging in to raid 2-3 times a week which I found a bit of a waste of a sub, so I stopped. Wasnt too much to do at the point I stopped though, and I got a good solid 6+ months out of it, at least 4 and a half of which at max level with a single character. Purely PVE, no PVP really (found pvp a bit pants as a rogue unfort)

Population was pretty good on Riptalon I thought, though even with the shard level (I think 4 more servers in Riptalons shard) looking-for-group tool, queuing as dps was still at least 40 mins for a group. Really relied on my guild for partying in that regard

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭CyberJuice

i was also thinking about goin back untill gw2 but i had a look around the forums and alot of the old complaints are still there regarding pvp and the grinding

i guess its worth a 1 month sub just to check out for yourself,there is dungeon finder and a few raids to keep you goin

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

CyberJuice wrote: »
    i was also thinking about goin back untill gw2 but i had a look around the forums and alot of the old complaints are still there regarding pvp and the grinding

i guess its worth a 1 month sub just to check out for yourself,there is dungeon finder and a few raids to keep you goin

Yeah ive been checking out the forums and pvp balance issues seem to be a problem but personally im not a huge pvp fan, i do enjoy pve however and what im hearing is theres a decent amount of content there, seocond only to wow on quantity apparently,how true that is i dont know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭oxo_

If you're in an active guild, or can join one, where people are prepared to put in the time and effort required - then yeah, you'll enjoy the game a lot still and there's a lot there to enjoy.

The end game "grind" killed off a lot of casuals, which seemed to make up quiet a large majority of players, pvp and pve wise. When that happened, servers started to die off, so everyone was moving around transferring to find a new home. Open world pvp was great for a while but that started to die off too when more people quit.
    If you weren't in a decent active guild then you'd be waiting ages to get a group together.
    WarFront PvP died off for a lot of people due to the premades which made people quit, which got messed up when they then made separate queues, which made more quit, which they then reverted, which then made even more quit (sigh)...

So for all the whining that went on in regards pvp and pvp whiners (Trion's forums were rife with it) when they all quit the game pops dropped drastically, which had a knock on effect of then driving up the pug pve queues, which (sigh...) made more quit again.

The game had and still has a lot going for it, it's not without it's problems but they've made considerable efforts to improve things. Unfortunately though it doesn't have the same server pops it once had, which effects everything. Merging servers though is almost like an admission the game is dead (which it isn't) but it's none-the-less a perception that sticks.
    I think they might be a bit clever about it though and just convert more live servers to trial servers, therefore removing them from the active server lists, so they "disappear" and eventually become forgotten about, rather than be merged.
    With the free transfers available, people will move around through community action and settle down to medium and high pop servers and be content with that.
    Trion then just need to readjust the server groupings for pvp/pve groups and all should be ok from there on.

If you give up on your Chloro due to low pops on the EU servers - consider re-rolling on one of the higher pop US servers (Wolfsbane or Faeblight maybe). Ignore the pvp servers, the world pvp doesn't exist other than a few gankers here and there so there's little point to it.
    I re sub every so often myself just to see how it's going and rather enjoy some (though not all) the grind. Seem to spend more time theory-crafting dps specs and tweaking macros than anything else though, out of choice mind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

I will say that Rift had one of the more memorable opening days to an MMO iv ever played. QuickSilver college being over run with level 15 Rifts from the get go was a funny sight and as everyone banded together to stomp them out.

I always felt that the world PVE in it was incredibly good when you had a good population, it was just done *perfectly* right. Have found memories of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭morgana

I am still enjoying Rift a lot, but then I'm PvE all through :P. As was said before, a good and active guild is a must. They will help you gear and run dungeon groups / raids. Most guilds have taken a hit in their active numbers due to recent game releases but I've also noticed quite a few re-subs joining us and having great fun :).
    On our server (Argent) the top guilds have coped by forming raid alliances for T2 raids.
    If you are not into raiding, there still is a lot to do with zone events and Ember Isle to explore and whjatever takes your fancy. The next patch (1.7) is on the horizon which, at current state, will add one more chronicle, do away with T1/T2 dungeon distinction, and hints of more ... :P

morgana wrote: »
    I am still enjoying Rift a lot, but then I'm PvE all through :P. As was said before, a good and active guild is a must. They will help you gear and run dungeon groups / raids. Most guilds have taken a hit in their active numbers due to recent game releases but I've also noticed quite a few re-subs joining us and having great fun :).
    On our server (Argent) the top guilds have coped by forming raid alliances for T2 raids.
    If you are not into raiding, there still is a lot to do with zone events and Ember Isle to explore and whjatever takes your fancy. The next patch (1.7) is on the horizon which, at current state, will add one more chronicle, do away with T1/T2 dungeon distinction, and hints of more ... :P

Im heairng good things about pve alright which suits me.
    What faction are you on btw?
    Ill probably resub and either gear up my chloromancer and or level up my cleric for some healing.

Thanks for input guys.

Defiant / Argent / Wolf Pack - shoot me a tell if you would like an invite :). Char name is Moiran or Moryi
    www.wolf-pack.dk
    Argent is the RP-PVE server, but we don't RP. The server community is quite mature and nice, the best I've experienced so far in MMOs.

morgana wrote: »
    Defiant / Argent / Wolf Pack - shoot me a tell if you would like an invite :). Char name is Moiran or Moryi
    www.wolf-pack.dk

Grrr wrong faction lol, for once i went with the so called good guys, i blame the boards guild :P
    I think i have an alt cleric in the teens on Defiant, ill see whats what when i resub, thanks mate.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 58 ✭✭Rob Nulty

No i dont play it.

Leveling is quick anyway :P and you might enjoy it ^^

Resubbed lastnight and so far im delighted i did.
    Forgot how awesome it looks and plays.
    Seems to be loads of content , although i was mostly playing an alt but seemed to be a lot of raids being organised in the capital city.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Ger_Stone

Wossack, what guild were you in in Riptalon?

I played there for most of my time there. Got a Bard to Prestige Rank 6 and then got bored of the WF's and I was only logging in to do raids a few times a week. Rift did/does have some nice features that I'd like to see in other MMO's though

• Registered Users Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Wossack

I played with the guild 'Defiants' and then 'Defiant Souls'. Main character called Brisk - melee dps rogue, all pve. Think the last boss I was involved in the killing of was Plut in RoS. Cleared all the 10mans, but were wiping alot on the bomb dropping dude in Greenscales Blight

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭MikeyJoyce

Im thinking also about joining rift until GW2 but i have no idea what server or such to play on? any ideas?

MikeyJoyce wrote: »
    Im thinking also about joining rift until GW2 but i have no idea what server or such to play on? any ideas?

Ill probably transfer to Icewatch, seems the highest population according to here http://www.riftstatus.net/shards/eu

Transfer takes 30 seconds and can be done every 7 days i believe, great service tbh.

Yeah it's great, would like to see it implemented on other games too, would be nice.

Game is free between the 19-22 will definitely re install and give it a lash. Miss the game world.

It really depends what you like, PvE Blightweald is supposed to be good with decent population. I play on Argent, RP-PvE (Defiant), population has dropped alright but is still ok and in a good guild you are not that much affected as you will find ppl to group up with. There are about 4 raiding guilds on the Defiant side, my guild (I am an officer) will be happy to welcome any Newbies / Resubs / whatever :P.

PvP i havn't a clue :P

• Advertisement

Morg dunno if you 'll know anything about this but did Riftblade specs get drastically changed over the last year? Loved going as it during my time as I felt it had a load of interesting situational spells that didn't mean you stuck to one standard rotation.

You also get 3 free days if you go back and change your password or something since Trion got hacked.

Check out this guys Lets play series of rift, decent viewing for anyone thinking of coming back.

http://www.youtube.com/user/sambonz?feature=watch

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

What's PvP like in Rift these days?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭oxo_

Open World PvP is what you make of it., meaning you need to go out these days and look for it or start it. Very few big guilds (US side anyway) bother any more with events or otherwise.

Warfront PvP is as it always was but now has relatively long wait times/queues due to less people playing and the battlegroups being old or now misconfigured and not taking into account the changes in server pops. Trion are actively working on that though, changing battlegroups and reorganising low pop servers to improve queue times for all, few weeks and they'll sort it out I reckon.

Far as I'm aware, PvP goes up to rank 8 now. Gear is top notch at Rank 8 and they're also improving the lower ranked gear in the upcoming patch so there's not too much of a gap.
    If you're just starting off in pvp with a new alt and gearing it up, better be ready to accept plenty of deaths and being globalled in a single stun :)

When the queue times are good though, you can rank up fast in pvp through the warfronts alone, gear up and head out into the open world for some better pvp fun (if you can still find it).
    If you're in a premade you can rank/gear up faster (if your premade is good) otherwise pugging isn't too bad either so long as you don't get a whack of coming up against constant premade groups.

Botters and leechers are usually suspended or banned within a couple hours if you take the time to report them (US servers anyway, they're banned/suspended within an hour).
    So at least a competitive edge remains for pugging without an overbearing hindrance of botters ruining it for either side.
    All classes are capable in pvp, don't listen to the nerf/buff whines on their forums. If you're a good player you'll have fun with any class and any spec.

I honestly think the Instant Adventure feature alone is worth subbing for.
    I tried it for the first time this afternoon on my 50 chloromancer and it was absolutely epic.
    When they say instant adventure they mean it, your instantly teleported to the location of the large raid chain quest where you fight all manner of things including the invasions we all loved when we first played, Epic stuff.
    At one stage there was a full raid of us taking on literally hundreds of mobs of all shapes and sizes until we completed the quest, then your asked if you want to be teleported to the next location and so on, its infinite i believe.
    Absolutely fantastic idea from Trion so much fun.

are charachter transfers free? im thinking of goin back but my server wasnt really that good 2 months after launch so i guess its like a ghosttown now, not wanting to pay 20 euro to transfer and dont want to start a new toon and level up all over again

also can anyone confirm its free to play from the 19th of this month to the 22nd?

Yes on both fronts. I know im going back.

Actually had to ring up Trion customer support over my account, completely forgot the password and didnt know my secret answer. Rang up the CS in the USA and had everything sorted in 4 minutes and it only cost 80 cent which really surprised me. I dunno about others but Trions CS is one thing that will always make me give them their money iv always found them to be top notched.

• Advertisement

anyone got the name of a good eu pvp server with high populatyion and raiding guilds

Advertisement