Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do you pronounce "Dún Laoghaire"

Options
  • 09-01-2012 1:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭

I always pronounce it like "Dun Leery". I have heard it pronounced as "Dun Leera" before.

Am I making a fool out of myself?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Doon lair- ah

• Registered Users Posts: 28,192 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

dunne leary

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭Keano!

done-lee-ree

• Registered Users Posts: 5,119 ✭✭✭homer911

the English pronunciation would be dunne-leary, but the Irish pronunciation would be more like doon-leera

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

I was working out in Swords and a Yank came up to me asking if I knew the way to DoonLay-Go-Hara!!! No I know where they meant!

To be fair, it must be a nightmare for anyone not from these shores to pronounce some of our towns.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

Omackeral wrote: »
    To be fair, it must be a nightmare for anyone not from these shores to pronounce some of our towns.

I think it's about the same for them as it is for us to go abroad. At least ours are not in Cyrillic !

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,719 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

A German friend of mine when talking about Swords doesn't silence the w :D

I've heard Dun Laoghaire called all sorts but Dun Loch-Air is my favourite pronunciation.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,432 ✭✭✭cml387

Kingstown

Advertisement