Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Work issue

Options
  • 09-01-2012 2:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭

We have a big contract at work. It accounts for over 50% of my work and over 50% of our income stream. In short, if we lose this contract our office will shut.

I get on well with the people that give us the work and I have never gotten a complaint from them about the work done etc.

However, I got a call from another person in the industry this morning to say that he heard a rumour that we were being replaced on this contract. He heard it from the guy who is meant to be replacing us. He told me this information in confidence and I cannot mention his name in relation to it.

My question is, what the hell do I do????

Do i confront the people and ask them are they moving the work? Do I play dumb? Do I contact them to just check if they are happy with our service etc?

My stomach is in knots here.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Jo King

It is not wise to confront them or ask them any direct question. The usual thing to do is invite someone senior to a lunch or social event and see what their demeanour is. There may be hints dropped. You can then and react.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

OP - moved from PI, your question may be better suited on this forum.

Taltos

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭brokensoul

Taltos - sorry. I didnt know that this forum existed!

Jo King, thats my gut feeling too. I hate waiting though. I dont really deal with any senior people they are all 100 plus miles away so all communication is by email and phone. Everything has been normal so far.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

It's very strange for a competitor to ring you up and say you are being replaced. He could be making this up for all you know.

What you could do is ring your customer and ask are they happy with your service or are there any worrys they may have.

If you ring up wanting to know why you're being replaced and you're wrong about it, it could lead you to being well replaced.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

brokensoul wrote: »
    Do I contact them to just check if they are happy with our service etc?

I'd do this. Don't make it obvious that you think there is a problem of course.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭brokensoul

Catfromhue - thanks.

The person who told me is very trustworthy so i am certain he is not making it up. He may be being fed false information though.

Probably a good idea to ring them alright, I just have to wait for my nerves to calm down a bit!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Maybe instead of ringing go and meet this client

An open meeting, all issues are discussed and if there are issues you want to hear them.

At least if there are issues then you have a shot at fixing them.

You won't get that from a phonecall

Better that then you being told you are doing well and then suddenly the contract is lost

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Are you the manager? If not, then I'd be telling the manager ASAP ... this needs to be dealt with at a higher up level. Be sure to mention to the manager that you don't know the information quality.

Advertisement