Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Peas and Beans

Options
  • 09-01-2012 2:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭

It's my first year growing on the allotment so I'm keen to get going. I have a tunnel so I'm looking for advice on when I can start these?
    I'll sow mangetout this week. I also got a pack of Hurst Green shaft peas. Can these be started off early too for growing on in the polytunnel and some for transplanting outside later?
    I got dwarf french beans (Safari). Can these be started in the tunnel now?
    And what about the timing for climbing beans?

I never grew these before so I have no idea how much the plants will produce. I have an 8 x 4 foot raised bed in the tunnel for peas and beans and the same sized raised bed outside. Could anyone advise roughly how many plants in and out would work for a family of 4 (2 small kids).

Appreciate your time

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 bartlguy

The best site for all of your needs is probably :

http://www.gardenhealth.com/grow-your-own/

They do full lists and details of what to grow and how to grow etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭sirpsycho

I planted two double rows of peas - actually 1.5 double rows of peas and 0.5 double row of mangetout. I got a few KG of them, still have 2 full bags of peas in the freezer.

Edit: forgot to mention the bed is 4ft x 8ft. They totally engulfed the bed too :)

Kept us going well and had more mangetout than I knew what to do with :D

Believe me, after shelling that amount of peas you will never want to see another pea again!

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭sirpsycho

ps.

This guy's blog has a good general planting guide.

He plants his French Beans in his tunnel but doesnt plant them too early.

http://www.allotment-diary.co.uk/Allotment-vegetable-sowing-planting-time-planner.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

Great, thanks a million, I'll have a good read.
    That's some crop of peas!

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭cold case

We are picking our peas at the moment, (Kelvedon wonder) and they taste lovely and sweet straight from the pods. However some pods are crinkled and rough, and a bit cloudy in colour on the outside, and the peas inside are not nice to taste raw. Are these ok to cook and eat, or is there something wrong with them? Many thanks

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Cardinal Richelieu

cold case wrote: »
    We are picking our peas at the moment, (Kelvedon wonder) and they taste lovely and sweet straight from the pods. However some pods are crinkled and rough, and a bit cloudy in colour on the outside, and the peas inside are not nice to taste raw. Are these ok to cook and eat, or is there something wrong with them? Many thanks

Pods go yellow/gray when over mature, not great to eat but some people save them as seed for next year. Best to cook the peas soon after harvesting if you wish to enjoy the sweet taste at its best or blanch and freeze them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

Leave some on the plants and try to pick them just before they are ready to burst open. The pod will be papery in texture. Take them indoors, shell them and dry the peas on a window sill and then store them for next year. Free peas forever :) Tried it with some from my early tunnel crop and have some growing and producing. Aint nature wonderful.

Advertisement