Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

damaged scew removal

• 09-01-2012 2:35pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭

basically i have a allen (hex)key bolt and the slot has become rounded so the key just spins in it. I've tried a slighty larger one but it is too big, I've tried a flat head screw driver and surprise surprise it rounds it more. unfortunalty the bolt is flush with the surface so i cant use a pliers to grab hold of it. Anyone know a way to remove one of these?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭gerrymadden1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭b318isp

What diameter is it and would you know if it is high tensile or not? Have you heard of easi-outs or stud extractors?

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭johnam

Faolchu wrote: »
    basically i have a allen (hex)key bolt and the slot has become rounded so the key just spins in it. I've tried a slighty larger one but it is too big, I've tried a flat head screw driver and surprise surprise it rounds it more. unfortunalty the bolt is flush with the surface so i cant use a pliers to grab hold of it. Anyone know a way to remove one of these?

you can buy a damaged screw extractor in your local hardware store, or I think I bought mine in a motor factors. With the kit you just make sure you put plenty of pressure on the screwdriver and it will start to drill into the damaged screw until the the drill builds up enough pressure and starts to turn. . This is a video of a JML ad for their version of the extractor, but there are lots of brands out there, Aldi and Lidl do them every now and then. In fact the aldi link below is from the end on Jan 2011, so they might be about to come out again seeing as Aldi rotate all their tools through out the year.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=7675918483782427950

http://www.aldi.ie/ie/html/offers/special_buys3_15762.htm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Faolchu

cant recall the size, basically there's a problem with my car door, the door handle wont open from inside but will from outside, I took the panel off and checked the handle, the cable to it seems fine at the internal handle end, so the problem must be at the actual lock side. the lock is held in by 3 bolts that use an allen(hex) key to release. the first two opened very easy the third as soon as i put it it and started to turn it rounded. I figured it may have been that my allen keys where cheap yokes coz the key also rounded. but when i looked the slot for the key had rounded.

its not huge as i said its from a car door (2007 Nissan) I can check my tools later to see which size key i used. no clue if its high tensile or not

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭johnam

If you dont want to destroy the screw, dont use the screw extactor, I would suggest getting out your set of allen keys and finding the largest bit that fits, then go up one step from there, be it .5mm or 1mm bigger and use a hammer to tap it into the screw, nothing too severe, just a couple of slight taps to drive it in. If the screw rounded that easily, it should tap in easily too. Use WD40 to try loosen the screw, and keep tapping the allen key as you turn it. The shock from the taps along with the WD40 should help break the bond that is holding it from turning

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭b318isp

You may just have to drill the head off then. It's probably too small/inaccessible for an easi-out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Faolchu

i'll try the wd40 and hammer trick (didnt have a hammer to had at the time). I couldnt care less if teh screw gets damaged in the process I'll ust pick up a replacement before i start in my local garage so i'll bin the damaged one

Advertisement