Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Overcharged by Driving School

Options
  • 09-01-2012 2:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 44

I recently undertook a number of lessons with a well known driving school in Dublin. My driving test was last week so I agreed to rent the driving instructors car for the duration of the test along with an hours driving before hand. On this same day in the office, I booked a final 3 hour driving lesson. I was quoted a price for all of this which I agreed and this was charged to my credit card.

The day after I passed my test, I noticed an additional amount had been charged to my credit card by the company. I rang up and queried this charge and spoke with an incredibly rude lady who told me that I had been told the wrong price in the office and that this was why they had charged me the additional amount. After a very frustrating conversation, I was told the man I spoke with on the day would call me back. Needless to say I have not heard from anyone since.

I'm confused now as to where I stand legally. Surely it is not my fault that I was quoted the wrong price and the company cannot just charge additional amounts to my credit card? Any advice on this would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Do you have any paperwork? Any receipt from the day?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭thebiglad

Do they record the telephone calls? If they do there will be a message when you dial them - in this case you can ask for the call to be reviewed.

Failing that call in to them - often more productive than phoning.

Finally - raise a dispute with your credit card company - you did not authorise them to take the amount from your credit card whether due to their or your misunderstanding.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 cailindeasciun

Thanks for the replies. I never got any receipt from them for any of my lessons.

I'll give the company one more shot and then failing that I guess I'll get on to my credit card company.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭seagull

You were quoted a price, accepted the price, made payment and your payment was accepted. That's formed a contract at the quoted price. Tell them that if they don't refund the second amount, you will raise a dispute with your card provider.

You no longer need their services, so you can be as hard nosed as you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,674 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Thanks for the replies. I never got any receipt from them for any of my lessons.

I'll give the company one more shot and then failing that I guess I'll get on to my credit card company.

Don't bother with them, just call you credit card company and tell them...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

The key thing here is that the services were delivered by the company at the agreed price. Thus there was acceptance and consideration (in contract law). They only changed the price after the services were delivered.

Advertisement