Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Run/walk/crawl. What ever it takes!

• 09-01-2012 3:01pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭

I suppose when people start a new training regeme, or pledge to do something in the first week of the year, its usally following 'A New Year's Resolution'. For me, I can happily say this is not the case. So before I bore you further, or fail to convince you of my plans before I even come to them, here goes.

This year I plan to will run/walk/crawl/what ever it takes, a marathon, the Belfast one in May to be exact, entry paid and race number confirmed back in September. This is not my first venture into running, or some crack pot idea I have just came up with, although sometimes the way my body responds, it might as well be.

It started off last year, bored with unemployment, started going for long walks, coupled with run/walking sessions, running as slow as I could for as long as I could, a sort of botched version of the C25k, I finished my first ever road race, The Streets of Sligo 5K, in a time of 23 minutes, went on to the Warriors Run (15km), and finished off with the Rosses Point 8K where one of my muscles decided to say 'F*ck you Stew, I'm not doing this any more' (referal has only came now for this month).

Done a few sessions since, including a light 5k jog/walk this morning (32 minutes), the muscle strain is not to bad, some light stretching about a mile in. Have also picked up a Marathon running guide, have decided to do the 'Just get me around the route in one peice' 12 week training plan, aimed for 4hr plus times (my target is under 4.5hrs).

So with 17 weeks to go to race day, hoping to build up a few more miles before the 12 week training plan starts, any plans to get me to that stage and beyond will be greatly apreciated, or any other tips or advice, hopefully plan to complete antother 5k road race during these 5 weeks as well. In return will keep you update on the training, and on any events I do as well.

Cheers in advance guys and gals, and if you got this far, thanks for reading.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭insinkerator

Which plan are you following?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Not sure who it's originally by but its from 'Ultimate Guide to Marathon Running' Bookmag Third edition. Plan is tittled '4 Hrs Plus, Or get me round in one peice'. They also have palns for 3hr 30min, and Sub 2hr 55 min.

Although plan to do a 4 or 5 week plan first to build my self up again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭LaHaine

Best of luck with it. You've the right attitude anyway. Just get out there and do it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭red face dave

Best of luck you should have a look at this log from last years Dublin Marathon where a few experienced runners helped a few novices get over the finish line. This should help you out looking back now it makes a great read with some interesting questions

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056248197

Best of luck

So two 5k runs this week on monday and wednesday, and some circuit training tonight.

Have reveised one of my aims slightly and would maybe like to try and 10k road race before I get into the 12 week Marathon training plan, as have previously ran 5 and 8k as road races.

But one question, alot of the training plans I have looked at dont metion circiuts with most of them mentioning either swiming, cycling or strenght work, and wondering if circuits could be used as a subsitute. Dont want to end up killing my self or burning out now.

• Advertisement

Done the slightly longer run this morning.

Decided to do a route that i knew, although having never ran it before hoping it to be around the 45minute or 8km mark.

So with an old Garmin in hand (4-5 year old designed for the bike), set off, dispite the odd auto pause/resume due to tree cover, got home in a time of just over 48 minutes running 8km. A pace of around 9-10 minutes a mile, not far off the training times I was doing last year for the three running events completed.

Still looking for my 10k road race in about 3 weeks. would like to knock a couple of minutes of the pace for that, but at this stage, if can run 9 minute miles in a marathon, will be more than happy.

Quiet week. Just out twice so far. 5k on tuesday evening, 32 minutes, confusingly my pace was slower per mile than it was for my 8k on the saturday morning. I'm already thinking I run better earlier in the day.

Last night done 2 miles at race pace, first race of Sligo Athletics Clubs Winter League, just over 15 minutes taken, in cold, wet, and windy conditions.

Hopefully will get out for 8 to 10k training run tomorrow morning, with a 10k road race penciled in for next weekend.

Advertisement