Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Going back to old albums

Options
  • 09-01-2012 3:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭

(Not necessarily albums that are old, just ones that are old to you...)

You know when you pick out something you used to be really into and haven't listened to in years? And you figure out that it's just as good as ever/even better than you remembered/awful.

Just did that today with Green Day's Nimrod, really good album. When I was a massive Green Day fan, I always thought of it as a bit different, their turning point from straight up pop-punky rock music towards more general music, less reliant on them being cheeky 'punk' guys. Love songs and everything :pac: I didn't like Warning as much, but Nimrod was always my favourite, and I still think it's great now.

(1997... Same year as OK Computer... Oh well :p )

What albums have you all done this with? And how did they sound?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭Sinfonia

Had a night recently enough where myself and some friends listened to the stuff we loved from about ten years ago, including (but not limited to!) Limp Bizkit, Korn, Slipknot, Coal Chamber and RATM. It was ****ing brilliant! It got Rage back into the regular rotation too..

I find sometimes that I forget about all the brilliant strutworthy rock music I always loved, and after listening to a lot of complex or intellectual music or whatever (or depressing - :P - indie) for a long stretch, it just feels great to crank some Nirvana/ACDC/Zeppelin etc.

In fact a good few years ago I was doing a lot of driving for my job, so I'd have music playing all day and after a while I found that I felt so despondent every day; what eventually gave me a serious lift was (don't ask me why I had it..) Justin Timberlake's first album - so everything has its place :pac:

For the record, Insomniac is Green Day's best with Dookie a very close second, although 'Hitchin' A Ride' is a beast of a song. Also I remember listening to 'Take Back' all the time because its brevity always allowed me to just about fit it onto my Thomson Lyra 64MB Mp3 player..!(Behold the majestic beast!)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,891 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

Nimrod happens to be my favourite Green Day album. Although I don't really listen to them that much anymore.

Anyway, a few weeks ago I listened to Nirvana for the first time in ages. They were my first favourite band so it obviously brought back a lot of memories and I have a strong sense of nostalgia attached to their music.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

I used to be into a lot of stuff like SOAD, Deftones, Sum 41, early Funeral For A Friend, Finch etc.

But one album that I lived in for months and months when I was 16/17 was this:

tumblr_lhwuxljwQ21qac1ul.jpg

I was an AFI fanatic for a few years after I heard this, up until they dropped the hugely underwhelming Decemberunderground. It's probably not their best album though, The Art Of Drowning and Black Sails In The Sunset are a bit better, but this album was my introduction to them. Eventually I grew out of them and stopped listening to them. During last summer however a few of us were drinking in my friend's apartment after a night out and one of us decided to stick on Sing The Sorrow for nostalgia's sake. It's not something I'd listen to these days but boy did it bring back a flood of great memories. It brought us right back to 2003, being in secondary school again and being the weird ones of our year.

The best moment of that night was drunkenly singing along to this:

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Can'tseeme

The missus got me The Smiths remastered boxset for Christmas. Great stuff going back through it again.

I recently have had Portishead - Dummy and Elastica's 1st album on in the car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Temaz

Not listened to Kid A in a few months so I'll give it a spin later on tonight.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Seren_

I was obsessed with My Chemical Romance and Fall Out Boy (amongst other such artists) when I was between the ages of 15 and 17. I'd listen to both bands now and again if I'm in the mood. Hard to bate the bit of teenage angst nostalgia.

With regards albums, Franz Ferdinand's debut is an album that I've turned to countless times when looking for something to listen to. I bought the album just after it came out, and it used to be played every morning before I went to school.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Matchbox 20 - Yourself or Someone like you.

As indie as you could get in 1997? 1996?.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

White Pony for me, played it non stop for months back when I was younger and there was just something hypnotic about it. Cannot think of a bad track on it.

Dug it out about 2 years ago after at least 5 years since I had listened to it and my first thought was did it always sound so out of tune?..yet the hypnotic sound was still there, and it was every bit as good as I remembered...probably been a year or so since I listened to it...might be time for another spin.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Colonel Kurtz

Stone Roses first album (not surprising really, after all the hype about the upcoming gigs this year).
    But it really is a gem of an album!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭Stompbox

Ah, you just can't beat the nostalgia effect. I was in New York the first time I began listening to 'Is This It?' and it was the perfect environment for that experience. Now, anytime I reach the chorus of 'Hard To Explain', I'm awash with the smells, sights and sounds of the city.

Been revisiting The Shins 'Oh, Inverted World' lately and that's just splendid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

Grace by Jeff Buckley is a good album which I've revisited but some of the tracks are terrible and one I just can't listen to anymore because it brings up associations with all the simpering "cover" cover versions of it. So Real is still an amazing track, Grace and Dream Brother are also brilliant, I like the haunting quality about it.

ATDI's Relationships of Command has really held up after all these years and is a classic. Suede's albums very much less so, ditto for Primal Scream's Screamadelica. I would attribute this partially to my radical shift in taste away from indie and towards harder rock/metal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

ATDI's Relationships of Command has really held up after all these years and is a classic.

Slightly off topic, but did you hear they've reformed! Hopefully we'll get to see them over this side. RoC is a great album though

My own nostalgia albums would be things like offsprings smash, reminds me of being a care free young lad spending my days trying to score as many Spanish students as possible, simpler times! Same goes for dookie (far superior to insomniac IMO). The recent SOAD thread forced a bit of a trip down memory lane too, great albums in there!

Its nice to throw these on and be reminded of a time when I liked music for the sheer fun of it and wasn't the music snob I've become :pac:

Advertisement