Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The problem with Kanji tattoos

Options
  • 09-01-2012 3:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭

OK so my opinion of kanji tattoos (Chinese/Japanese lettering) has never been particularly high. Often appears like something somebody picked from some random flash in a parlour (on holiday no doubt) that may not even translate to what they believe it to mean. This is a great generalisation I realise but it is a view which I'm sure I'm not alone in.

My particular problem is that I am about to get one. I am getting the symbol 'ten' on my back in a fashion similar to Akuma from the Street Fighter video game series. I am getting it for several reasons:
    1. I always wanted a large tattoo on my back rather than a few smaller ones
    2. I love SF in general and Akuma in particular
    3. I like the idea it comes from that it means sky or heaven and those who bore the symbol were believed to be immortals

I don't really mind if someone thinks any of my tattoos are naff or not but I do like them to all be a little different from the usual tattoos seen on people all too often. Anyway I've been chatting with the artist who is to do it and he says the glowing effect all in red might look a bit **** if he attempted to recreate it on a big tattoo on my back.
    So my question for the forum is have you got an interesting kanji tattoos that stand out from the usual and/or what could you recommend for a large one to make it look unique?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

The only reputable kanji tattoos I've seen are the ones that incorporate the actual brush strokes as that's where the art lies. Just not 'squiggles'. I'd recommend getting that style, of course it's up to you!

I'm with you on the "this is a name of a random person or my pet in a language I don't understand" on my <insert area of body>. I can't stand that............I should add 'personally'.

But your idea sounds good, well thought out and you've done the research.

Best of luck with it.

Advertisement