Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Convertible and NCT

Options
  • 09-01-2012 3:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭

I bought a nice e36 convertible over the weekend. More than 10 years old but with only 60k miles on the clock. Car was more stored than driven.
    I want to book NCT but have a question that I hope someone from convertible drivers may answer.

Soft top is in good condition but does not work automatically. It can be folded down manually if required but automatic doesn't work at the moment (fill fix that later) , and there are few cuts in back window permanently fixed with ducktape. The rest of the car is in "like new" condition.

The question is, will it pass the NCT (assumably the rest of car is ok) because of the soft top not operating automatically (as it should) and those cuts in back window?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭dharn

rear window visibility might be a fail if it has duct tape all over it, what about rollover bar or does it have one, perhaps if you brought it in with the hood down then you should have no problem

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭pcardin

If it does have rollover bar then it should be integrated into roof cage. Not visible anyway. E36 convertibles doesn't have the one like golf convertibles.

I actually found the back window in ebay and just bought it. It's replacable, zips in.

So the only question is if I drive in for test will they test the roof if it comes down or they do not really care?

I hope it is the case. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,630 ✭✭✭The Recliner

I have put a MX5 and an XK8 convertible through the NCT before and don't recall them taking the roof down

once you have that back window sorted you should be fine

• Registered Users Posts: 73,449 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

No reason for them to take the roof down.

• Advertisement

Thats good then. Bought a new back window last night off the ebay so that part will be sorted. :)

Advertisement