Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coopers IPA kit

Options
  • 09-01-2012 4:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

Have done a few kits in the past with varied results. Have a coopers selection IPA can which i plan to add 500g spray malt as per instructions. Now it says on the kit to also add 300g sugar/dextrose, the last few kits ive done have all had a really light mouthfeel and a kind of cidery aftertaste, which i assume is from the sugar (i used brewers sugar) So any suggestions on what else use instead of sugar? i have ordered some Cascade hop pellets which im going to dry hop with when i rack into the secondary.

Ive gotten a few brewing books for xmas, and plan on doing a mini-mash with a coopers DME can in the future, but i have this IPA can and theres no sense in wasting it! Im a fan of Brewdog and their IPAs well, most of their stuff really, love big hops and strong flavours.

Just wondering what i could add to make the most of this kit , beef it up a bit so to speak!

Thanks!

:cool:

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

sarahn11 wrote: »
    So any suggestions on what else use instead of sugar?
    More spraymalt. I'd go for the full kilo.
    Just wondering what i could add to make the most of this kit , beef it up a bit so to speak!
    You could make a hop tea and add that in.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭covey09

Just bottle this last night, Made a hop tea with progress and dry hopped with some Challenger. started at 0.1055 and finshed at 0.1005. looking forward to it. Drink the coppers pilsner and european larger and the pilsner is a cracker would be a lovely summer drink.

1kg of light DME
    300 Dex
    23 litres

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭sarahn11

BeerNut wrote: »
    You could make a hop tea and add that in.
    Cheers for that - i just watched the craigtube video where he hops the Coopers IPA :rolleyes:

Which leads me into another question, in that video, he only boils the hops for 8mins. Should/Could i boil for longer? what i mean is, would it utilise the hops more to maybe boil for different times? Like boiling say equal quantities for 60,45,30,15 mins? or would i be losing flavour? i have 1oz of cascade and 1oz of challenger, was going to use half oz of cascade to dry hop. From what ive heard the IPA has a good malt profile but its lacking that freshly hopped aroma.
    covey09 wrote: »
    Just bottle this last night, Made a hop tea with progress and dry hopped with some Challenger. started at 0.1055 and finshed at 0.1005. looking forward to it. Drink the coppers pilsner and european larger and the pilsner is a cracker would be a lovely summer drink.

1kg of light DME
    300 Dex
    23 litres

Would love to know how yours turned out! How did you go about making the tea? just a quick boil?

The longer you boil the less aroma you get. For the best fresh hop aroma, throw the hops in dry a week or so before bottling.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭covey09

Cheers for that - i just watched the craigtube video where he hops the Coopers IPA :rolleyes:

Which leads me into another question, in that video, he only boils the hops for 8mins. Should/Could i boil for longer? what i mean is, would it utilise the hops more to maybe boil for different times? Like boiling say equal quantities for 60,45,30,15 mins? or would i be losing flavour? i have 1oz of cascade and 1oz of challenger, was going to use half oz of cascade to dry hop. From what ive heard the IPA has a good malt profile but its lacking that freshly hopped aroma.

Would love to know how yours turned out! How did you go about making the tea? just a quick boil?

The Packet said to put in a cup of hot water for 10mins, but i had seen people activilley boling theirs on the hop so thats what i did for ten minutes. As far a i know the longer you boil the more of the alpha acid you release from the hops which adds a bittering, i just wanted to get the aromas from the hops, again i have'nt tasted it so it could still taste like Sh1t, but i will let you know

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭poitinstill

coopers ipa 1kg dme and 300g dextrose is a good call. then make hop tea AND dry hop. in 4-6 weeks you will have as good a b eer as a kit will give you

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭sarahn11

Cheers for the advice lads! Will make a hop tea and dry hop, have high hopes for this now :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

I just bottled this kit, it was in the fermenter for nearly 2 weeks and dry hopped it 5 days ago.

First time dry hopping and added 31g Cascade. Leaf hops in muslin bag floating on top. The taste from the fermented was quite overpowering grapefruit flavour. Did I overdo the dosage? And will this tone down with time in the bottle?

Yeah, it'll mellow out over time. Whether you overdid the dosage is a matter of taste, though ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

Excellent. I do love a hoppy ale and I've since found recommendations for 50g+ of dry hops so I should be fine!

• Advertisement
Advertisement