Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Were to buy chilli's and peppers etc...

Options
  • 09-01-2012 4:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭

Its tough to find a decent hot sauce in Ireland.

And even when you do find one its a very limited selection or they stop making/selling it.

You can go online but end up paying big time on p&p etc..

So bottom line is I've decided to attempt to make my own. I've looked up a few recipes and it really doesnt look that tough.

BUT as the title suggests.. where to buy chilli's and peppers etc...

I presume someones goin to say an asian food store.

I live out in Dublin 15 so need somewhere close that I can buy these.

Lookin for the likes of Habanero's etc.. without having to pay through the nose for them.

Aldi sells them in a little pack but they're expensive. Grand for cookin with but on a bigger scale for makin hot sauce just too expensive.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

Do you have any halal or Asian shops near you?
    I just did a Google search and there is definitely one in Dublin 15.

They really are the best place to go.
    I often get chillis at markets or Asian food shops. They have a big selection and are really cheap!

http://dublin.ratemyarea.com/places/asian-grocery-shop-22846
    http://bombaybazar.ie/store_info.php
    http://www.bharathirish.com/asianfoodstores.php

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

Ok so update on my hot sauce making.

Bombay Bazaar - Blanchardstwon
    Unit 2,
    Coolmine Industrial Estate,
    Clonsilla,
    Blanchardstwon,
    Dublin 15.
    Ph: 016405506

Went to the place above last night. They had Habaneros, birds eye chillis and Jalapenos.

I bought 10 habaneros and about the same of Jalapeno's. €1. Yes.. only €1. Unbelievable.

Anyway didnt have a chance to have a proper look about the shop cause I only got there before he closed but I'll definately be goin back that is if he doest go out of business for selling such stupidly cheap stuff.

Anyway so I made my first attempt at hot sauce.

Ingredients.

10 habaneros
    2 and half tablespoons of distelled vinegar
    2 and half tablespoons of water
    Bit of salt.
    1 and half teaspoons of brown sugar disolved in a small bit of boiling water.

Blended the lot together as finely as my blender would allow.

Then in a pan let the mixture simmer on a low heat for about 15/20mins till it had reduced a bit.

The result was quite good if I do say so myself. Hot stuff. For anyone who's tried a habanero hot sauce they know what I'm talkin about.

lookin forward to trying to make other ones.

Anyone any other tips, recipes or ideas etc to make it better?

niall_h wrote: »

I probably will try grow some this year but for everyday use they are so so so so cheap in the food stores that to be honest its not worth your while growing them.

I grow the likes of basil, rosemary and other herbs because they cost a fortune to buy but in the case of the peppers for the sake of €1 for a serious amount of them I dont think its worth growing them for more than just to say I have a few of my own crop if you know what I mean.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Curry Addict

coolmine industrial estate has at least 5 Asian food shops. my favorite is indus across from sam hire.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Martyn1989

Have you tried the Mic's chilli range?
    They are tastey with a good kick.

• Advertisement

Martyn1989 wrote: »
    Have you tried the Mic's chilli range?
    They are tastey with a good kick.

I havent. Where do you get it and how much does it cost?

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 517 ✭✭✭rich.d.berry

My only suggestion would be to chop the chilli and shallow fry for a few minutes, to enhance the flavour, then add them to the blender. Also pour in the leftover oil or return the mixture to the same pot or pan to simmer and reduce.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Cedrus

Ingredients.

10 habaneros
    2 and half tablespoons of distelled vinegar
    2 and half tablespoons of water
    Bit of salt.
    1 and half teaspoons of brown sugar disolved in a small bit of boiling water.

Blended the lot together as finely as my blender would allow.

Then in a pan let the mixture simmer on a low heat for about 15/20mins till it had reduced a bit.

The result was quite good if I do say so myself. Hot stuff. For anyone who's tried a habanero hot sauce they know what I'm talkin about.

lookin forward to trying to make other ones.

Anyone any other tips, recipes or ideas etc to make it better?

I would reduce the sugar a bit OR do away with the sugar and add a little veg (garlic, sweet peppers, tomato, courgette etc.), I think there is a need for a sweet balance, but not too much and it doesn't have to come from sugar.

I did a fridge clearance sauce the other night, Three 1/2 bags of wilting chillies, 1/2 bulb of garlic, squoodge of tom puree, pinch of salt and slug of vinegar, simmer in pan for 10-15 minutes. It came out a thick paste not too hot but lovely with a bit of meat or in a sambo.

I havent. Where do you get it and how much does it cost?

Cheers

Ive picked it up in Nolans in Clontarf, its an Irish company though so I presume its all over. Heres a link to a stockist list http://www.micschilli.ie/utilities/stockists.asp. I think its only a few euro for a little bottle.

I also just got a recommendation for this stuff http://walkerswood.com/product_traditional_jerk_seasoning.php which can apperently be gotten with relative ease here.

My only suggestion would be to chop the chilli and shallow fry for a few minutes, to enhance the flavour, then add them to the blender. Also pour in the leftover oil or return the mixture to the same pot or pan to simmer and reduce.

Will try that the next time. The flavour did come through though from the habanero's even with the vicious heat. Got to love that heat.
    Made some udon noodles (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Udon) last night with some onion and other veg with bit of soy and literally only half a teaspoon of the hot sauce and believe me that was enough heat.
    My favourite dish at the moment and its vegetarian.. what has the world come to!!! :eek:
    Cedrus wrote: »
    I would reduce the sugar a bit OR do away with the sugar and add a little veg (garlic, sweet peppers, tomato, courgette etc.), I think there is a need for a sweet balance, but not too much and it doesn't have to come from sugar.

I did a fridge clearance sauce the other night, Three 1/2 bags of wilting chillies, 1/2 bulb of garlic, squoodge of tom puree, pinch of salt and slug of vinegar, simmer in pan for 10-15 minutes. It came out a thick paste not too hot but lovely with a bit of meat or in a sambo.

Yeah was goin to add veg originally but wanted to see how it would turn out on its own first but your right definately gonna add in some/all of what you've mentioned. Sweet peppers in particular I think is a good call.

I like the sound of the sauce you made. Would be nice on a sambo I'd say.
    Ive picked it up in Nolans in Clontarf, its an Irish company though so I presume its all over. Heres a link to a stockist list http://www.micschilli.ie/utilities/stockists.asp. I think its only a few euro for a little bottle.

I also just got a recommendation for this stuff http://walkerswood.com/product_traditional_jerk_seasoning.php which can apperently be gotten with relative ease here.

I'll try pick some of this up the next time I'm at one of the stockist's.

That said to be honest after makin my own I dont think I'll bother to go out of my way to buy it.

If I come across it fair enough but to be fair judgin by my first attempt its not that difficult to get right and its home made which is always good. :D

• Advertisement

That said to be honest after makin my own I dont think I'll bother to go out of my way to buy it.

If I come across it fair enough but to be fair judgin by my first attempt its not that difficult to get right and its home made which is always good. :D

Yeh I hadn't read the rest of the thread, if your gettin your chillis that cheap and have a good recipe theres no point paying for a fancy label. Id still recommend this sauce for the flavour.

How long do you reckon the homemade hotsauce will last? On the bottle of mics I bought a few months ago its got a date of april 2013, and on a bottle of Blairs after death hotsauce (habanero, chipotle and cayenne) they havnt even dated it.
    Id imagine a hotsauce would last though?

Yeh I hadn't read the rest of the thread, if your gettin your chillis that cheap and have a good recipe theres no point paying for a fancy label. Id still recommend this sauce for the flavour.

How long do you reckon the homemade hotsauce will last? On the bottle of mics I bought a few months ago its got a date of april 2013, and on a bottle of Blairs after death hotsauce (habanero, chipotle and cayenne) they havnt even dated it.
    Id imagine a hotsauce would last though?

Good question on longevity. I was thinking approx 6-8 weeks as there's no preservatives etc. That said I don't really know.

Anyone care to field that one?

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭jimfinoc

I have forgoten where on the web I got this but I useit all the time and think it's good.

Northern Curry Sauce or Kadhai Sauce

4 Tablespoons sunflower oil or veg oil
    675g (11/2lbs) onions, roughly chopped
    55g (2oz) fresh root ginger roughly chopped
    13-14 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
    2 teaspoons salt
    2 teaspoons sugar
    1 ½ tablespoons coriander seeds
    4-5 dried red chills, long slim variety, chopped
    400g can chopped tomatoes
    1 tablespoon paprika
    1 teaspoon ground turmeric
    900ml warm water
    2 teaspoons dried fenugreek leaves
    Heat the oil in a saucepan over med heat. Fry the onions, ginger and garlic for 5-6 min and then add salt and sugar. Cook for a further 4-5 min, stirring regularly.
    Coarsely grind the coriander seeds and chillies in a coffee grinder- they do not have to be fine- then add them to the pan and cook for 2 min.. Stir in the tomatoes, with their juice, paprika, turmeric and water. Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat and simmer, uncovered for 30-35 min.
    Puree the sauce in a blender and return it to the saucepan. Stir in the fenugreek leaves and simmer for 5 min. Leave to cool compleatly. Store in an airtight container in the fridge or freezer.
    Makes 1.5 ltr. Or 3 500g tubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Cedrus

Good question on longevity. I was thinking approx 6-8 weeks as there's no preservatives etc. That said I don't really know.

Anyone care to field that one?
    I've not figured out anything definitive, salt and/or vinegar are traditional preservatives but only when used in fairly overpowering proportions. I've tried deriving times from chutney and jam recipes, but they're not really the same thing because of all the sugar in them. I have wondered how effective ginger and garlic would be as preservatives?
    So far, I think the best trick is to choose appropriate sized containers (as much as you'll use before it goes off), sterilise them, fill them while the sauce is hot and close tightly so that when they cool the caps will be drawn tight, OR Freeze what you won't use in a few days.

Advertisement