Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help please - DELL laptop problem

Options
  • 09-01-2012 5:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭

Hey folks, I hope someone out there can help us please?

My son has a DELL Studio 15 laptop which he bought in October 2010 and which now won't switch on for him.

He suspects that it is a problem with the power on button. There is also a little play with the hinges but that is hardly likely to affect the switching on of the laptop, surely?

Anyway, he spoke with a girl from Dell last weeek who said that the power switch part replacement would be about €88 and that for a guy to come out and fix it would be another €120 or so making it €208 in total.

Now €208 is bad enough but he was willing to pay it just to have his laptop back in operation again and the guy in Dell who he spoke to this afternoon says that "uhhh dunno could be a motherboard prob too maybe and that it would cost €526.00 to fix !!!!!

Are they for real? :mad:

We only bought the thing a little over a year ago. My son is in his final year at College and has all of his stuff saved onto the laptop but really needs to have it up and running again.

Can anyone please recommend a repair person who would replace the part for something sensible?

I appreciate any help you could provide,

Thanks,
    A.P.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭duckysauce

ph them back and ask how much it is to buy one years warranty for it . You could get a good price off them, and then get it fixed

• Registered Users Posts: 12,535 ✭✭✭✭Varik

duckysauce wrote: »
    ph them back and ask how much it is to buy one years warranty for it . You could get a good price off them, and then get it fixed

Dell offered this to me for a 4 year old laptop now 5 (xps m1710) after the graphics card died, they were asking for £400 for a new one but then offered a new warranty for around £100 after some arguing.

Unless you've damaged it then warranty or not it should last longer than that (in your chance definitely but i was pushing it a bit), i argued some more and got it repaired free. Go onto the consumer forum and you'll find every law and argument to use.

Almost wishing it didn't get it fix as it would have been an excuse to get rid of the thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭A.Partridge

Thanks everyone for your replies.

I think I will try and get back on to them to see if they will sell the guarantee.

I'll let you know how I get on.

Thanks.

Advertisement