Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stop voting for these imbeciles

• 09-01-2012 5:15pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭

The tweet:

Niall-Collins.jpg

The story.
    Good news: Limerick not wiped off the map

GOOGLE HAS SAID that Limerick is on its Earth and Map software despite a claim from a Limerick TD that it was not.

Fianna Fáil’s Niall Collins said he had contacted Google Ireland’s chief executive John Herlihy after he had heard it mentioned on local station Live 95fm this morning that the area was not on the map.

Collins believed such news was damaging to the area’s tourism and local economic development. He tweeted about the issue this morning, describing the news as “shocking”:

He later issued a press release on the matter through the Fianna Fáil press office.
    In the statement, he said:
    "We in Limerick are competing with other regions for both domestic and foreign investment, and our absence from such a significant online resource is damaging. Google have indicated to me that they are working to rectify the problem."

However, Google has told TheJournal.ie that Collins was “incorrect on the issue” and that while Limerick may not be on every zoom level of the map, this is being rectified. A statement said:
    "Limerick is very much on the map, available on Google Maps, Google Earth and also in Street View. We are always open to feedback and looking to improve the data in all zoom levels of Google Maps."

A reader has pointed out that Limerick is not visible on some scales of Google Maps where it would be expected to appear:

Contacted by TheJournal.ie this afternoon, Collins said he had contacted Herlihy, whom he knows, about the issue. But when told that Google had said Limerick was on its software all along, he said he had only heard it being talked about on local radio after which he decided to take action.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

Fianna Fail you say, imbeciles you say, shocked I am, shocked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

As I said on the Limerick Post thingy what thinks he has the right to contact the head of Google in Ireland and ask him about it.

Limerick was getting updated mapping the other day. Newport definately got it because my house is now visible so maybe Limerick was gone off it for some part of the day.

Talk about jumping past your remit as a publically elected official.

Surely he could have found something else to be doing. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Even funnier was the fact he got the information after listening to Live95fm.

Anyone that takes what get said on that morning show as fact needs a head check. Truly radio for the thick.

Kess73 wrote: »
    Even funnier was the fact he got the information after listening to Live95fm.

Sure isn't one of their old clips of a woman saying "Sur' I hear everything I need to hear on 95fm". :D

Beer Baron wrote: »
    Sure isn't one of their old clips of a woman saying "Sur' I hear everything I need to hear on 95fm". :D

I love those "moi name is X fram Y, and oi lissen to Live nointy foive eff em" snippets :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

The point raised was that at top level zoom it's not there, yet Shannon, Ennis, Tipperary and other provincial towns are included. I was listening to it this morning on the radio (for my sins - I didn't pick the channel).

I thought "storm in a teacup" but it is a vaild point when MNC are comparing size of popolation it would follow that bigger populations will be represented on the map at all leves.

The Journal.ie has a screengrab to prove the point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,635 ✭✭✭xsiborg

ninty9er wrote: »
    The point raised was that at top level zoom it's not there, yet Shannon, Ennis, Tipperary and other provincial towns are included. I was listening to it this morning on the radio (for my sins - I didn't pick the channel).

I thought "storm in a teacup" but it is a vaild point when MNC are comparing size of popolation it would follow that bigger populations will be represented on the map at all leves.

The Journal.ie has a screengrab to prove the point.

please, stop! MNC's using google maps to determine feasible investment locations? so THATS why there's no M&S in limerick, they checked google maps and its not there! :D

thats almost as good as the 'spanner in the sky' pic in the cool pics and vids forum, except the only spanner in this case... well, i suppose he has his head in the clouds too! :|

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭gaf1983

Did he actively go looking for publicity on this issue or did he simply tweet it to his 140-odd followers? Also, he says he knows one of the head honchos in Google, so it seems natural enough that he'd give your man a call.

The fact is, on this scaled version of the map, Limerick is missing, while smaller towns are included:

Limerick-missing.jpg

While I don't really think multi-national companies would be put off investing because of one scaled version of a map (I'd like to think they do a bit more homework about where they invest rather than a glance at Google maps), I do think Limerick could suffer from a tourism point of view - it has to compete in the popularity stakes internationally with Dublin, Cork and Galway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

What a bloody dope...

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭jmch81

I noticed this a few weeks ago, I should of gotten on to Google and complained, I failed in my duty to Limerick, sorry all.

Not to be out done, our quote a day mayor is in the paper again (365 day quote calendar available next year). I quite like the comment by someone called Paddymog after the article:

http://www.limerickleader.ie/news/limerick_drops_to_44th_litter_league_1_3401305

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,635 ✭✭✭xsiborg

what is it with Fianna Fail TD's and their sense of inflated self-importance?

since ninety9er mentioned MNC's then, this is almost on the same "fail scale" as Willie O Dea junketing off to Texas thinking Michael Dell was going to give him any sort of a hearing!

seriously, a temporary glitch on google maps and this idiot is all over it like a boss, limerick is decimated by unemployment and his biggest worry is to take to twitter to announce he has discovered the problem- limerick has temporarily disappeared from google, but it's ok, he's been onto google and we'll resume full employment status momentarily... :rolleyes:

and then he wonders why he failed to rate in the last general elections! :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,339 ✭✭✭✭phog

A blunder but he's hardly the first to react to a headline without checking out the full story.

jmch81 wrote: »
    I noticed this a few weeks ago, I should of gotten on to Google and complained, I failed in my duty to Limerick, sorry all.

Not to be out done, our quote a day mayor is in the paper again (365 day quote calendar available next year). I quite like the comment by someone called Paddymog after the article:http://www.limerickleader.ie/news/limerick_drops_to_44th_litter_league_1_3401305

Was there not one of our brilliant representatives (possibly the current mayor) using the previous report as some kind of proof that the city was doing well on the litter front?

xsiborg wrote: »
    what is it with Fianna Fail TD's and their sense of inflated self-importance?

Should have seen the 6 one news earlier with Michael Martin down with a show of solidarity with the Vita Cortex staff. If the shoe was on the other foot he would pretend they didn't exist. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,339 ✭✭✭✭phog

Beer Baron wrote: »
    Should have seen the 6 one news earlier with Michael Martin down with a show of solidarity with the Vita Cortex staff. If the shoe was on the other foot he would pretend they didn't exist. :rolleyes:

If the shoe was on the other foot it would be Simon Coveney that would be there, that's politics.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Bicycle

I'm amazed that nobody has commented on the picture of Bunratty Castle located in the grounds of Villiers School..... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭TheEntertainer

SO Mr Collins thinks that Limerick is missing from Google maps? Did anyone tell him about street view where he can actually walk around every street in Limerick on the software? I live in the middle of the country 5 miles outside Limerick and I even have street view. In fact the day the van went down the road, 2 of my neighbours were outside looking well spaced out ha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭peckerhead

Fixed now.

Limerick.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

In my opinion this example of Niall Collin's politics can not be looked at outside of the bigger picture which must include his annual salary and the substancial additional expenses he claims each year.

- In other words, who would ever bother to care what the local Village Idiot says - unless he has both hands in your, the Taxpayers wallet.

€40,000+ is what Slick Collins cashed in on last year, this is before he gets paid a cent of his actual annual wage - Its staggering :mad:

http://cityvoice.ie/?p=454

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭SisterAnn

Junior Cert Business question for the 2012 paper:

You are an entrepreneur with cash reserves and a working business that manufactures X. The people of Uzbekistan have a significant proportion of their workforce skilled in making X. Labour is relatively inexpensive in Uzbekistan. You decide that it might be a good idea to locate a new factory there. Do you:

a) Open up the country in Google Maps at high-level zoom and choose one of the displayed locations.
    b) Travel to the country and research suitable locations on the ground, examining the main population centres and the appropriateness of the local infrastructure to your enterprise.
    c) Write a strongly worded letter of complaint to a media organ and head down to the restaurant with your secretary for a fully-expensed lunch.
    (40 marks)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭dave 27

Just heard this on 95fm last night and checked there, limerick is totally inexistant until you zoom right in! not the greatest for economic development considering they have castleisland, listowel, and other tiny towns in there!

http://www.live95fm.ie/news/news-item/google-promises-to-put-limerick-on-the-map/1f1b18fb-465f-4156-8f81-1f6c4e56eebd

they now promise to put it on the map..how was every town excluded apart from annacotty?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭The Snipe

Been posted already :P Old news, Could IO/Drifter Combine the threads please, to stop it being cluttered :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,002 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Threads merged

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

sure North Korea isnt on google maps either, and North Korea is best Korea.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Tockman

Limerick back on google maps:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

dave 27 wrote: »
    not the greatest for economic development considering they have castleisland, listowel, and other tiny towns in there!

Seriously pisses me off that everything in this country has to be justified for 'economic development'. Limerick should be on the map because its a significant part of the geography of this country, and is one of the largest cities. 'Foreign investment' should have feck all to do with it in my opinion.

Advertisement