Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

England v The UK/Britain

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Why would Ireland be brimming with English culture?

Influenced by British culture might be nearer the mark (subtle difference).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

But there be funny people in clogs, or thick in the head, and not to mention the leek and thistle eaters
    next time you are in leaning against a bar drinking half a lagar with some [limp wrist] friend and a dart flies passed your ear,thats english culture, trust the man working in clogs,dont trust the man working in the bank,[new english saying]

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭londonbus

Don't see any issue in having multiple identities.

I'm as English as they come. I'm British too. And I have an Irish passport and a UK one.

I'm legally but not culturally Irish; but am dead proud of the Irish side of my family.

Rugby - who do I support in an England v Ireland match?

Easy... whichever team is losing...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

getz wrote: »
    next time you are in leaning against a bar drinking half a lagar with some [limp wrist] friend and a dart flies passed your ear,thats english culture, trust the man working in clogs,dont trust the man working in the bank,[new english saying]

One saucer of milk coming up ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭LifeBeginsAt40

UK passport, born in England. Am proud to be English, my father is proud to be Scottish and my Grandfather was German with a Jewish mother!
    It does irk me when some of the Irish national TV and radio stations refer to the 'English Queen', but I put that down to lazy journalism and nothing more sinister.

I'm proud of my country of birth but am also proud of the fact that 99.99% of the people I meet on a daily basis here in Ireland are very warm and welcoming and I would expect nothing less when any of you visit the UK (all of it!).
    I must admit to using the term 'flying home to see the folks in the UK' but that is probably more due to sloppy talking as it takes less time to say.

You can be misinformed and judgemental with any passport!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 630 ✭✭✭bwatson

That's a pretty grim prospect...:)

I have been living in 'England' for the past few years. There is no such thing as English culture.

As for the 'working class', well if you regard, Sun reading, Carling drinking obese boorish jingoistic insular yobs as the pinacle of English culture..well you may be right!

England has no culture, really? :eek: I've been living in England on and off for three years and have enjoyed so much that it as a land has to offer. It has a way of life, history and character as distinctive as that of Ireland, Scotland, France, Spain or any nation for that matter.

If you have lived in England for a few years and have yet to experience the wonders that it has to offer then I pity you! Maybe a visit to the sites of English Heritage or the National Trust would be a good starting point?

Shakespeare, Chaucer, Austen, Dickens, English folklore, traditional sport, country pubs, architecture, landscapes etc do not resonate with you at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭youreadthis

Don't worry, when ever someone is stupid enough to say England has no culture, it either means they're trolling, or if serious, are so used to England and in tune with it that they don't notice...

So troll or closet west Brit. What a choice ;)

Advertisement