Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Joining a Tri Club as a novice - The Fear

Options
  • 09-01-2012 5:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭

Hi folks

First post here for a long time. Apologies if it's a bit of a ramble!

I'm seriously considering joining a tri-club this year, as I think I need the structure of group training in order to actually do any training. I've been putting it off for years, but having done the Brownlee Challenge in October, I think it's something I want to actually give a bit more time to. (I had done no training whatsoever for the duathlon and it showed, but I just wanted to finish it at the time :))

Anywho, other than playing rugby for the past few years and doing bootcamp fitness classes for the past few months I haven't done any real endurance training, so I'm terrified of joining a tri-club in case I make a fool of myself.

How patient are clubs to complete beginners?

I can happily cycle 50km without difficulty and was a club swimmer for most of my teens, so reckon it's just a matter of building up fitness there and learning any tri specific stuff.

It's the distance running that holds most of the worry for me. Should I build up the mileage myself before I consider joining a club, or are there likely to be others in the same boat as myself?

I'm based in North Kildare and I don't drive, so having had a look at various clubs the easiest for me to get to using public transport are Piranha or 3D, but if there are other clubs that maybe have more beginners, or that I should to take a look at I'd be grateful for any advice!

I'm worried about spending money joining a club and then finding myself out of my depth and being put off.

Cheers!

Amz

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

I also had the fear when I decided to join a club. Pretty much same background as you with the rugby too but you have the advantage with the swim background. I pretty much stopped swimming at 11.

I looked for the club that fitted best with when I could train and I went along to a swim to see what it was like and found that I was the slowest there. But I got talking to a few others and more importantly enjoyed the swim session. That was 6-7 months ago but I've stuck at it and am probably around a middle of the pack swimmer now.

Last season I still mainly ran and biked by myself as I still think that I'm pretty slow and am worried of holding others up. In general though when I have gone out with others no-one has ever complained about my speed and I have never been worried about waiting for others either. If people are wanting to do long bikes at speed they are usually training by themselves or with a cycling club. If you are the slowest cyclist or runner though then surely that's not a bad thing as everyone is a target for you to catch.

I'd say just go for it and join a club. You'll enjoy the group training and I mean, what's the worst that could happen?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭Colonialboy

A few random thoughts..
    theres nothing for you to worry about,
    you can do tri's without being member of a club, but if you think it helps then join up one , dont be putting it off.
    they wont laugh and you wont look a fool, most clubs have people of all levels, look at the results and times of people that are club members in some events.
    If people do say anthing , most times its just a bit of banter, teasing conversation.

Triathlons arent as hard as you think, they are great fun, an achievement.
    All the talk , fancy gear and equipment and technical talk of some people who do tris would make ou think they were the hardest thing in the world.
    Ive a friend was totally psyched out before his first tri, was worried he might need an ambulance, not finish, come crawling home, the guy finished just off the elites, and 18 months later is near top twenty in nationals.

With your mixed backround you will be fine. If you think your swim is strong and your bike ok, then you could join a running club just to sort out your run, improve overall fitness and this will improve bike and swim also.

Clubs are partly for social aspects also, they dont always train together, alot of club members may train alone.

And dont be using public transport to get to your club events, thats the chance for a bike ride :-)

best of luck, seriously nothing to worry about. Just do it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

The hardest part of joining any club is going to the first session. Everyone in a club has been there. Everyone thinks they'll be out of their depth when it's not really the case. Clubs have all different levels. We probably have members from every club on here, if there's any club in particular you're interested in joining ask about it and then you can pm or chat to someone who is already a member and can give you an idea of what sort of level of athlete turns up to particular sessions.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Amz wrote: »
    Hi folks

First post here for a long time. Apologies if it's a bit of a ramble!

I'm seriously considering joining a tri-club this year, as I think I need the structure of group training in order to actually do any training. I've been putting it off for years, but having done the Brownlee Challenge in October, I think it's something I want to actually give a bit more time to. (I had done no training whatsoever for the duathlon and it showed, but I just wanted to finish it at the time :))

Anywho, other than playing rugby for the past few years and doing bootcamp fitness classes for the past few months I haven't done any real endurance training, so I'm terrified of joining a tri-club in case I make a fool of myself.

How patient are clubs to complete beginners?

I can happily cycle 50km without difficulty and was a club swimmer for most of my teens, so reckon it's just a matter of building up fitness there and learning any tri specific stuff.

It's the distance running that holds most of the worry for me. Should I build up the mileage myself before I consider joining a club, or are there likely to be others in the same boat as myself?

I'm based in North Kildare and I don't drive, so having had a look at various clubs the easiest for me to get to using public transport are Piranha or 3D, but if there are other clubs that maybe have more beginners, or that I should to take a look at I'd be grateful for any advice!

I'm worried about spending money joining a club and then finding myself out of my depth and being put off.

Cheers!

Amz

Some are not patient and are known to drop newbies on climbs in Wicklow and ride on without them.

That being said Piranha and 3dtri are patient well organised outfits!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

tunney wrote: »
    Some are not patient and are known to drop newbies on climbs in Wicklow and ride on without them.

Not a nice feeling at all...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

My first 3D tri swim session was a little over 2 years ago, and I could barely swim 4 consecutive lengths of the pool. Likewise, my first bike spin with them, I turned up in runners and shorts I would have worn playing football (and nothing else ;)). I'm still a member two years on, so I would definitely recommend them. There are a range of levels at the swim sessions, particularly the Thursday session, and you would get plenty of assistance there no matter your level. Most Sundays there is a longer and shorter distance bike spin, and if you can manage 50km solo, you would have had no problems with the 50k group yesterday, and in any case, nobody gets left behind. The club running sessions are based on loops of the polo grounds in the parkThe stronger people will do more than others so you certainly wouldnt be making a fool of yourself.

I know most clubs would be very beginner friendly. If you want to know more about 3D then I'm all ears...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Chartsengrafs

+1 on 3D. I went on two spins with them last winter but for various reasons couldn't commit at the time. I am now in a cycling club (training for the other two parts myself).

I was not a novice by any means but the patience shown to anyone without many miles in their legs was fantastic. Very encouraging atmosphere and a friendly bunch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭airscotty

Not wicklow tri club tho:cool: they are very beginner friendly...I think 40 people newly signed up this year.

Thats another thing to note...with triathlon growing so fast you'll probably find that most clubs have a lot of new members anyway so you wont be the only one:D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭Amz

Thanks for all of the replies so far!

Figured January would be a time that clubs would get a lot of newbies, with new year resolutions etc.

Think 3D is easiest club for me to getting to for training sessions. They seem to be getting pretty positive reviews too, which helps with the fear :)

Guess it's just a matter of getting myself psyched up and actually going to a session.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭airscotty

Guess it's just a matter of getting myself psyched up and actually going to a session.

You'll be hooked in no time...enjoy!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

airscotty wrote: »
    Not wicklow tri club tho:cool: they are very beginner friendly...I think 40 people newly signed up this year.

Thats another thing to note...with triathlon growing so fast you'll probably find that most clubs have a lot of new members anyway so you wont be the only one:D

Are a good crowd too alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭jester1980

I know how you feel Amz. Have been putting off joining one for similar reasons but yesterday i just decided to go for it and joined a tri club and start running with them tomorrow night. Dead nervous but like above posters say everyone is probbaly nervous the first time.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Every club has a few uber fast guys. But most clubs have a good mix of abilities from elite to plodder. Some join to compete, some join for the social aspect of the club. So dont feel that youll be down the bottom of the ranks or anything. Once you get to know a few faces and get to a few training sessions youll enjoy it.

I dont train much with my club, apart from swim sessions and the odd turbo, but I still get a lot from it. There are people to call on for help when you need it, and to yak to about triathlon instead of boring your regular friends silly with it. Its great at races too, having the backup of the other club members there.

jester1980 wrote: »
    I know how you feel Amz. Have been putting off joining one for similar reasons but yesterday i just decided to go for it and joined a tri club and start running with them tomorrow night. Dead nervous but like above posters say everyone is probbaly nervous the first time.
    G'luck with it!

If I can find my way into Belvedere pool, I hope to give the swimming session with 3D a try tomorrow.

If I don't make it back, thanks for all of the advice! :)

G'luck with it!

If I can find my way into Belvedere pool, I hope to give the swimming session with 3D a try tomorrow.

If I don't make it back, thanks for all of the advice! :)

Hope you can't find Belvo tomorrow. Swim training is on Thursday...

D'oh ... Moving along!

Forgot it was only Tuesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭911sc

You may as well be more specific, so that club(s) in question can respond.?

Survived first swim session, going to do some running on my own for a while, to build up fitness.

But I'm now a member of a tri club.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

Well done amz I was in the same position as you in October. I was terrified of joining the club but it's the best thing I ever did. Its helped me out so much and I've made a group of lovely new friends too.

Survived first swim session, going to do some running on my own for a while, to build up fitness.

But I'm now a member of a tri club.

Great to hear it Amz. You'll have to sign up for Courtown now. It's a great weekend and a sure way to meet loads of club members. And don't be fazed by the distances. It's very manageable and the beginner spin will be very leisurely paced.

• Advertisement

Cool, thinkin' about it alright. Wasn't sure if I was too late.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

My advice would be to go to club runs now. No better way to build fitness than to be chasing someone.

Cool, thinkin' about it alright. Wasn't sure if I was too late.

Deadline for payment is 24 Feb so I think you have until then to sign up. I would defo recommend.
    My advice would be to go to club runs now. No better way to build fitness than to be chasing someone.

I would also agree with this. You'll most likely surprise yourself as well.

Yeah, I know you're both right, the swimming wasn't nearly as horrendous as I expected considering it's been so long since I've been in a pool. I guess I'll have to suck it up and head along next week.
    Deadline for payment is 24 Feb so I think you have until then to sign up. I would defo recommend.
    Okay, guess I've no excuse so :)

Joined my club last week as well AMZ, really enjoyed it, it was a run session. What club did you join?

Glad to hear it went well!

I've joined 3D in Dublin.

And yourself?

Joined Fingal, only up the raod from me so suited, allt he best with it.

Yeah, 3D was easiest for me to get to :)

Good luck with it too! Hopefully we'll be exchanging war stories in no time!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Diamondmaker

Im joining up with one this week, I have done 2 sprints and I hung around their tent at them as I already knew a few of them as I have a mate already there.

Just as everyone says there are huge variances in levels and you will very likley find you are not the slowest over all and also of course the beauty is there is 3 disciplines and you will find you are pretty good at one or the other and you will get confidence from that.

If it turns out everyone is a douche well leave cos Im sure some clubs maybe that way or maybe you are the douche HA HA :) ( pure tongue in cheek ! )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭crank_1975

I'm also thinking of joining a club this year - I would be looking at Tri an Mhi, anyone have any experiences with them?

Advertisement