Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Joining a Tri Club as a novice - The Fear

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

crank_1975 wrote: »
    I'm also thinking of joining a club this year - I would be looking at Tri an Mhi, anyone have any experiences with them?

They always look well turned out at races but that's a s much as I could tell you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,811 ✭✭✭griffin100

I'm also thinking of joining a club this year - I would be looking at Tri an Mhi, anyone have any experiences with them?

They always run / organise a good race:)

I've chatted to a few of them at races and they seem like a nice bunch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭roseybear

in the dublin 7/15 area, best clubs to join? have seen that group down at the polo grounds before, as i am part of an athletics club and train there too, but other than that i'm pretty much in the dark, except that i know theres a club in clontarf...

also, any advice on bikes? would like one that i could use to get me to and from work but also for training and maybe racing.. will see how things go before i commit to that

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭calistro

griffin100 wrote: »
    They always run / organise a good race:)

I've chatted to a few of them at races and they seem like a nice bunch.

+1 on above. Joined them last year, a lot of experience between the members. Have joined up with VTCC in Virginia Co. Cavan this year, new club but their training schedules & proximity to my homeplace swung it.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭onimpulse

roseybear wrote: »
    in the dublin 7/15 area, best clubs to join? have seen that group down at the polo grounds before, as i am part of an athletics club and train there too, but other than that i'm pretty much in the dark, except that i know theres a club in clontarf...

also, any advice on bikes? would like one that i could use to get me to and from work but also for training and maybe racing.. will see how things go before i commit to that

If your in D7/15 - 3D is probably the nearest club to you. Have a look at www.3dtri.com for info on training etc - you'll see it's all based around the Phoenix park / Belevedere pool/ NAC. That's most likely the club you see at the polo grounds.

This is a good time to join a club and most incl 3D allow you go along to a few of the training sessions before you join so you can decide if you want to join or not. It's a good way to get a feel for a club - the vast majority are very friendly & welcoming to new members.

As for a bike - you don't need a fancy bike for triathlon. Get a decent road bike & it'll do you for commuting/ training/ racing until you decide if it's worth splashing out on an upgrade for races but lots of people never do. Most people would still keep the old one for commuting / winter training anyway if the do get a nice racing bike later.

• Advertisement
Advertisement