Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do I need to register modules as electives?

Options
  • 09-01-2012 5:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

Hi there

I am in 3rd year arts joint major.

I was looking at my SIS registration and it has on it that for stage 2 you need 100 credits core/option and 20 elective credits. I have always done modules from my two subject areas and have always registered for them via the core/option screen on SIS.

Should I have some modules registered as electives?

Do I need 20 credits registered in this way???

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

larry low wrote: »
    Hi there

I am in 3rd year arts joint major.

I was looking at my SIS registration and it has on it that for stage 2 you need 100 credits core/option and 20 elective credits. I have always done modules from my two subject areas and have always registered for them via the core/option screen on SIS.

Should I have some modules registered as electives?

Do I need 20 credits registered in this way???

Any help would be greatly appreciated

The simple answer is no, despite what the SIS system would have you believe. As long as you have enough credits from cores and options you do not actually need to do electives. 120 credits from options/cores is the same as 100 from options/cores with 20 from electives for credit purposes.

I got that from my program office.

• Registered Users Posts: 775 ✭✭✭Musefan

Asked the program office about this once. They asked that I register my 20 credits to electives rather than extra option modules (but I didn't HAVE to) as it was an "issue of fairness"...my reasoning led me to keep registered to the option modules, as the system allowed me to do it, ergo, if they know it is an issue of fairness, they should remedy it and it's not our fault. So nope, you don't need to take electives.

Advertisement