Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running with the birds or for the birds?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Marthastew

Never fear I'll always be a runner. Sure my goal race for the year is a half marathon. :D The triathlete boys are way better looking than runners though, so they might keep me sucked in. :pac:
    Pfft... It's all St Tropez fake tan and shaved legs. Bloody multi-sport metrosexuals.

From my brief stint in Triathlons I do recall the boys being beefier;) I can just never get past those triathlon suits.... the day Mr Stew puts one of those on our marriage is over, he's bad enough in lycra leggings:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Pfft... It's all St Tropez fake tan and shaved legs. Bloody multi-sport metrosexuals.

Hi KC!! :) You ready for your big duathlon this weekend??

Dory Dory wrote: »
    Hi KC!! :) You ready for your big duathlon this weekend??

He just needs to finish applying the St. Tropez and he'll be ready for the duathlon;)

Hope the injury is on the mend KC:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

So did you see Rosanna during the race yesterday?, because according to the results, she was just behind you :D

menoscemo wrote: »
    So did you see Rosanna during the race yesterday?, because according to the results, she was just behind you :D

Funnily enough I didn't see her at all;)
    I did think she looked way too fresh in the photos in the paper yesterday and now we know why.

• Advertisement

Tuesday June 5th
    45 minute lower body class
    45 minute Pilates class
    Recovery run 5.18 miles avg pace 9.16
    I could feel the 10K in my legs a little when I got up in the morning but after the class and Pilates I felt great. Took it easy on the recovery run

Wednesday May 6th
    Medium Long Run; 15.45 miles avg pace 9.06
    The plan only called for 12 miles but I decided to run into town to catch a glimpse of the Olympic Torch on its tour of Dublin.
    I arrived into Merrion Square where Ronnie Delaney was waiting (obviously not for me, for the flame;)) He was so sweet, walking up to everyone shaking hands, posing for photos, I noticed his torch wasn’t yet lit so I kept running, got to Ruby Walsh who was also waiting so I kept going and arrived just in time to see the Trinity student catch the flame. The security looked quite fetching in their Olympic T-shirt and shorts sets and one of them even cracked a smile at me. I followed the flame back up again to Merrion Square and watched Ronnie take it into the Government buildings.
    Then I headed back home full of the joys of life, a great way to spend a sunny morning.

Thursday May 7th
    90 minute Hot Yoga
    Recovery run 5.68 miles avg pace 8.57
    Definitely no sunshine today so I decided to go to a much needed yoga class, my hips have been very tight and I haven’t been for two weeks so I was sort of dreading the class, it was surprisingly great fun. It was the really nice instructor who is so calm and he puts us all at ease so you don’t feel like you’re really working at all and then you look in the mirror and it’s you in a pose you never thought you could do:)
    I bounced out of the class feeling much stronger and not even the torrential rain could dampen my spirits.
    I’ve a 16 mile LSR with 8 miles at MP tomorrow so I headed to the hills in Killiney for a recovery run; I was actually running in the mist when I was at the top, I told Mr Stew this when he came home (convincing him he had no excuse not to head out for his run) and he said “Ah, yes…. Instead of Gorillas in the mist, it was you in the mist”, charming:D

Friday June 8th
    LSR; 8.87 miles @ 9.12 pace followed by 8.03 miles @ 7.45 pace
    45 Minute body pump class

Plan called for 16 miles with 8 at MP, I know I should have done the miles in the middle of the run but I tend to speed up at the end of my runs so I thought I’d do it at the end instead. I choose the hills of killiney for the warm up miles as I knew this would keep the pace down. Nice and easy for the first four and a bit miles with the wind at my back but when I turned around…. The wind was so strong and the rain was beating into my face:( I’ve had better runs…
    On the tough uphill mile my pace was only 9.45:eek:. Warm-up over I started my MP miles, these were on flat as Berlin is flat and with the weather I couldn’t add hills into the mix. The first four were tough as the wind was just so strong and I was running through giant puddles at times, it almost felt like Half marathon pace to maintain my pace, maybe I should have gone by heart rate instead? I got to four miles with avg pace bang on MP at 7.55 and when I turned around:D:D:D I now had to keep watching the pace to keep it down as the wind was pushing me along and this time the pace felt like easy pace.
    I finished my run with a well-deserved coffee and a yummy muffin and then I did the lunchtime class to help stretch out. I felt fine during the class and surprisingly my shoulders were sorest.

It's still lashing rain and miserable outside but I've got that Friday feeling after a good week's training..... how soon is too soon to open a bottle of wine??:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

Marthastew wrote: »
    Friday June 8th
    LSR; 8.87 miles @ 9.12 pace followed by 8.03 miles @ 7.45 pace
    45 Minute body pump class

Plan called for 16 miles with 8 at MP, I know I should have done the miles in the middle of the run but I tend to speed up at the end of my runs so I thought I’d do it at the end instead. I choose the hills of killiney for the warm up miles as I knew this would keep the pace down. Nice and easy for the first four and a bit miles with the wind at my back but when I turned around…. The wind was so strong and the rain was beating into my face:( I’ve had better runs…
    On the tough uphill mile my pace was only 9.45:eek:. Warm-up over I started my MP miles, these were on flat as Berlin is flat and with the weather I couldn’t add hills into the mix. The first four were tough as the wind was just so strong and I was running through giant puddles at times, it almost felt like Half marathon pace to maintain my pace, maybe I should have gone by heart rate instead? I got to four miles with avg pace bang on MP at 7.55 and when I turned around:D:D:D I now had to keep watching the pace to keep it down as the wind was pushing me along and this time the pace felt like easy pace.
    I finished my run with a well-deserved coffee and a yummy muffin and then I did the lunchtime class to help stretch out. I felt fine during the class and surprisingly my shoulders were sorest.

It's still lashing rain and miserable outside but I've got that Friday feeling after a good week's training..... how soon is too soon to open a bottle of wine??:)

Nice one! I have something similar to look forward to tomorrow morning...urgh..

I figured that yesterday evening wasn't too soon and I'm only midway through my good (hopefully!) week's training.. :o:rolleyes: Enjoy! You deserve it :D

Plan called for 16 miles with 8 at MP, I know I should have done the miles in the middle of the run but I tend to speed up at the end of my runs so I thought I’d do it at the end instead.

Great run in those conditions. I have been wussing out of runs the last few days.

BTW P&D call on you to do the PMP miles at the end so you did it right ;)

Saturday June 9th, rest day; 1.29 hungover miles at 8.46 pace
    Had to run down to collect the car and I was surprised at how good I felt given the amount of wine I drank on Friday. Took a well-deserved rest day and I have to say it was bliss:D

Sunday June 10th
    Dip in the 40 Foot X 2
    5.6 miles recovery at 9.08 pace
    Woke bright and early after the day of rest and was of course raring to go:) I convinced Mr Stew and the junior Stews to join me for a dip in the sea. Glorious sunshine but the tide was low so the boys weren’t too keen so we let them play on the beach. The water was lovely but there were quite a few jellyfish and even though I knew they were the ones that don’t sting I couldn’t relax. Finished my swim to find my youngest collecting the jellyfish that were on the beach and putting them back in the water so they wouldn’t die, was glad I had already explained to him about the brown lion’s mane jellyfish being VERY dangerous:eek:
    About to head out on my run and my youngest asked could he join me, even though he ran 5 miles with Mr Stew on Saturday, I think he might be suffering from taper madness in the lead up to the Community games:) I let him run 4 miles with me and convinced him to call it a day when we got near home. A few years ago I took up golf with a view to one day being able to play with Mr Stew and my boys, lucky for me they all like running cos I am possibly the worst golfer ever and after a year of torture I gave it up, seriously, you could run a marathon instead of playing a round of golf:D:D
    Finished off the day by heading down to the sea again for a high-tide dip, no jelliers this time and crystal clear water:)
    Total miles for the week;
    59.26 (should have checked before I went out and made it 60:))

Monday June 11th
    Dip in the 40 Foot
    McMillan 5K workout total 11.28 miles

The plan called for a 9 mile LT run but I adapted this run for two reasons; I have a mad busy week ahead with the boys’ sports and I am finishing off the week with a 5K race on Sunday where I hope to shave a few seconds off my PB. I’m the eternal optimist and I will go into it hoping for sub 20 but after this morning’s workout I don’t think it’s on the cards.
    After my dip in the sea I did a nice easy 3.5 mile warm, avg pace 8.53 up to the track in Kilbogget Park, what a fab day again today :)
    My plan was for 3 X 3 X 400 @ 5k pace with the hope of knocking a second off each lap in each of the groups of 3. As is the case usually with intervals the first three went fine, definitely not easy but not too bad
    98 seconds
    94 seconds
    95 seconds, with 100m jog in between then a very much needed 400m jog.
    Then no great improvement;
    94 seconds
    95 seconds
    95 seconds, with 100m jog in between then 400m jog/walk to get the heart arte down
    Then
    95 seconds
    96 seconds
    95 seconds, then a hallelujah!
    I had to really push it to finish and all I was thinking was that there is no way I could maintain that for 5K. Still at least I finished it and I actually felt fine after. My warm down run home was fab and as the weather was so nice I ran a little extra and I didn't notice the pace creeping up, 5.14 miles at 8.32 pace.
    I arrived back in time for the Boot camp class and thought I’d pop in to round off the morning. 45 minutes of torture burpees, jump squats, press-ups, planks…., I was well and truly shattered after this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭Emer911

Sheesh - I'm knackered just reading that! Fair play.

Don't worry about the intervals too much, or read into it for race day pace. Different conditions entirely.
    It'll all come good on the day (I'm sure....:rolleyes:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

Emer911 wrote: »

My sentiments exactly Emer! I don’t know how she does it all!!

Great training MS - you'r really upping the gears for the Berlin camp!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Emer911 wrote: »
    claralara wrote: »

Ladies i agree!! I'm just heading for a lie-down after reading that!!;)

claralara wrote: »

Great training MS - you'r really upping the gears for the Berlin camp!!
    Younganne wrote: »
    Ladies i agree!! I'm just heading for a lie-down after reading that!!;)

Thank you:), it does sound like hard work but unlike you all I'm not holding down a fulltime job while also being responisble for an entire family/digger so you're all working just as hard as me, if not harder:D

I am training a lot at the moment for a number of reasons....

1. I'm feeling good so it's enjoyable.
    2. I'm in the First stage/mesocycle of the P&D plan which is all about Endurance aka HTFUability so I'm determined to stick to the plan.
    3. The boys will be off school in July&August and I won't have as much time or flexibility for training.
    4. It's a good excuse for not doing the housework;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭Emer911

I am training a lot at the moment for a number of reasons....

1. I'm feeling good so it's enjoyable.
    2. I'm in the First stage/mesocycle of the P&D plan which is all about Endurance aka HTFUability so I'm determined to stick to the plan.
    3. The boys will be off school in July&August and I won't have as much time or flexibility for training.
    4. It's a good excuse for not doing the housework;)

I especially like excuse #4 ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Martha, you don't need to explain your reasons:o...fair play to you for using your time for your training...i could take a leaf out of your book. Keep up the good work...you get your results in your times:D

Tuesday June 12th
    Dip in the 40 Foot
    15 miles LSR @ 8.59 pace

Bright sunny morning, quick dip in the sea and then a class in the gym to warm up and stretch my legs which were feeling a bit tight after Monday’s session.
    I had breakfast at 8.30 (big bowl of fruit and yogurt) and then a banana before I headed out. I had a 500Ml bottle of water hidden along the way and I felt that would be enough to get me through this run, I tend to use longer runs as an excuse to eat chocolate;). The first 9 miles went by really easily, my hilly route up around Killiney and I listened to an old Marathontalk podcast with an interview with Tim Noakes, very interesting stuff. He’s the guy who says we are mostly slowing ourselves down by listening to our minds/central governors and that that's what is limiting us. I’m a great believer in positive thinking so he was preaching to the choir. He was asked what he would advise an average marathon runner to do in order to run better/faster and I was sure he would say something like “recite X,Y or Z mantra every day for one month…” but he actually said “it’s very simple, you have to lots of fast training and work harder”:), apparently this allows your central governor to be confident. No magic formula....work hard, just as we all know:D

At around 10 miles I started to get very hungry and when I was running through Blackrock I nearly chased after a man who was walking by with a bag of chips. At 14 and a half miles I stopped off at the Ice House on the West Pier in Dun Laoire to buy fish for the dinner, I was so hungry I was almost considering turning it into sushi except I had forgotten to bring my rice cooker;) So I finished the run carrying a bag of fish; interesting. I looked behind a few times to make sure there wasn’t a trail of cats following me:)

Wednesday June 13th
    Dip in the 40 Foot
    Recovery 5 miles, avg pace 8.37

I had an adrenalin-filled morning watching my 11 year old play in the All-Ireland Olympic Handball Finals for his school. They lost their first match for a place in the final with less than one minute to go when the other team scored. Then their second match for 3rd/4th place was equally as nail-biting, they were winning by two goals then the other team equalised, then it went to extra time, then to penalties, then to sudden death:eek: and my son is the goalkeeper:eek::eek::eek: I was heartbroken for our team when the other team scored and they lost but they played really, really well and we consoled them by telling them they are the fourth best team in Ireland. I was so proud of my son as he held it together really well, he told me in the car on the way home that when it was all over it felt like he had just stepped off a rollercoaster he felt so sick!
    Excitement over, I was exhausted heading out on my recovery run but I knew it was exactly what I needed to clear my head…. The run turned from a recovery run into a therapy run and by the time I got home the stress of the morning was gone:)

Thursday June 14th
    Almost a dip in the sea at Vico Rd
    McMillan 5k race week workout, total miles 11.75
    Started the day by cycling up to Vico Road with my swimming pals, every year we pick a date where we treat ourselves to a picnic after our dip in the sea. June is a crazy busy month with sports days, exams etc. so it’s always nice to take time out before we break up for summer. The sun was shining but the sea was very rough, although it was high tide so we did briefly consider getting in. As we neared the water we realised that we would not be getting in; already a few feet away we were being soaked by the waves crashing in. So we happily stood holding on to the railings for dear life and got just as wet as if we had dived in. It was great fun and very refreshing, we followed this with a yummy picnic and admired the view that we so often take for granted. As the dart passed by we waved at the people on-board, compounding the myth that us housewives do indeed spend all day sitting around eating bon-bons;)
    Feeling guilty about the bon-bon eating I whizzed around the house for a quick clean-up which gave me just enough tiem to allow the picnic to digest and then I rather reluctantly headed out the door for my run.
    I found a race week workout plan by McMillan and it suggested a very easy interval session four days out from the race to follow on from the one I did on Monday so I decided to give it a go.
    3.36 warm up miles to the track @8.59 pace and I launched into it; 3 X 2 X 200 with 400M jog in-between. As I’m only just starting track intervals I found this very hard to pace and the first one I ran too fast at 43 seconds (should have been 46/47) but I settled in then and ran, 46, 45, 45, 43, 45. I need a lot of practice but in time I’ll use these types of sessions more often as they give me a lot of confidence and take away the fear of the shorter distance races. A nice 6.31 miles warm down @ 8.31 pace and I was home just in time to resume housewife duties (the non-bon-bon-eating kind;)) when the boys came home from school

Friday June 15th
    MLR 11.17 miles @ 8.55 pace
    Foam rolling
    Rain cleared up and I had a lovely run along the coast.

Saturday June 16th
    Rest day
    Not so much a rest day but a non-running day all the same. I was up bright and early to take a busload of kids to the community Games in Santry Stadium. Bumped into Racheljev and her family there and they are even cuter in the flesh than in the Facebook photos:D
    Our team did quite well with a few medals on the Sunday. My boys didn’t make it to any finals but they were up against very tough competition. The youngest was heartbroken when he just missed a place in the Final in the 200M but he took it on the chin and told me he’d be back with a vengeance next year. All in all a great day had by everyone and it makes all the hard work over the last few months well worth it. I’ve got my Wednesday evenings back to myself now:)

Sunday June 17th
    Raheny Midsummer 5K
    1.69 mile warm up @ 9.30 pace
    3.08 miles @6.30; Garmin time 20.03
    Lovely sunny morning for a race. I headed over to this with two of my pals who I don’t get to see very much of so I was very relaxed at the start as we had been non-stop chatting all the time. I moved up a bit nearer the start as they were hoping for slower times than me. At the start we were told that the course had to be changed slightly because of flooding and I was a little concerned it would be short, but thankfully not.
    Not much to say really except that I ran as fast as I could for as long as I could, I found the turning corners a bit tough and that slowed me a little but I felt good throughout. Obviously I just wanted it to be over as quickly as possible but that’s the good thing about a 5K, it is over before you know it. Mile splits 6.32, 6.29, 6.31. I crossed the line feeling shattered and bumped into Digger (congrats on a great time) and CL (congrats also on podium place in Tulfarris) then I found my pals who were thrilled with their time also.

Provisional results have me in 74th place 20.07, the winner listed in the F45 category came in 82nd with a time of 20.33 so I’ve sent them an email, I’m not sure how it works, maybe I have to be a club-runner to win a category? Either way I’m in the top 10 females and surely sub 20 can’t be that far away now:)?

TOTAL MILES FOR THE WEEK 58.01

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Micilin Muc

I’ve got my Wednesday evenings back to myself now:)

IMRA Leinster/Summer League on Wednesday nights ... only 5 weeks left in League and the kids can take part in the short course ...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Amazing time there. 4 little seconds..... Next one for sure.

Awesome job! Keep us posted on the possible category win, but either way....WOO HOO!!!! :)

Dory Dory wrote: »
    Awesome job! Keep us posted on the possible category win, but either way....WOO HOO!!!! :)

They replied and apologised... 1st in my age category, woo hoo:)

When are you arriving? I'm hoping to catch you on your East Coast portion of your Ireland trip

Monday June 18th
    Dip in the 40 Foot
    6.22 recovery miles @ 8.52
    I spent the morning doing my least favourite form of cross training; housework… I got a good workout though as I have been neglecting my duties (too much bon-bon eating;)). Just enough time for a recovery run and the legs felt fine.

Tuesday June 19th
    Dip in the 40 Foot
    45 minute Pilates class
    Docklands 8K; @ pace 6.26:D 32.33
    Total miles 12.59

Headed to the gym in the morning for some much needed TLC for my body and I felt great after the classes.
    Very busy running around all day so I wasn’t sure how I’d do in the 8K race which was on at 7.45pm. I headed in on the dart with some pals and met Mr Stew. He was uncharacteristically nervous beforehand but I think that was because he’s recently had a couple of races that haven’t gone so well. We sneaked up through the crowds to line up about 5 rows from the front and after only a short delay we were off. A super, super evening for a run and as soon as I started I knew I was feeling strong so I decided to give it a good shot. Mr Stew flew off into the distance and before long I was passing 1K and the time keeper called 4 minutes; too fast I knew but I’m not sure I could ever run a negative split in a short distance race. I was picking off runners, mostly male the odd female and passing quite a few. 2K, at 8.15 and then I caught Mr Stew, told him we were both going too fast, told him good luck and pushed on. By now things had thinned out a lot and I was concentrating on passing as many as possible, the fact that I had distance between me and the runners ahead really meant that I had to work hard, what a great way to run faster. Between 3 and 4 K I passed four female club runners and this time I was careful to make sure I was strong enough to stay ahead when I overtook them. 5K and I looked at my watch and saw 20.22 and I was surprised at how good I felt (well relatively speaking obviously). At this stage I knew if I kept it going I’d do 33.XX so I stopped looking at the watch and put the head down. Occasionally a male runner would pass me but thankfully no females. I reached 7K and the timekeeper called 28.30, I was so tempted to slow down at that stage but I kept telling myself I had only 5 more minutes to go. Rounded the corner to the last stretch and I heard the guy call out that we’d make it sub 33 minutes and my first thought was “how stupid is he? He can’t read the clock, we’ll be sub 34…” and I couldn’t believe it when the clock said 32.XX. As if the race couldn’t get any better, Mr Stew appeared beside me before I could even catch my breath, a PB for him also 34.43, he nearly threw up and in fact the guy leaning on the railings beside him did throw up so Mr Stew pulled himself together very quickly then;)

My results; 32.33, 8th female, 1st in my age group:)
    Mr Stew and I had planned to run home after the race and we were thrilled when the evening was so nice. We took it nice and handy, about three miles into the run I started to get hungry, we stopped off for a romantic;) snack in Eddie Rockets in Blackrock for a milkshake, a burger and chips (not exactly the food of athletes) and then we ran the last 3 miles home with the sun setting behind us:D

Wednesday June 20th
    Recovery 6.41 @ 9.09 pace
    A nice flat easy recovery run followed by a massage in a chintzy spa that my friend had booked for us. It was actually quite good and we had a lovely time.

Thursday June 21st
    4.94 miles @ 8.45 pace
    Up at 5am as me and my two younger boys were lucky enough to be heading to London for a few days, I headed out the door into rain and wind.
    The run did give me a chance to sort out the lists of things to do before we left and that made for a nice calm trip to the airport.

Friday June 22nd 10.42 @ 8.45
    My sister was keeping an eye on the boys and I set my alarm for 7am, I wanted to run for two reasons; this week my mileage is lower than my P&D plan calls for and also I really wanted to run in London as we lived there for 11 years.

I LOVED this run. We were lucky enough to be staying in County Hall so I started by running up embankment over to Charing cross, up to Covent Garden, Soho (passing De Hems pub where I spent at least half of those 11 years in London), Green Park, Buckingham Palace, Victoria, back to St James’ Park, down to Lambeth Bridge then up along the river past the Oxo tower turning back at Blackfriars bridge.

This run reminded me of one of the reasons I love running so much; it is such a super, super way to see any city as it’s waking up and as cities go London is one of my favourites. I got lots of smiles, and shouts of encouragement from people as I passed them.... although that could have been because I had such a ridiculously happy grin on my face the whole time:D

Brilliant stuff, that's a cracking time and the sub 20 min 5k will come next time for sure.

They replied and apologised... 1st in my age category, woo hoo:)

When are you arriving? I'm hoping to catch you on your East Coast portion of your Ireland trip

Triple WOO HOO!!! You are an amazing woman! Serious congratulations for so many things, including your 8k.

We arrive in Dublin on Wednesday, July 4.
    In Connemara from Wed - Fri (July 4-6).
    In Achill from Fri - Mon (July 6-9).
    In Wicklow from Mon - Wed (July 9-11).

We are up for anything as we have nothing concrete planned - just want to hike, eat good food, and have some fun.....so, if anyone out there wants to hook up during the day or at night (hike/eat/drink/or anything in the realm of fun) def let me know. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭upthe19th

Well done on the pacing in enniscorthy today...ye were absolutely brilliant. No way I would have done it without ye...we got super-deluxe treatment today. I didn't realise I had said "oh christ" so loud until you appeared at my shoulder with some great encouragement

Thanks a million.

upthe19th wrote: »
    Well done on the pacing in enniscorthy today...ye were absolutely brilliant. No way I would have done it without ye...we got super-deluxe treatment today. I didn't realise I had said "oh christ" so loud until you appeared at my shoulder with some great encouragement

Thanks a million.

Saying "Oh Christ" out loud is always a good sign, I knew you'd be fine..... you're only in trouble when you have lost the ability to talk in the last couple of miles.
    Great to meet you and congrats on a super PB, you're looking good for DCM, see you there:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

Just catching up Martha, cracking 5km run and category win...well done. You can spend all your winnings on champers Sat night ;)

Advertisement