Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running with the birds or for the birds?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭The_Boy_Wonder

Marthastew wrote: »

Those delicous squares of delight are actually the Avoca Cafe recipe.....

Makes about 16

200g butter
    6 x 65g Mars Bars
    200g Rice Crispies
    250g milk chocolate

Cut the butter and Mars Bars into small chunks and place in a saucepan. Place over a low heat and stir until melted, taking care not to let it burn.
    Combine the Mars Bar mixture with the Rice Crispies in a bowl and mix well. Put into a lined 30x 20x5cm tin and press down with the palm of your hand until firm.
    Melt the chocolate in a bowl over a saucepan of simmering water. Pour over the contents of the tin, spread evenly with a palette knife and leave to set. When firm, turn out on to a board and cut into squares.

God bless you Marthastew, God bless you!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

I received a little Irish package today!!!! :D Boston book, perfectly adorable silver reindeer (I love surprises!), and blown kiss all arrived safe and sound!!! Woo hoo! Thank you, thank you. Now, which chapter will I find the Clown featured in?? ;)

(oh, and thanks for posting the rice crispy recipe...and keep us posted on those remaining hanging toenails!!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

Dory Dory wrote: »

(oh, and thanks for posting the crispy hanging toenails recipe...!!)

:eek:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Woah. Woah.

HOLD. ON. A. SECOND.

You never told me you were a competent mars bar crispies maker.

How come I've never been given any of these? Love mars bar crispies.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,524 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Now, which chapter will I find the Clown featured in?? ;)
    Look for the page that was burnt out and crumpled up in a heap. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Woah. Woah.

HOLD. ON. A. SECOND.

You never told me you were a competent mars bar crispies maker.

How come I've never been given any of these? Love mars bar crispies.

You see M, you have competition in every walk of life, not just xc! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

Feeling quite ropey on Sunday morning I decided to give up sweets and alcohol till Christmas Eve, with two alcohol passes to use on two nights between now and then. The reason for this abstinence at this time of year when most of us begin the overindulging? I managed fine after Berlin without all the booze and junk (well, rice krispie buns are pretty much the same as porridge since they are breakfast food;)) and I actually felt much better without it, besides..... look what it’s done for Claralara:)

Don't do it! Yep I felt great and hung out on my high horse judging everyone round me and it ended with good PB but I'm in bits ever since. I've been limping around like a special case and haven't run a yard. My calorie consumption has doubled - I cannot get enough sugar into me. And I was out last night only to discover that the alcohol abstinence has ruined my tolerance so I have to build that back up again!!

Also, I just came home from work to discover a tray of freshly made mars bar squares. Should I be extremely grateful and appreciate the kind act of an Officer who feels sorry for my crocked foot and my busy busy work hours? Or should I be getting my gun to shoot the bit of skirt he clearly sleeping with on the side?! :eek: ;)

claralara wrote: »

Also, I just came home from work to discover a tray of freshly made mars bar squares. Should I be extremely grateful and appreciate the kind act of an Officer who feels sorry for my crocked foot and my busy busy work hours? Or should I be getting my gun to shoot the bit of skirt he clearly sleeping with on the side?! :eek: ;)

There's not much sleeping being done..... In fact, I heard she heads to the 40 foot to cool down ;)

jcsmum wrote: »
    You see M, you have competition in every walk of life, not just xc! :)

Cake Wars. I'm in. O are you in?! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭pgmcpq

I haven't had a chance to listen to any recent MT podcasts yet, I'm hoping to be back on the road in a few days so I'll have lots to catch up on as the LSRs start again.
    Did you buy a box of gels to experiment with yet?;)

Episode 150.
    Looking for a gel and Mars bar based recipe :).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭earnyourturns

Might I add that a onetime poster/longtime lurker made those Rice Krispie squares this morning for "morning tea" for her department here in New Zealand. Marthastew, you are now a three-continent phenomenon!

I feel like I'm in the middle of a Seinfield episode!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Marthastew

My goodness..... I take the evening off to watch Elf with Mr Stew and the boys and I sign on this morning to lots of news....

Firstly Claralara, OMG!! (as you youngsters would say;)) how is the foot today? I really hope you get it sorted soon, what a nightmare! And yes, you've found us out.... Officer Digger and I have been attending baking classes together, but that's all there is to it, I promise:) Although we are booked in for pottery classes next week;);)

Racoon Queen, Cake Wars... It is on like Donkey Kong! We will have to make it a smackdown.... three disciplines of cake, time trials, taste testers.... (I'm sure we would have lots of willing tasters)

Pgmcpq, I honestly think you should make a tray of those Mars Bar Krispies and then bring them on a LSR it would definitely shed some light on your sugar tolerance;)

Earnyourturns, welcome, welcome:D:D, I'm so happy to have an Antipodean visitor on here. I'm delighted you made those buns, do you have Mars Bars there? Are they called Tim Tims or something like that?

Dory, I love Seinfeld and the music is playing in my head as I type:)

BTW I've probabaly watched Elf about 9 times and it is still best Christmas movie ever:D

Well can't claim true antipodean status, North Country Dubliner who moved out here two and a half years ago, and who back in the mists of time took part in the DCM Novice 2009 thread under the capable helm of amadeus, and when I went by the moniker of goofygirl, lost in the great Boards password crash of late 2009/early 2010 (can't remember which). Oh where does the time go! Ran a few more road marathons in NZ but am more into mountain running and stuff these days. Man it's hard!

Yes, we have Mars Bars here, but we also have Cadbury Moro bars, which confusingly aren't like the Moro bars back home but are more like Mars Bars. http://www.cadbury.co.nz/Products/Chocolate-Bars/Moro-Bar.aspx. So I used six of them for local flavour

For the 250g of chocolate I also used one of these: http://www.whittakers.co.nz/#/products/blocks/5rollfairtradecreamymilk104/

(Racheljev can attest to the deliciousness of Whittaker's chocolate, as we have brokered several chocolate exchanges since I moved out here. Am keen to enter into similar import-export arrangements with any other Boardies as well.)

(Thank God for mountain running in light of all of the above. Yum!)

(Sorry for hijacking thread)

Really want to try cadbury moro mars bar things and whitakers chocolate. Any other chocolate you can send us?

Yup lots of local peculiarities.

Pineapple lumps, which are strange - ostensibly pineapple flavour - marshmallows covered in chocolate. I don't get it, but Aussies and Kiwis seem to love them, must be a nostalgia thing: http://www.cadbury.co.nz/Products/Candy-Confectionery/Pascall-Pineapple-Lumps.aspx

Chocolate fish: again, a weird marshmallow thing (can you see a theme emerging?) covered in chocolate. Total NZ icon, particularly here in Dunedin where the Cadbury's factory is: http://www.cadbury.co.nz/Products/Pre-Teens-Confectionery/Chocolate-Fish.aspx. Indeed, at the University of Otago (in Dunedin) when you hand in your PhD thesis, you get given a chocolate fish as reward for your three + years of immeasurable intellectual slog. Seems like a fair trade to me!

One more thing: I am going to suggest a Boards outing to New Zealand to coincide with this next year: http://chocolatecarnival.co.nz/. They even do a 10km fun run as part of it (to get things vaguely back on topic, sorry Marthastew)

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭banner_phoenix

Jeez MS, I logged on here to read your about your training progress and 2 pages later I learnt all about food but nothing about your training :). How are you going?

Also have to thank you as it's a sure sign that I've gotten over my stomach bug when my tummy rumblings were actually hunger pangs on reading your recipe and not something more sinister :o:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

ha ha guess what we are making tomorrow??;) and its not mince pies!!

Yep, I, too, will probably be making those blasted Mars/Rice Crispy bars this weekend!! They sound deadly delicious!!

• Advertisement

Lol, I haven't made them in ages and now I'm really tempted. Might wait till next week for nephews birthday...

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

One more thing: I am going to suggest a Boards outing to New Zealand to coincide with this next year: http://chocolatecarnival.co.nz/. They even do a 10km fun run as part of it (to get things vaguely back on topic, sorry Marthastew)

I'm fully in favour of this :)

One incredibly yummy batch of Mars Crispy Bars made and partially eaten. Did have to do some fancy math calculations...and did have to substitute Snickers with almonds for your Mars because the American version of a Mars bar is basically the Snickers with almonds....BUT....I didn't realize that the European version of a Mars bar is actually the American version of a Milky Way.....SO....I should've used Milky Way bars and not Snickers with Almonds, but the bars were/are still fabulous. Thank you for posting the recipe! Hubby said I looked like I was 10 years old with my spoon in hand stirring the mixture and the box of Rice Krispies sitting on the counter while making this "dessert" last night. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

I didn't realize that the European version of a Mars bar is actually the American version of a Milky Way.

And the European Milky Way is 3 Musketeers in your land! Very confusing altogether!

If there was a Post of the Year award, the recipe post would get it hands down!:)

I thought this was a training log? :D

I'm delighted to see that I have started a global Mars Rice Krice Krispie trend (well, New Zealand, USA and Ireland:rolleyes:) and I'm also happy my log has turned into a chocolate thread because I love chocolate as much as I love running:)

Earnyourturns, I'm actually familiar with the Pineapple chunks and jaffa things as my sister-in-law used to live in NZ, although they could really be classed as one of your five a day, couldn't they?:rolleyes:

I'm planning to turn this log back into a training log later today when I get a chance to update.

For the moment I'll keep with the non-running theme and share the following......

Saturday morning I was up bright and early with the boys getting ready for rugby when one of them spotted something strange in our back garden, our garden has a mostly disused laneway behind it and access to it is restricted to homeowners on the street behind us..... It would appear that somebody is trying to tell me something..... plonked in our garden (presumably having been flung over the wall) was a brand new zimmerframe;);) I'm not that old, am I?? :)

[QUOTE=Marthastew;82164353

Saturday morning I was up bright and early with the boys getting ready for rugby when one of them spotted something strange in our back garden, our garden has a mostly disused laneway behind it and access to it is restricted to homeowners on the street behind us..... It would appear that somebody is trying to tell me something..... plonked in our garden (presumably having been flung over the wall) was a brand new zimmerframe;);) I'm not that old, am I?? :)[/QUOTE]

Maybe digger left it behind on Friday night when he was watching you from the bushes?

Maybe digger left it behind on Friday night when he was watching you from the bushes?

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D
    You're on top form this morning M, must be all that great running you did yesterday! Well done you:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D
    You're on top form this morning M, must be all that great running you did yesterday! Well done you:)

WOW, she's on Fire alright! :pac:

UPDATE.

I’ve been keeping busy with yoga, body sculpt, spinning etc. and for the most part I was happy enough not running and following the phsyio’s advice. I went back to see him last week and was convinced he’d tell me to start running again but he found one small little tender spot on my heel and gave me more exercises and told me to come back and see him in a week. I left his office fully intending to give him one more week before running and then last Wednesday the sun was shining and I felt great and I thought f**k this I’m going for a run:) So off I went to the hills of killiney to get a dose of that beautiful view and some running endorphins. I had my Garmin screen on time only and I planned to run for an easy hour and it was sheer heaven, No niggles at all and I felt I could have gone on for ever but I didn’t want to overdo it so….
    7.78 miles @ 8.55 pace.
    My heel felt fine the next morning but I had plans so I couldn’t run again. Friday I did yoga, body sculpt and managed to fit in a quick run, again with only time showing, no pace.
    3.36 miles @ 8.06 pace
    Still feeling great after this run and my heel felt super so I took the liberty of cancelling my next appointment with the physio. I’m going to ease back into training but not too slowly, Donadea is only 10 weeks away and I’m in danger of being the 5 hour pacer if I don’t get back into proper training soon:eek:
    I had great plans to get a longer run in at the weekend but unfortunately it wasn’t to be…
    Up early Saturday (zimmerframe day;)) and I was feeling very nauseous and cold and tired so I rather wisely decided not to run. I was heading to a drinks party in the afternoon so I dosed up on Vitamin I (ibuprofen;)) and motilium and felt great (ah, the wonders of medicine). We met up with the lovely Beeepbeep and family and lots of other fun people and basically spent a few hours drinking wine and having fun. I woke Sunday morning being reminded of the reason I don’t really drink anymore, feeling very, very ropey but after a while it became clear that I wasn’t just suffering from a hangover but Banner Phoenix’s tummy bug:eek::eek: (is it possible for a tummy bug to spread online?;)) I spent all day yesterday either in bed or in the bathroom and finally last night I managed to keep a slice of toast down and today I’m on to soup and feeling better by the hour. After one entire day in bed I couldn’t take it anymore and headed to the 40 Foot this morning for a dip thinking it would either cure me or kill me (I had to go out anyway as there is no food in the house and a lot of hungry mouths to feed;)) The dip actually felt great and I was so cold I forgot about the nausea:) By lunchtime I was feeling a bit more human and getting restless after two days of inactivity so I did the bodypump class but I kept the weights low. I’m pretty sure I’ll be back to normal tomorrow and if I feel up to it I might try a short run.

Mr Stew is tabulating our sooper-dooper Spring marathon plans at the moment, Rotterdam for him, London for me and I can’t wait to get started:D

• Advertisement

I'm just catching up now and when I read about the Zimmer Frame I just knew I was in for a slagging ;)

Advertisement