Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running with the birds or for the birds?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭banner_phoenix

Marthastew wrote: »
    Congrats on your duathlon on Sunday:D You're well on your way to Athy...
    I actually did the sprint there in 2008 and 2009 and I LOVED it both times, I didn't do too badly despite being such a poor swimmer. You will have no bother at all with the swim if it's the same as when I did it, the current is fantastic, especially if it has been raining the week before. Flat cycle and flat run, it was a super event when I did it and you will fly through it.

Thanks MS. Current, flat cycle and flat run sound right up my street :). BTW I can't believe your were still dipping into 40 Foot last week....bbbrrrrrr :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

Digger, I think I can speak for all of us when I say that we are so relieved you are back from death's door:) Obviously childbirth pales in comparison to what you have been through recently;) My only concern is that the guns may have suffered?

Sincere thanks for those sentiments. Unfortunately yes, the guns have suffered. Weighing everything up I guess it was a small price to pay for survival! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Marthastew

Monday January 21st
    Dip in the 40 Foot
    45 minute Ashtanga yoga
    45 minute Body Sculpt class
    Although I had felt tired after Sunday’s long run I woke feeling great on Monday and was seriously tempted to do a recovery run but the dip in the 40 Foot (brrrrr) had me heading straight to the gym for warmth. I worked hard in Yoga and Body sculpt to make up for my lack of HTFU with the weather (although running through hail-stones to jump in the sea surely counts for something:))

Tuesday January 22nd
    Dip in the 40 Foot
    45 minute lower body class
    Treadmill run:eek: 7 miles in 56 minutes
    45 minute Pilates reformer class
    I nearly fell on my a*se walking down to the sea so there was no way I was risking a run outside. I found this run tough going purely because I’m not used to running on the treadmill, after a while I covered up the screen and listened to a marathontalk podcast (Amby Burfoot, well worth a listen). I started slow and picked up the pace, glad to have this over.
    Nobody fell over in Pilates so I was able to keep the giggles under control.

Wednesday January 23rd

A REAL rest day
    I popped down to Kildare to the asics’ store to pick up some new trainers and I picked up lots of bargains in some other stores as well.

Thursday January 24th
    Easy 4.39 miles @ 8.40 pace pace
    75 minute Hot Ashtanga Yoga
    30 min spinning class
    Met up with two running pals for a quick easy run before we headed into yoga class, a really lovely morning for a run. I popped into spinning class after we had a mocha-choc-chino.

Hopefully the weather won’t play havoc with our speed session tomorrow, either way I’m going to take it easy ahead of Raheny this Sunday. I’m not sure what shape I’m in for the race, I’ve had 3 sold weeks of training so I’m hopeful for a good run. I’m looking forward to the race as it will let me know how optimistic my London marathon goal is, McMillan tells me I need to run 33.11 for a 3.15 marathon. I plan to head out at 6.35 pace and take it from there, it could all end in tears but it’s worth a shot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

dat will also get u sub 4 50km with change....

ultraman1 wrote: »
    dat will also get u sub 4 50km with change....

I think 4.04.04:) sounds like a better goal. Sunday will let me know if I'm too optimistic with my targets....

(obviously this goal has absolutely nothing to do with the female course record; 4.04.06;))

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭PaulieYifter

Good luck today (and to Mr. Stew) - will keep an eye out for you

Good luck today (and to Mr. Stew) - will keep an eye out for you

great to catch up with you yesterday, congrats on a fantastic run.
    You should have joined us for tea and caroline's carrot cake after the race.

Very, very best of luck for the new arrival in the next few weeks. You'll need to make sure you have your phone with you on your LSRs:)

Friday January 25th
    Easy track session, total of 10 miles
    I decided to add in a few extra miles as 2 non-running days meant my mileage was very low this week, I ran up to kilbogget park and met up with some running pals for our session with Maria. 12 hardy souls braved the rain and wind but we all agreed that the weather was positively perfect in comparison to the Friday before. We did some drills and then Maria asked those of us who were racing Raheny to only do 8 X 100M strides. it was great to do this in a group and she kept reminding us to concentrate on form and relax. Very enjoyable session followed by more drills and a cool-down mile and then I added on some more miles on the way home. Popped into Body Sculpt and then had a long soak in the Jacuzzi:D
    Saturday January 26th
    4.26 miles @ 8.43 pace.
    I hadn’t intended running on Saturday but I woke to sunshine and realised it had been quite a while since I ran in nice conditions. A nice blustery run along the coast to clear the cobwebs and I threw in a few strides at the end. Legs feeling good after a week’s rest:)

Sunday January 27th Raheny 5 mile
    The Stew Family hopped on the dart in glorious sunshine full of hope and excitement…. By the time we reached Blackrock the rain was clattering against the windows and the sky was ominous whatever direction we looked. I was quite nervous as I really felt that after a good solid month of training in January this race would be a good reflection of where I am fitness-wise. I had had an easy week’s training, a good night’s sleep, a nice big (but not too big) brunch (French toast) and was feeling good physically; in short, I had no excuse not to run well and this of course made me nervous. Mr Stew and I sat on the dart looking at the rain and felt more and more like turning home:( We arrived nice and early because Junior Stew was running the 800M. I was so excited for him I soon forgot to be nervous for myself:)
    The organisation in Raheny was fantastic, very little queuing despite the fact there were so many runners of all ages. I bumped into Jcsmum but missed all the other wonderful boardsies as I was busy being a pushy proud mum. Neither of the 2 older boys wanted to race but Junior (9 years old) was very keen. We told him to get up near the front and the rain had cleared at this stage so the day was getting better and better. Great commentary was provided by Susan from our club and a really nice man; they kept the kids entertained as they waited. After much excitement and jumping up and down off they went and flew around and it would seem that I can use my youngest son to help me with my interval sessions; 2.57 for him and he was quite naturally thrilled with himself:D
    We brought the boys back into the hall and it turns out I had a lovely chat with boards’ Helenanne without realising who she was:) She was one of the lovely people who had spent their Saturday making up those amazing goody bags for us! I also said hi to Mrs Raycun and then headed out for a very quick warm up.
    It was so cold and blustery, all I managed was a few drills, caught up with Chinguetti and Pistol and then joined our fellow club-members to line up at the start. Chatting with them I was so relaxed I forgot to check my Garmin…. As I glanced down to hit Start at the start line I realised it was off:eek: At this point I decided to run without my Garmin, I did manage to turn it on after .15 of a mile had passed but I had done that just in case my chip failed. In a short race like this I find it much easier to pace myself off other people and I also think I work harder than if I’m glancing at my watch. I was shocked at how congested the first mile was… Two clubmembers were targeting a similar time to me and I tried to keep them and Mr Stew in my sights but I kept having to dodge people. I found the first mile very tough going but I soon settled in and just kept picking off runners to overtake. The support along the route was fabulous and lots of our fellow club-members had come out to support also.
    I spotted Mr Stew after we passed the 2 mile marker and settled in behind him with another runner who was doing the same (he provides great shelter;)) The other runner dropped back slightly when I said something along the lines off “I’m right behind you sweetheart”, I think he was relieved when Mr S encouraged me to push on. On the downhill towards the coast I overtook Chinguetti just because I was feeling strong but he looked very relaxed so I thought I might see him again later. Just before the 3 mile point I tucked in behind a guy and he joked that I was being cheeky, I asked him what our pace was and he said 6.30 so I dropped back a little but also decided to try and keep him in my sights. The coast road was tough enough trying to overtake people and also because my mind was telling me the last mile would be tough. Another shout out from club mates on the corner was a great way to start up the hill and then Chinguetti overtook me, I reckon he knocked a few seconds off my time as I really tried hard to keep up with him, I failed miserably; my legs were feeling like jelly and I was struggling at this stage. Turned the corner into a shocking wind and blaring sunshine and I actually shouted “F*ck”, I really wanted the race to be over. I was overtaken by a female runner and was angry at myself I couldn’t catch her but when I started to feel a bit sick I was actually fine with her overtaking me, I knew I was working as hard as I possibly could. Another club-member shouted that we had only 500 metres to go and I really tried to pick it up, didn’t manage to overtake anyone and I was overtaken by at least 2 guys. I could hear Susan on the loud-speaker telling people that they could still make it in under 34 mins and I was so happy. I saw the clock as I ran down the finishing straight and it said 33.11:D, a big smile on my face as I crossed the line (guntime 33.22) and I had been so engrossed in the race I forgot to look out for my darling boys who had been screaming their lungs out at the side-line. Bumped into runningking just as I started to recover and then I turned round to look for Mr Stew and was overjoyed to see him beaming with happiness as he crossed the line with a sub 34 PB, 33.46 for him and he was overjoyed.

I’m delighted with how this race went, I was a little concerned going into it that I had lost huge fitness over the past few months but I’m hopefully nearly back on track, not a PB for me but I really feel I raced well and I’m thrilled with the result.
    Chip time 33.07
    5th place F45
    30th Female finisher
    We headed back to the GAA hall for tea, chocolate and some yummy, yummy carrot cake that one of our club-mates had made and I got to catch up with lots of pals. Mr S and I had planned to run home so the boys headed for the dart (after being given about 5 bars of aero each by some of the fabulous volunteers). Eventually we said our goodbyes and reluctantly headed into the wind and cold…….
    12.6 miles @ 8.35 pace, we started this run at about 9 min miles but we both felt strong so gradually picked it up. The wind was in our faces as far as the East link but after that it was at our backs so we clocked a good few 8 min miles. When we reached the coast the moon was rising and we were both in great form. We arrived home and Mr S decided he’d run to the shop instead of driving to give him a total of 20 miles for the day:)

Total mileage for the week 44.23

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

you ran home :eek:

RayCun wrote: »

I'm just shocked they didn't fit in some rock climbing and a body sculpt class as well! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭hot to trot

Brill running as usual. I expect nothing else from you these days. Looking forward to you having a great day out in Donadea.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭chinguetti

I was far from comfortable when you passed me out around 2 miles, i was boll***ed. Got my second wind when i hit the road to Sutton and then spotted you up ahead so decided to try and pass you before the 4 mile mark which i just about managed.

Great going on Sunday and i with everyone on the running home:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

digger2d2 wrote: »
    I'm just shocked they didn't fit in some rock climbing and a body sculpt class as well! :)

I had to read that bit again! :eek:

Well done O, super running!

It was sort of an ar*eways PMP LSR:)

We both had agreed that we would only run home if we felt well after the race. We also had enough money for a taxi just in case;)

Monday January 28th
    Dip in the 40 Foot
    45 minute Ashtanga yoga

Character building LSR 17 miles @ 8.51 pace
    I woke feeling fine after Sunday so I decided to use this as an opportunity to do another back to back long run ahead of Donadea. A quick dip in the 40 Foot and on the cycle up to the gym I realised that my run would be challenging but after 7 miles on the treadmill last week I decided I’d take my chances outside in the wind and rain. The yoga class helped loosen out my hips which were a little tight and I popped on my iPod with a marathontalk podcast, rain jacket, gloves and hat and away I went. I was lucky enough to start in only light rain and the sun was even trying to peek out from the clouds. The sea was fabulous, high tide and waves splashing and I had planned an easy trip up to the 40 Foot and then into town and back. I had had yogurt and fruit for breakfast and I was running this on empty (I figured I had plenty of fat stored after the Raheny goody bag;)) From the mile on my bike earlier I knew that the journey into town would be easier than returning but the wind seemed to always be in my face no matter which way I ran. The first few miles were a little sluggish and then the legs felt fine and before I knew it I was in town. I ducked into Jury’s hotel at IFSC to use the loo and had a sneaky glass of water and headed for home…..
    Holy Merde:eek: the wind:eek::eek: It was almost funny at times, I felt like I was going backwards it was so strong. I switched from marathontalk to some disco music to try to dance my way home through the wind and things weren’t going too badly till the heavens opened, torrential rain and I could barely see in front of me. The footpaths were flooded and my new Asics were well and truly christened as I had no choice but to wade through the water. And then I started to fantasise about food…. I arrived back in Dun Laoghaire with 16.8 miles on the Garmin and even though I was knackered, hungry and miserable there was no way I was stopping till I reached 17:) I have never in my life been so happy to gulp down a warm sweet mocha-choca-cino:D

Tuesday January 28th

Another wet and windy day so I took the easy option and stayed indoors:)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Getting caught up on things here - well done last weekend!! And I about spewed my drink when I came to your query about possibly losing "huge" fitness over the past few months. I've read you log....every entry. No worries. You're plenty fit for the lot of us!! ;):):D Roll on London!!!

Wednesday January 29th
    Treadmill Pyramid intervals, 5.2 miles
    30 min spinning class

I figured I’d had enough of the wind and rain so decided to risk the treadle for this one.
    200, 400, 600, 800, 600, 400, 200 with up to half the distance rest in-between. This wasn’t as bad as I thought it would be, although I find it hard to run comfortably on the treadmill as I keep banging my hands off the front of the machine and I’m also convinced I’ll end up flying off it into the middle of a spinning class:eek:

I did the 200s at 6.25 pace, the 400s at 6.30 pace, the 600s at 6.35 pace and the 800 at 6.40 pace. 2 mile warm up and 1 mile warm down. Popped into spinning after to keep the heart rate up.

Thursday January 30th
    Dip in the 40 Foot
    MLR 14.14 miles @ 8.38 pace
    30 min spinning class

Only a little rain but still gale force winds.; in my face on the way into town this time so I had a nice easy run home with the wind on my back. I had eggs for breakfast and nothing but water before this run and it wasn’t too bad, I did spend the last few miles dreaming of food and I decided that I couldn’t face spinning without some sugar so I told myself if I picked it up for the last mile I could have a muffin and coffee…..7.36:D. On a sugar high in spinning and super disco tunes playing…. Happy tired legs:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭RunningKing

Actually how many classes do you do in a week? It's only Thursday and I'm reading 6 already :-0

Dory Dory wrote: »
    Getting caught up on things here - well done last weekend!! And I about spewed my drink when I came to your query about possibly losing "huge" fitness over the past few months. I've read you log....every entry. No worries. You're plenty fit for the lot of us!! ;):):D Roll on London!!!

And well done to you DD, you've really ramped up the training and I'm enjoying your log very much at the moment.

Speaking of your log, you SHOULD consider an Ultra;) Ignore Kurt, he's a born-again swimmer;) (I'm secretly jealous of course) Dory's Disney Ultra over the 2 days just happens to be the distance of Connemara Ultra and we already know you love that part of the world:)

Actually how many classes do you do in a week? It's only Thursday and I'm reading 6 already :-0

It does seem a little excessive when added up:) I usually do between 5-8 classes a week. There are a number of reasons;
    Firstly, I enjoy most of them and secondly I do them because I know they're good for me:); a stronger body means I'm less likely to injure myself and I'm pretty sure the classes must also help with my overall fitness.
    I never really enjoyed yoga until I found the right instructor last year and I honestly believe that it helped speed up my return from injury and it has now become an integral part of my week.
    As I've said on here before, I'm very lucky to have the time to fit in all the classes as well as my running.

• Advertisement

Total miles for January 249.5 (must try harder;))

Friday February 1st
    Recovery 6.25 miles @ 8.55 pace
    75 minute Vinyasa Yoga Class
    Dip in the Seapoint
    45 minute Body Sculpt Class
    Sunshine and views of Killiney Bay, a lovely recovery run that had me on a high on the way into Yoga. The high just got better as it was a fantastic class. We were trying out a new very difficult pose and the instructor very calmly told us that the best way to get to the pose was not to put pressure on ourselves by thinking of the end result but just to take it one step at a time. I got there! Only for a few seconds but I maintained the pose and going into it I really felt I wouldn’t be able to do it. I’ve decided that this is how I’m going to approach all my races from now on, one step/mile at a time, do my best for as long as I can and enjoy the journey to the Finish Line:) I popped on my bike to Seapoint as it was high tide and had a fabulous swim in the sun.

Saturday February 2nd
    LSR 22.5 miles @ 8.30 pace
    More sunshine and no rain:) I ran this with Mr Stew and Meno and we headed into town and then out around Rathmines, Churchtown and back to the coast and home again. I really, really enjoyed this run and it was so nice to do a different route. We stopped to get a drink just after 10 miles and I knew the run was going well as I hadn’t once looked at my watch before that. Meno had the radio on so we could keep an eye on the rugby and whenever we passed a pub we’d ask the people outside what the score was. I’m sure they were thinking we were nuts;) We all started to tire a little at about 17 miles and I was absolutely starving. My appetite at the moment is ferocious but I’m putting that down to the increase in miles. I had hoped to lose a couple of kilos before Donadea but at this rate I won’t, I’ll try to stick to healthy stuff as much as possible from now on. Speaking of healthy stuff… I had bought one of the Coconut Kit Kat Chunkys and I was salivating at the thought of it for the last 3 miles:D Mr Stew was wearing his new Asics so his feet were starting to hurt a little and Meno had had enough of my chit chat…. I spent the last few miles discussing food (with myself;)) and I’m pretty sure I was driving them both mad at this stage. I find that during a LSR I tend to get fixated on something in the last few miles, and today it was food (well actually junk food). The Kit Kat chunky may have had a lot to do with it but the 22nd mile was 7.35 pace; and this just happens to be sub 4 pace for a 50K:D:D

Sunday February 3rd
    Recovery 6.22 miles @ 8.45 pace
    A little fast for recovery but I was in a hurry to get back and bring the Junior Stews to rugby.

Total miles for the week 71.21:D
    I’m delighted with the week as I’m pretty sure that’s my highest mileage week ever but more importantly I’m feeling strong and healthy (obviously I’m knocking on wood, chasing magpies, crossing fingers and toes as I type this;))

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Mr Stew was wearing his new Asics so his feet were starting to hurt a little and Meno had had enough of my chit chat….

I had had enough of life at that stage, I just wanted to crawl under a duvet and go to sleep for a week :pac:

Great running on saturday, glad to see you have come public on the fact you intend to set a course record in Donadea :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Super mileage Marthastew, you are really putting in some great work!! London will be no bother to you!!

I might join you lot some weekend soon for a 20 miler. Need a change in scenery and sick of slogging it out myself!! :)

blockic wrote: »
    Super mileage Marthastew, you are really putting in some great work!! London will be no bother to you!!

I might join you lot some weekend soon for a 20 miler. Need a change in scenery and sick of slogging it out myself!! :)

We'd love you to join us sometime, the scenery is fab and there's lots of scintillating conversation (well, I think I'm scintillating:)). It'll be nice for Mr Stew to meet another Rotterdam-bound runner. There's a good bunch from our club also going and I imagine there will be some massive PBs and even more massive hangovers;)

These LSR's are soon to be named the Stew-adoption runs ;)

digger2d2 wrote: »
    These LSR's are soon to be named the Stew-adoption runs ;)

We're hoping to adopt some more children this Sunday morning;) Any interest in 14 miles with 7 @ 50K pace? :)

PS, I presume the guns are getting a super workout while you're skiing

Monday February 4th
    Rest day
    Dip in the 40 Foot
    45 minute Ashtanga yoga

Tuesday February 5th
    Dip in the 40 Foot
    MLR 12.13miles @ 8.46 pace

Brrrrr…….. You know it’s cold when the Irish Sea feels warm compared to outside:eek: A very quick but enjoyable dip in the sea, great way to start the day.
    I worked hard in the lower body class so my legs were a little tired to start but I settled in to a nice easy pace after a mile or so. I headed up to Killiney and the hills were tough but the views were worth the hard work. Arrived back just in time for Pilates, a great stretch for my legs. I was STARVING after this class. I think cold weather makes me hungry…..

Wednesday February 6th
    V02 workout; total 8.89 miles, overall pace 8.09.
    2 and a half mile warm-up to the mile track and I headed into the first mile very optimistically with 6.30 in mind for my 5K pace…… WIND, horrendous wind (and not because of the beans I had last night;)) I was working so hard as I ran and wasn’t too surprised to see 6.59 as I finished the first mile. I took a short 2 min recovery jog and enjoyed the next mile as that horrible wind was now on my back; 6.24 but I knew my last rep would be into the wind again so I jogged into the wind for 5 mins in order for half of this lap to be with the wind at my back. The first half mile was so hard and then I turned to enjoy the wind at my back; 6.49 this time and I was happy to finish the session off by heading home as a cool-down. I really feel these sessions help me not only physically but also mentally as it’s such a hard slog racing against yourself into the wind, I was trying my yoga mentality of enjoying the journey but all I could think was “when will this be over?”:)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,195 ✭✭✭PaulieC

We're hoping to adopt some more children this Sunday morning;) Any interest in 14 miles with 7 @ 50K pace? :)

PS, I presume the guns are getting a super workout while you're skiing

Yes please. Count me in (earlier the better I think)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

PaulieC wrote: »
    Yes please. Count me in (earlier the better I think)

Great stuff. Plan is to head from MS' Gaff at 9am. Sound OK?
    We might have a decent little group and a few celebs in attendance ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,195 ✭✭✭PaulieC

menoscemo wrote: »
    Great stuff. Plan is to head from MS' Gaff at 9am. Sound OK?
    We might have a decent little group and a few celebs in attendance ;)

Perfect. Let me know the where and I'll meet you there (calendar is free for now for once).
    What is 50k pace btw?

Advertisement