Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running with the birds or for the birds?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

PaulieC wrote: »
    Perfect. Let me know the where and I'll meet you there (calendar is free for now for once).
    What is 50k pace btw?

I'll let MS PM you when she sees this as she'll know where best to meet but it's in the sandycove area.
    50k pace is 7:40/mile for us (to come in just under 4hrs). Hopefully see you sunday so...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

Marthastew wrote: »

We're hoping to adopt some more children this Sunday morning;) Any interest in 14 miles with 7 @ 50K pace? :)

PS, I presume the guns are getting a super workout while you're skiing

Yep, was onto recentstew by text so all good for Sunday, not sure about the 7 @ 7.40 on skiing legs but we'll see. The guns are bulging, I've had to buy new base layers to accomodate their increase ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,195 ✭✭✭PaulieC

menoscemo wrote: »
    We might have a decent little group and a few celebs in attendance ;)

Should I bring my camera and autograph book ? Or do you just mean b-list celebs like Rosanna and Georgia ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Should I bring my camera and autograph book ? Or do you just mean b-list celebs like Rosanna and Georgia ?

A-listers all the way. Got their pictures in magazines and everything ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

Should I bring my camera ?

bring ur speedos,u could end up in the 40 foot....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,195 ✭✭✭PaulieC

menoscemo wrote:
    A-listers all the way. Got their pictures in magazines and everything ;)

what sort of magazines though ?
    ultraman1 wrote:
    bring ur speedos,u could end up in the 40 foot....

If I cycle out there, that would make up a triathlon of sorts. Now if I only had a bike I'd be sorted. And a pair of speedos.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Marthastew

Thursday February 7th
    Dip in the 40 Foot
    75 minute ashtanga yoga class
    30 min spinning class
    I hadn’t planned a running-free day but the rain had started (yet again!) after yoga and I opted to have a mocha-choca-chino with my pals instead:o I did work very hard in the spinning class and was in fact a little dizzy when the class was over, it’s amazing what guilt will do:)

Friday February 8th
    Speed session total of 5 miles covered.
    Cycling in and out and around town; 19.95 miles

A really enjoyable morning with Racheljev and Maria McCambridge, I wasn’t really in the mood for this as I headed up but the chat on the warm up was nice and after the legs warmed up I felt good. I felt a little sluggish on the initial strides so I was pleasantly surprised when I was able to maintain a good pace for the intervals. 4 X 800M with I can’t remember what rest in between. She asked us to run at 10K pace but I headed off at 5K pace and was glad I didn’t regret doing so, 3.07, 3.06. 3.07 and 3.05 and I really enjoyed it. She then asked us to do 400M all out and I managed 81 seconds which I thought was really good but then Meno subsequently burst my bubble by telling me I’d need to be running sub 70 to feel smug;) Must try a lot harder:D I had to run a few errands in town so I put on the rain gear and hopped on my bike

Saturday February 9th

Recovery 6.17 miles @ 9.27 pace.
    A splish-splosh trip around Shanganagh Park while junior played GAA. I was thrilled to bump into a pal and her son who were out for a run and joined them for a couple of miles.

Sunday February 10th

MLR 14 miles with 7 @ P50KP
    Mr Stew and I were delighted to have lots of company for this run, a grey misty morning with all the junior’s rugby cancelled due to water-logged pitches so it would have been a tough enough run on our own. PaulieC, Meno and Claralara and Offcier Digger (who had jetted in from the ski slopes to join us:)) were welcome arrivals and away we went at 9am on a Sunday morning.
    I really enjoyed this and the chat along the way meant the miles ticked by nicely, we ran the first 7 miles around 8.30 pace and had no problems picking up the pace to 7.40 for the last 7. TBH I’m not sure I noticed much difference in my effort but I’m pretty sure I’ll notice after 50K:D

Total miles for the week 46.19
    The junior Stews are off school this week so that ties in nicely with my mini-taper for Donadea. I’m planning easy runs to keep the legs ticking over and if I don’t eat too many pancakes I just might reach my sub 4 target which would break the course record (4.04.06);)
    I’d imagine quite a few of the female runners also have that goal in mind, so it just remains to be seen how much faster they are than me:) I’ve got my fingers and toes crossed and I’m off to chase some magpies and say a novena…..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Rosary beads are out for you doll. Not that you need help since I think you're going to smash that record to bits! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

I'm getting so excited for you... any bit of Donadea envy I had was well and truly murdered on Sunday - it's all about the crewing and support now :D Just remember what we discussed about making sensible choices this week... Don't go pulling an Officer Digs "if it's on the plan, I'll do the complete opposite"... ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

claralara wrote: »
    I'm getting so excited for you... Just remember what we discussed about making sensible choices this week... Don't go pulling Officer Digs

FYP :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

O, you'll do amazing in Donadea no question!

Monday February 11th
    7.03 miles @ 8.25 pace
    45 min Body Pump Class
    A lovely run in the rain with a pal, it’s amazing how the miles fly by when you have company. I also managed to sneak down to a class in the gym. Legs feeling good.

Pancake Tuesday:D:D
    6.05 miles @ 8.33 pace
    45 minute lower legs class.
    I bumped into a pal of mine out on her run with her dog and tagged along with them for half a mile, so much fun with a dog… he was like the dog from “Up”, jumping up and down as if to say “isn’t this fun?.....I’ve never met you before but I love you… Oh, look, birds, let’s chase them……” I was having great fun till I looked at my Garmin and saw that we were doing 12 minute miles:eek: So away I left them to it.

Total pancakes made; 30
    Total pancakes eaten by me; 7:D

Wednesday February 13th
    5.25 miles @ 8.02 pace
    Mini-madness to accompany my mini-taper; I was extremely tempted to head out on a long run as I’m now under the impression that my training for Donadea has been less than perfect, having only really begun to train on January 1st:eek:, with Claralara’s warning above ringing in my ears common sense prevailed and I did a short progression run instead of 20 miles. First mile nice and easy at 9 min pace and then I gradually picked it up till the 4th and 5th miles were at 50K pace 7.33 and 7.37. The last two miles were into the driving wind and rain (yet again) so the pace didn’t exactly feel as easy as it should have but I’m not overly worried.

Thursday February 14th
    75 minute hot ashtanga Valentine yoga class
    I started today with a simply divine breakfast served up by the marvellous Mr Stew:) Hard to believe that this is our 25th Valentine’s Day together but time flies when you’re having fun:D We’ve planned a romantic break this Saturday, a nice enjoyable trip around a scenic forest in Kildare:D

I popped down to yoga and was delighted to discover that our instructor was also all loved up and had a special soundtrack for us, Marvin Gaye kicked us off and it was smooth tunes all the way:D I really enjoyed this class, in fact it went by way too fast.

My legs are feeling strong and I'm planning another yoga class tomorrow which should have me arriving on the Start Line raring to go:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭hot to trot

Your taper weeks looks like my peak training week without all the cross training.
    Best of luck on Saturday. Give it a lash and enjoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

Good luck Saturday MS, I'm going to wait at the finish line to watch you bag a course record.........and then do my final lap:o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

Best of luck on Saturday marthastew, enjoy breaking the course record! :D Looking forward to reading all about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭RunningKing

Best of luck on Sat MS........just dont go doing a lap of honour afterwards!

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭PaulieYifter

Best of luck in the race - looks like you'll get to the finish line before my new baby arrives - I've told the missus she's in a race and suggested that the pain she'll endure will be similar....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Aimman

Best of luck tomorrow. We're not expecting anything less then 1st Woman home and a new course PB :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Aimman wrote: »
    Best of luck tomorrow. We're not expecting anything less then 1st Woman home and a new course PB :D

Couldn't have put it better myself! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Best of Luck tomorrow MarthaStew, I'm looking forward to the report already:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭run44

Best of luck!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

What cake are you bringing?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭Emer911

Aimman wrote: »
    jcsmum wrote: »
    Couldn't have put it better myself! :)

Sheesh! No pressure there then!

:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

I have no intention of putting any pressure on MS to achieve a particular race time. She will have a good race and a good time, I'm sure.

The race report I expect to be a masterpiece - every km described in loving detail, every fleeting thought turned into profound insight. I expect to laugh, to cry, to be changed forever by my reading of it.
    No pressure though.
    :)

Holy Merde:D I was feeling calm and collected till I logged on here, but I'm not so sure now:eek:

Thanks so much for all your messages; I'll do my very, very best and we'll see where that gets me.... I'm currently practicing an Aimann-style jump for the Finish Line, it's not going too well;)

RQ, Rice Krispie treats and chocolate banana brownies and all we have to do is run 50K to earn them:)
    Paulieyifter, very, very best of luck to the missus, if memory serves me (youngest Stew is nearly 10 years old) she'll have a much tougher day than us in Kildare, let us know when you're passing out the cigars:)

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭banner_phoenix

Good luck tomorrow MS, no doubt you'll have a great run and have "fun" doing so :). I'll have the bucket of coffee ready for the report on Monday morn ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

So you are expected to win, in a course record, under 4 hours, bring cake and write an award winning report.... no flies on this log! Hopefully I'll meet the stews in the morning, if not, best of luck to you both :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

To add to eveyone else, best of luck tomorrow!! :) You'll get a super time no doubt!!

Anyway the race report is the centre piece after all! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭pgmcpq

Best of luck tomorrow. I have every confidence - you'll probably need to put more worki into the report than the race !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

And to think, I hiked the Great Sugar Loaf with MS!! I was in the presence of a super star!!!!! :D

Smash is sista!! You know you want to...and you know you can!!! :)

Advertisement