Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running with the birds or for the birds?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭PDCAT

Great race, great report. Well done you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Congratulations to Mr & Mrs Stew. fantastic achievement, super report and Well deserved. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭DigiJem

Huge congrats MS, great racing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭hot to trot

So thrilled for you . Hard work paying off. I am so glad the support helped because you dish it out to everyone else also .

Always amazes me that you can run so well , so fast and still have time for chat. Your times are not ready to plateau for a long time yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭Alicano

An absolute pleasure to run with and watch you and Mr.Stew for 21(ish) of the 31 miles achieve something so special together. 50K Champion! I've been telling everyone about your race instead of my own!. There was a distinct moment where the laughs and chats stopped and both of you put the heads down and went after it. Poetry in motion from where I was looking/running.
    Total respect and congrats to Mr.Stew also. Beast of a runner. Seemed to coast his way all along. Great emotional report and thanks for not slagging me off :D
    That's twice you've left me for dust..And I thought you were nice!!
    Enjoy the fantastic feeling. So well deserved.
    Al.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40 baldymolloy

well done great race it was nice to have run with you for some of it (this is paul)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭neilc

Well done to you both, totally deserved!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,007 ✭✭✭opus

Congratulations! Great run and report!

Wish I stayed with the bus at the start instead of joining the break-away group as I certainly paid the price in the last two laps :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Aimman

Great running from the two of you on the day, what's the next one? Connemara?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

Aimman wrote: »

Des sables ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭racheljev

Brilliant race and fantastic report as usual. Congrats to you both, delighted for you! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

http://www.crusadersac.org/2013/02/hilly-challenges-and-a-national-50k-title-2/

http://www.mayoac.com/?p=4521

I hear there is a a report on the way in the Fit Magazine on Thursday too ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭banner_phoenix

Could flipping kill you MS. I read this in work today when I should have been working :rolleyes:. Boss asked me a question as I was coming to the end and I had to pretend I had the sniffles and a cold. Couldn't exactly say " nah I'm grand, just reading a savage race report" :o:o

Brilliant run and a cracker of a report :)

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭The_Boy_Wonder

Izoard wrote: »
    Great stuff - even more impressive is that you do it with a big smile on your face, and plenty of time for the mortals around you.

Class act.

+1 on this. Some achievement MS

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Marthastew

Alicano wrote: »
    An absolute pleasure to run with and watch you and Mr.Stew for 21(ish) of the 31 miles achieve something so special together. 50K Champion! I've been telling everyone about your race instead of my own!. There was a distinct moment where the laughs and chats stopped and both of you put the heads down and went after it. Poetry in motion from where I was looking/running.
    Total respect and congrats to Mr.Stew also. Beast of a runner. Seemed to coast his way all along. Great emotional report and thanks for not slagging me off :D
    That's twice you've left me for dust..And I thought you were nice!!
    Enjoy the fantastic feeling. So well deserved.
    Al.
    The only reason we had to leave you is because the paparazzi chasing you were getting in our way:D:D
    (Al is our rock-star friend, the real deal, he plays in a band. And he's very cute, and obviously fit but before you ladies start getting excited... I've bad news, he's taken:()
    well done great race it was nice to have run with you for some of it (this is paul)

Well done on a super race, you paced it really well. And also well done on the sweet smelling gear, much appreciated:)
    opus wrote: »
    Congratulations! Great run and report!

Wish I stayed with the bus at the start instead of joining the break-away group as I certainly paid the price in the last two laps :)

There are many ways to skin a cat and all that..... Congrats on your 50K:D Hope you are recovering well.
    Aimman wrote: »

Rotterdam for Mr Stew and London for me, back to training now
    digger2d2 wrote: »
    Des sables ;)

As tempting as that sounds I'm not sure our marriage would survive;)
    That and the fact that we have already spent the boys' college fund on all our marathon travels;)
    menoscemo wrote: »
    http://www.crusadersac.org/2013/02/hilly-challenges-and-a-national-50k-title-2/

http://www.mayoac.com/?p=4521

I hear there is a a report on the way in the Fit Magazine on Thursday too ;)

I've had to get an agent (from Al;)) to field all the calls I've been getting;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Marthastew

Sunday February 18th
    Rest and recovery
    After the race we headed home, bragged to the kids, showered and headed into town to celebrate with some of the Donadea gang. A great fun night and fortunately for us Auntiestew was STILL on duty so we didn’t stay too late and consequently the hangover was not too bad at all the next day. I woke a few times during the night with throbbing baby toes and in need of a drink (the beer and wine might have had something to do with this:rolleyes:)but other than that I felt fine. I was up early on Sunday to take the boys to rugby and was on duty in the coffee shop. They’re used to seeing me running around the pitches and anyone who casually asked how my training was going got more than they bargained for:) We chilled out with the boys and watched a movie in the afternoon and a short 5K walk to clear the cobwebs followed by an early night.

Total miles for the week 49.33

Monday February 18th
    Dip in 40 Foot
    Recovery, very easy run 4.85 miles @ 9.53 pace
    45 minute Body Pump Class
    Legs feeling not too bad, a little domsish and quads quite tight. A dip in the sea had me feeling much better and I hadn’t intended running at all but three things happened to change my mind
    1. Every Spring I get a routine check-up with my GP, bloods etc. my appointment was after my dip in the sea. He said my blood pressure was perfect and my heart rate was as low as usual(48), so I took that as a sign I was recovering well.
    2. I have a pal who I don’t get to run with very often and she asked would I join her and I knew we’d be nice and slow.
    3. The sun was shining and there was no way I couldn’t run on such a perfect day!
    My legs felt fine, quads still a little tight which I’m putting down to the mucky parts of the course on Saturday and we took it really handy. I had the watch set to time only so had no idea of pace and we stopped to chat to dogs and cats and had a lovely time. Feeling great after this I popped into Body pump but took it very easy and kept the weights very low.

Tuesday February 19th
    Dip in 40 foot
    45 minute lower body class
    6 miles @ 8.31 pace
    45 minute Reformer Pilates Class
    Another great night’s sleep on Monday and I woke feeling good, legs much looser. An even more glorious sunny day so I headed out for a nice easy run to the hills of Killiney, Garmin set to time only and I was surprised how easy this felt for the pace. Pilates reformer was a great stretch for the legs and I spent 15 minutes with my friend the foam roller.

Wednesday February 20th
    Cycling 17 miles
    30 minute spinning class
    The fabulous Spring day yesterday prompted me to text a pal and see if you she fancied a day-trip to Enniskerry. I also knew that one more running-free day wouldn’t do me any harm and if I was left to my own devices I’d go for a LSR;) Dusted the cobwebs off my lovely road-racer, pumped up the tyres and away we went. The first 10 minutes were spent trying to remember how to change the gears and then I spent the rest of the time reminding myself I had the cleats on and not to fall off at traffic lights:eek: it was great to get back out on the bike but by the time we reached the wilds of Wicklow we were freezing and I had trouble changing gears/pulling the brakes:eek: because my hands were so cold (even though I had dressed for the arctic) so we had a coffee to warm up and cut things short to head home to warm up. I popped down to the gym to shower and as I arrived I noticed the spinning class with the instructor who has great music was just about to start. I couldn’t miss the opportunity of a Wednesday lunchtime disco so in I went and spun my little heart out.

The GP called with my blood test results and told me I am wonderful:D my ferritin level is normal but on the lower side of the scale (35) so he suggested I take a supplement. I actually bought one ages ago when it was on special offer and then I read somewhere that they shouldn’t be taken unless the GP tells you to.
    I’m starting it today, I'll just have to check with Claralara where she gets hers;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Marthastew wrote: »

The GP called with my blood test results and told me I am wonderful:D my ferritin level is normal but on the lower side of the scale (35) so he suggested I take a supplement. I actually bought one ages ago when it was on special offer and then I read somewhere that they shouldn’t be taken unless the GP tells you to.
    I’m starting it today, I'll just have to check with Claralara where she gets hers;)

Wow, so all this on low ferretin levels :eek:

With higher levels you would definitely be number 1 in the world rankings, not 2 ;)
    http://statistik.d-u-v.org/getintbestlist.php?dist=50km&year=2013&gender=W

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

menoscemo wrote: »

Wow, so all this on low ferretin levels :eek:

With higher levels you would definitely be number 1 in the world rankings, not 2 ;)
    http://statistik.d-u-v.org/getintbestlist.php?dist=50km&year=2013&gender=W

Class!! I know a world class international athlete! :)

Well.... Has anyone seen Fit magazine yet? Have myself and CL been "Glamour Couple'd" :D;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

Well.... Has anyone seen Fit magazine yet? Have myself and CL been "Glamour Couple'd" :D;)

Marthastew has managed to block out Mr.Stew with her outstretched arms, but we all know this is just her way of hogging the limelight!
    And sure why shouldn't she?? She's National 50km champion, don't you know!!:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭chinguetti

We could have a race off between the 2012 and 2013 Glamorous Couples.:D

And now we'll just wait for Brainderunner to give us odds and the event distance perhaps????

chinguetti wrote: »
    We could have a race off between the 2012 and 2013 Glamorous Couples.:D

And now we'll just wait for Brainderunner to give us odds and the event distance perhaps????

I reckon aggregate couple times would be very close indeed! My predictions:
    Claralara: 3:05
    Digger: 3:18
    Total: 6:23

Marthastew: 3:13
    Mr.Stew: 3:13
    Total: 6:26

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

So Champion, no fear you rested up basking in your glory. I'm only surprised you didn't do a yoga/pilates/spinning class on the Sunday! ;)
    The pictures of you crossing the line on Saturday got me all emotional! Simply amazing.

belcarra wrote: »

I reckon aggregate couple times would be very close indeed! My predictions:
    Claralara: 3:05
    Digger: 3:18
    Total: 6:23

Marthastew: 3:13
    Mr.Stew: 3:13
    Total: 6:26

Eh.... What about as follows...

CL @ 3:04, Dig @ 3.09 = 6:13

MS @ 3.13, Mr stew @ 3.12 = 6.25

Make an age adjusted aggregate and I'd say the Stews just win out.... CL's youth drags us down unless she goes sub 3 !! ;):)

Sub 3:10 in Boston?
    I didn't appreciate you were in that kinda form Digger, I may have done you a disservice!

Let the mind games commence!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Thought the legs fooked :rolleyes:

Sure it's all downhill!! ;)

I didn't appreciate you were in that kinda form Digger, I may have done you a disservice!

Let the mind games commence!

I forgive you ;), sub 3.10 is the goal and the 40:19 10k on Saturday has me at 3:09:09 and 1:29:53. So, if I can do that HM time at Bohermeen then all still on track!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

MS @ 3.13, Mr stew @ 3.12 = 6.25

Make an age adjusted aggregate and I'd say the Stews just win out.... CL's youth drags us down unless she goes sub 3 !! ;):)

Interesting to see which camp Meno-Lara-Stew would be following? ;)

blockic wrote: »

Thought the legs fooked :rolleyes:

Sure it's all downhill!! ;)

They are, nothing unusual about that, all the years of rugby, soccer and hockey catches up!

The jet lag offsets your latter point! Now, blockic, this is a positive log. It's all mocha choca frappa- bikram so I'll be having none of your negativity ;)

• Advertisement

pistol_75 wrote: »

Interesting to see which camp Meno-Lara-Stew would be following? ;)

The opposite one of what his Physio tells him :);)

Advertisement