Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running with the birds or for the birds?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭TRR

Deadly. That report has put me in great form. Well done again.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Gavlor

You should really have added a bit of emotion to that report :D

Excellent performance, well deserved result and a report of the year boxed off!

I had a pint in London with one of your clubmates that was on the track when Mr Stew collapsed, he painted a scary scene. What an unbelievable way to close that chapter of your life.

Nelson-Mandela-5-450x337.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭snailsong

Well done again on a great race and a great report.

It was such a pleasure to run with you Sunday. Your relentless positivity carried me a few miles when I might otherwise have been flagging. The support from Joe was worth a few more. It all made for the most enjoyable marathon experience I've had.

Btw, i hope you dont feel bad of me for pushing on for the last mile or two. I figured the last thing you'd need is someone dictating the pace to you at that stage. Glad to hear you were following the vest. I didnt want to look back but knew where you were when I heard the supporters call out your nane as we passed. I also asked Joe how close you were.

Lovely also to run into you both a bit later after the finish. ye were glowing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,007 ✭✭✭opus

Great run & report, glad I was along for the experience!

Plenty more in the tank I'd say, looking forward to hearing how you get on in Berlin :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

There goes my mascara, damn you Olympia! ;):p
    What a great report (again)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭cianc

Great report. Read it over breakfast and had to give the kids a hug afterwards.
    Has TV movie written all over it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭racheljev

Ah ya wagon, would you stop it, I'm bawling here! HUGE congrats on a brilliant race and a fabulous report. I'm so happy you had such a great time and that MrStew was there with you to enjoy it all :) You both rock, end of.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

We can all stop now, 2014 race report of the year has already been written :D

Great result & a brilliant read!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

digger2d2 wrote: »
    Ecoli broke 3 hours..... You're remarking on a Gavlor moment of seriousness... What the fcuk is the world coming to? ;):)
    ecoli wrote: »
    Don't worry Chaos theory still reigns supreme...... Beaten by a Bro's Pearse runner :p
    TRR wrote: »
    Deadly. That report has put me in great form. Well done again.

It certainly does when I see that TRR is in great form!! :D;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

Well done O, a great race and even more to come in Berlin.
    It was great catching up with the pair of you (as well as the rest of the boardsies!) and hopefully once I shake this damned hamstring strain I'll see you at a few races and perhaps a few LSRs for Berlin!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭theboyblunder

Hi MS. Super run and a great report!

• Registered Users Posts: 914 ✭✭✭Bulmers74

Well done again MS - great to meet up with yourself, Mr Stew and the other boardsies on Sunday. Epic report - brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭hot to trot

OMG I was shocked to learn of your life upheaval and your crisis with Joe. Thank GOd all is well and getting better.
    I had tried to stay away from boards and use the time to run instead and get some proper training in , and missed all this.

Congratulations on your new shiny PB's. And for Joe where every day is a PB after coming close to the dark side !
    Live strong.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

There are simply no superlatives to give justice, delighted for you. Nice mention and podium finish on Marathon Talk to boot!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

Great to see you back logging and what a report. Your made of tough stuff I tell ya.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Congratulation on a super run & time and as alway a lovely well written report where i can feel all the emotions pouring through it too. Delighted to hear J is doing so well and Best Regards to both of you and the boys!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Marthastew

Although I haven’t had a chance to update regularly over the past few weeks I’ve been keeping up to date with things on here and I’m delighted to see everyone doing so well:)
    Since my last update things have been progressing along nicely for the Stew family. It’s hard to believe that we are almost half way through the very busy month of June and not surprisingly it feels as if the first half of 2014 has gone by in a bit of a blur. Mr Stew continues to go from strength to strength and things are very much returning to normal for us all. This past week we received some great news from the cardiologist; Mr S has been given the go ahead to ease back in to running, he has to keep his HR below 125/130bpm and he enjoyed a long overdue run around Dublin on his lunch break the other day. Meno told him he’s now following a Hadd training plan and used Yaboya as an example of just how effective it is:D This great news also means we can once again enjoy some of our time running together. Just like anyone else returning to training after injury he’s planning to take it very, very easy. He has been keeping his fitness up over the past few months walking around beautiful Killiney Hill so he isn’t exactly starting from scratch. The 3 junior Stews are all doing really well with their respective sports and studies and we are all looking forward to a much-needed family holiday, we leave for Thailand on June 17th:D:D
    I’ve been extremely sensible over the past few weeks and I’m delighted with my progress, still lots of swimming in the sea, yoga, classes in the gym etc. but I’ve also been taking it easy whenever I’ve felt tired and I’ve even enjoyed a few honest-to-goodness complete rest days; plenty of easy running combined with some fun racing and I’ve really enjoyed the lack of structure and freedom that comes with no plan.
    But the party can’t last forever so it’s time for me to take stock and see what the year has brought so far……….
    February; Donadea 50K 4.13.21

April; 10 mile Raheny Brian Boru 67.28

May; Limerick Marathon 3.12.51
    Clanna Gael 5K Beach Fun Run 20.42
    5 mile Sportsworld Terenure 32.47

June; 10K Flora Women’s Mini Marathon 41.13
    Strawberry Half Marathon Enniscorthy 1.30.46

Total miles to end of May 1,106.92

I’ve really enjoyed the racing (not listed above but worth mentioning is leg 4 of the Wicklow Way relay race which I LOVED) and I’ve even been fortunate enough to nab myself a couple of AG prizes along the way. I passed the 1K mile mark during Terenure 5 mile:D
    Yesterday I had a lucky day-trip to Enniscorthy (thanks for the chauffeuring Meno, Beepbeep and Digger:)) 3rd female for me with Claralara in 1st place. The 4th lady was hot on my heels 4 seconds behind me. I also learnt (once again) first-hand just how much running is mind over matter; Abhainn and Pat did a super job pacing, but I felt like I was working a bit too hard from the start so I had fallen off the 1.30 bus at about 10 miles and it seemed like I was going backwards. I heard footsteps with about 1K to go and glanced behind to see a female runner gaining ground…. My Garmin has my last mile @ 6.30 pace and the .13 @ 6 min pace:) Despite not dipping under the 90 minute mark I was thrilled with the run given the challenging course and the windy conditions and it’s a good marker before I start into proper training again.
    I’m planning lots of easy running while we are away but I won’t stress too much about the mileage, we arrive back from holidays on July 9th and I’ll be starting back into structured training for Berlin marathon, I’ll most likely follow our club plan with a little bit of tweaking here and there. For example the club plan does not include the Energia 24 hour relay race on July 17th but I’m delighted to say I’ll be taking part this year:D.

Very best of luck to everyone with their training over the next few weeks and extra special good luck wishes to the Beer Milers:) I’m sorry I won’t be there this year, I’m looking forward to hearing all about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭pointer28

Hi MS,

Just popping in to say hello. Been a follower of logs here for some years and I was at the start line yesterday tool.

It's amazing how you get to know people just from seeing pics on here and learning afterwards that you were pacing such and such a race (I did Glasson last year and only found out afterwards that it was yourself and Meno pacing). I was with my GF and pointing out yourself and Claralara and Menoscemo but I never realized that you came 1st and 3rd.

Were you trying to drown CL in the river just because she beat you? That's not very sporting!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭hot to trot

Looking forward to seeing you run in Energia. You are always so far up the front and gone like a whippet in a tail wind that I never see you . IM sure you will be lapping me a gazillion times in Belfast. Looking forward to the whoosh of wind as you fly past me .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Killerz

No beer mile? How very disappointing! I know you weren't participating yourself, but that image of you on the video from last year, arms outstretched in disgust/ disbelief/ disappointment when meno chundered is one of the highlights of the 2013 event.

• Advertisement

Killerz wrote: »
    No beer mile? How very disappointing! I know you weren't participating yourself, but that image of you on the video from last year, arms outstretched in disgust/ disbelief/ disappointment when meno chundered is one of the highlights of the 2013 event.

Meno didn't chunder.... He frothed! How's your single sore nipple anyway killerz?

Meno didn't chunder.... He frothed! How's your single sore nipple anyway killerz?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Killerz

digger2d2 wrote: »

Whatever....it got MarthaStew pretty excited one way or another. Nipple is slowly regaining full fitness, and will be back challenging again at the pointy end of major competition in no time.... thanks for your concern.

So sorry it has taken me so long to reply.... Junior Stew finally finished his Junior Cert today and we are officially on holidays :-) Hope you're all enjoying the sunshine and getting in plenty of warm weather training :-)

pointer28 wrote: »
    Hi MS,

Just popping in to say hello. Been a follower of logs here for some years and I was at the start line yesterday tool.

It's amazing how you get to know people just from seeing pics on here and learning afterwards that you were pacing such and such a race (I did Glasson last year and only found out afterwards that it was yourself and Meno pacing). I was with my GF and pointing out yourself and Claralara and Menoscemo but I never realized that you came 1st and 3rd.

Were you trying to drown CL in the river just because she beat you? That's not very sporting!!
    Was that you in the river with us? You should have said hello, although it's always difficult to go up and introduce yourself as an "Internet Friend" ;-), looking forward to seeing you at another race again soon.

Looking forward to seeing you run in Energia. You are always so far up the front and gone like a whippet in a tail wind that I never see you . IM sure you will be lapping me a gazillion times in Belfast. Looking forward to the whoosh of wind as you fly past me .
    I'm really looking forward to running with you and massive super doper well done on your win in Staplestown, it's good to see you back going from strength to strength

Mr Stew and I will likely run our own beer mile on the same day as you all...... only there'll be more than 4 beers and probably not much running ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭pointer28

Marthastew wrote: »
    Was that you in the river with us? You should have said hello, although it's always difficult to go up and introduce yourself as an "Internet Friend" ;-), looking forward to seeing you at another race again soon.

No, I was on the other side of the river doing an extra few kms when I saw you trying to drag CL in, I'll bet it was bloody cold too!

Dead right on the "internet friend" thing, it almost feels a bit stalkerish but I promise I'll say hello if I ever come across you again.

Best of luck on your holiday!

All is very well in the land of the Stews and like most people we’ve been busy enjoying the wonderful summer. Mr Stew continues to go from strength to strength and his comeback has been nothing short of inspirational, he is now running three/four times a week and his mileage has been gradually increasing. When he first started back running his pace was very well suited to my recovery pace but he has been improving so well that it won’t be long before I’ll have to do my recovery runs on my own;)

Our family holiday in June went really, really well and after such a stressful start to the year we enjoyed every minute of it. My main priorities were time with my wonderful family, rest (physical and mental) and then if time allowed I had hoped to get in the odd run or two. Mr Stew joined me on a couple of the early morning runs but even at 7am the heat (approx. 34C) and humidity had our heart rates rising so he wisely decided to stick to the treadmill in the nicely air-conditioned gym. I preferred to run outdoors, lots of easy 6 milers, a few hill-repeat runs and one LSR of 13 miles (tough but enjoyable), running 10 days out of the 17 so nothing to write home about but hopefully enough to keep things ticking over.
    We’ve been home just over 3 weeks now and I’m finally settling back into marathon training, I’ve been enjoying the club sessions when I can get to them and it’s hard to believe Berlin is just over 8 weeks away now:eek:, I’ve lots of work to do in that time!
    I’ve even managed to fit in of races; Tymon Parkrun July 12th let me know exactly how much fitness I’d lost over the break, 20.39 and I collapsed in a puddle of sweat trying not to vomit at the end of it:o
    July 18th/19th was my first foray into the wonderful world of Ultra track running where I was lucky enough to be part of Team Donadea 50K in the Energia 24 hour race, I really, really enjoyed this event. There were 4 of us on the team (including the legendary Ray Lanigan) and we each had to run 3 X 2 hours followed by 6 hours rest. I’m delighted to say that not only did our team win but our illustrious team manager Anto/Ultraman, who was competeing in the 24 hour, passed the 100 mile mark with a smile on his face. My Garmin tells me I ran a total of almost 46 miles over my 3 shifts but given the fact that Garmins aren’t accurate on the track and our total mileage was just under 170 miles, I’d say I ran closer to 40 miles, either way it’s the furthest I’ve ever run in any 24 hour period (actually 18 hour), Conn Ultra being the furthest in 2012 (39.3 miles).
    Next up for me is the National Half on Monday and I have to admit I’m dreading it! I’ve recovered well after the 24 hour race but I still don’t feel as if I’m in great shape yet. A trip to Ecoli this morning to knock my legs back into shape (thanks Luke:)) will hopefully do the trick and I’ll be happy at the Finish line so long as I race as hard as I can and do my best.
    I’ve only myself to blame for my Bank holiday plans and I almost feel as if I’ve sold my soul to the devil;) by signing up for the R&R; we have run the wonderful DLR Bay 10K the last 2 years and it's a great race, tough but very enjoyable.
    Very, very best of luck to all who are racing on Monday in Dun Laoghaire or in Dublin city (and by city I mean mostly the Phoenix Park;)) Mr Stew will be marshalling with some of our clubmates at O’Connell bridge, I’m sure they’ll be full of encouragement to send us all on our way.

July total 201.19
    YTD total; 1,438

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭eliwallach

I really like the positivity in your training log (not to mention the the great running).

The National half wasn’t exactly my finest hour but lots of positives as well as negatives and I’ve got plenty of areas to improve on before Berlin. Spurred on by the fact that Aimann and Racheljev are back logging again I’ve decided that logging regularly on here will help get me back on track so here goes……

Monday August 4th
    Dublin Rock n Roll/National Half marathon
    Total miles 17.9 including w/u and c/d
    After a nice relaxing weekend with just over 40 miles in the legs from the week before I was hopeful of a good run in this race. I popped up to Marlay Parkrun on the Saturday, the torrential rain and flooding in my garden would have had me rushing back to bed if I’m honest but I had put myself on the volunteer roster so I had no choice but to head up. Still not much zip in the legs so I took it very easy for the first two miles and then picked up the pace to the end finishing in 23.38 feeling good, as always I had great fun catching up with everyone up there. I have three words for anyone reading this who is tempted to volunteer at a parkrun….. JUST DO IT, it's really good fun and not at all difficult.
    Sunday was a rest day, apart from hot yoga which was much needed.

After a good night’s sleep I woke Monday morning to glorious sunshine beaming through the curtains and I was in a great mood, August 4th is a special day in the Dunne household; Mr Stew and I were married on this day 19 years ago and quite naturally this year feels even more special.
    My breakfast was light enough as it was so early; (race started at 8.30am) two cups of coffee, two slices of toast with jam (homemade from the raspberries in our garden) and I had made a beetroot and apple juice to drink an hour before the race when we got into town.
    Mr Stew was on duty at the Rosie Hackett bridge and we got parking right along the quays, we had collected a club-mate on the way so she and I made our way to the start after leaving Mr S to join his Cru. When we got down to the start area there was a great buzz, we met up with lots of pals and dropped our bags at the luggage trucks. The queues for the portaloos weren’t going anywhere fast so we jogged back up to the Clarion where the loos were almost as smelly but the queues not too bad, jogged back again but time was running out so I only managed a couple of strides and a few kick-butts, not the best warm-up but I figured I had over 13 miles to warm-up.
    I positioned myself about 8 rows from the front of pen 1, not exactly where I should have been with my projected time but I was hopeful of an age-group placing and experience has taught me to start more towards the front. The announcer was doing her best to get the crowds hyped up but the atmosphere up around me was fairly sombre, you could almost feel the nerves rising. As usual I stood there thinking “Why am I doing this to myself?”:eek: But luckily for me the DJ played Pharrel Willaims’ “Happy” and I started to relax. The gun sounded a couple of minutes late and we were on our way ….

The first mile went by in a flash (6.38) and I was holding back as I knew I’d pay for it later if I started too fast, a fab shout-out of “Happy Anniversary” from Mr S as I passed and all was well. I was passed by Snailsong and Ferris B and I wished them well as they powered on. Towards the end of the second mile (6.55) I was passed by the 1.30 pace group, I decided to try and keep them in my sights further up. The first water station was welcome and I grabbed a cup, sipped some and threw the rest over me, the sun was quite warm even at this early hour. I kept the 1.30 group in my sights for the next mile (6.42) but I really felt as if I was working too hard and knew I couldn’t sustain that pace for the next 10 miles so I made the decision to pull back and take it handy enough but still work as hard as I could. I really enjoyed the run through the grounds of Royal Hospital and Kilmainham Gaol but my enjoyment was short-lived when my Garmin beeped with a 7.10 mile:eek:, time to reassess…. Miles 5 and 6 were run at a similar pace (7.07 and 7.06) but at least I felt a lot more in control and although I was occasionally being overtaken I was also overtaking a few people. I had stopped checking the pace on my Garmin and decided to run by feel until the end.
    Some superdooper shout-outs from the folks at the Bros Pearse Water station at the end of Sarsfield Rd and another cup of water cheered me up and I chanced an “Oggie, oggie, oggie” as we passed under the railway bridge, one solitary soul replied with an “Oi, oi, oi”, nobody (me included) seemed to be feeling the love:( I imagine we were all fearful for what lay ahead and despite the samba/steel drum band in the park helping me up the hill, mile 7 was my slowest of the day (7.37) Holy Merde, this was hard work:eek: the central governor left and I really struggled with the demons here….. you drank too much beer on holiday… you’re too old for this… wouldn’t it be lovely if you tripped and fell into a ditch?…. your leg is sore, maybe you’re injured?.... you shouldn’t have had that Magnum yesterday….

Luckily for me the water station at mile 7 was manned by the good folks of Donore and I got some more fantastic support and another cup of water and a gel just as I hit a welcome down-hill. The next three miles passed by in a blur (7.11, 7.33, 7.25) and although I didn’t pick things up the central governor came back from his break and the demons were sent on their way ….. I am strong and I will do this…. I love racing... this is fun and this easy….. I will get a national medal (I was still rather optimistically hoping for some age group bling, also there were two Cru females up ahead of me, I hoped we might have a chance of a team placing)

I grabbed a bottle of Powerade at the next station, took two big swigs and threw the bottle in the direction of one of the green bins; score! Still working very hard but I was finally starting to notice the runners up ahead of me and began to pick off as many of them as I could, I could see three females a good bit away and I told myself I had to catch them all before the finish line. In front of me was a Tallaght vest and I managed to pass him but I knew by the look on his face he’d be back to get me;) Unfortunately the female Donore runner came back to me sooner than expected as she pulled off just after we passed through the roundabout on Chesterfield Ave. I felt really bad for her as she had seemed to be motoring along well, I’m not sure if she finished, I hope she did. All I could think of was the finish line and I told myself my usual Just a parkrun to go. Luckily for me my Tallaght friend was back and he was full of encouragement as overtook me, I think we had a ding-dong over the next couple of miles (7.06, 7.19) but it was more a case of us pushing each other on. I managed to overtake 3 more females during these miles and although one or two males overtook me I maintained my position on the female finishers list.
    After the 12 mile marker (I think?, maybe it was 11) I saw Eoinin and told him to keep pushing as I passed him, although I crossed the Finish line ahead of him he ran a faster time than me so technically he wasn’t chicked;) I’m pretty sure he ran a PB.

Another runner in a blue vest also gave me some encouragement as he ran alongside me and although I was really hurting I was also sort of enjoying the race at this stage, the end wasn’t far and I was working as hard as I could, 7.08 for the 12th mile. Before I turned the corner for the finishing straight I got a huge shout-out from one of my clubmates (who I had already seen twice on the side-lines) and it really gave me a boost to push on, “Catch two more before the finish line” he said and I did in fact manage to pass one runner. Another clubmate who had already finished and was jogging back for family members who were running gave me yet another great shout out and I was thinking I really am in the best club in Ireland:D At the same time I was also thinking my legs were going to explode:eek: but I could see the clock and it said 1.34.XX so I pushed as hard as I could thinking there was no way I was finishing with a 1.35.XX (6.08 for the last .25 according to the Garmin). Crossed the line and managed not to vomit, pulled myself together and although I hadn’t run as fast as I hoped I honestly felt happy; I had run the best I could on the day.
    Results from Rock N Roll website;
    Chip time; 1:34:27
    Overall: 378 out of 5007
    Division: 3 out of 5007

After knocking back a very welcome bottle of water I bumped into Snailsong and his lovely family and having said goodbye to them I caught up with some of the runners who had finished before and after me. I really love the finishing chute of a race, everyone (well, mostly everyone) is so happy to be finished and it’s great fun sharing war stories and congratulating each other. I’m still not sure where my Tallaght friend finished but I’m guessing by the smile on his face when he greeted me that he finished ahead of me:) We thanked each other for helping each other along the way and I even had the honour of presenting him with his medal:D Lots of yummy goodies exiting the finish area (Powerade, haribos, bananas, crisps) I caught up with my clubmates who had raced, lots of happy campers, some, like me hadn’t quite run as well as hoped but they weren’t too stressed either. I collected my bag from the luggage truck (still not sure why it was on name, not bib number, it caused a lot of delays) and popped on my running rucksack ready to run back to the car in town. I was delighted to bump into a very happy Claralara, she had run a superb 1.27.XX and we jogged back into town together, shooting the breeze along the way, rounding off the day with a mocha-choco-cappe-frappe-cino:D:D

EVERY CLOUD HAS A SILVER LINING*
    Although the RnR results have me listed as 3rd in my Age group I did in fact get Silver:) (no age group search available yet but I’m assuming the runner ahead of me wasn’t a club runner) But the good news doesn’t stop there.... Crusader ladies got silver in the senior race and I was 3rd scorer:) (congrats also to Claralara and Sportsworld on 1st place)…..
    ....And cue Phareel Willaims with “Happy”
    *pun blatantly stolen from our club newsletter;)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Marthastew wrote: »
    I was thinking I really am in the best club in Ireland:D

hmm, sounds like the heat got to you. :D
    Maybe second-best :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭career move

Yay MS is back logging :D

Advertisement