Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ovulation prediction strips

Options
  • 09-01-2012 5:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭

Has anyone used some Ovulation prediction strips?

I ordered some online, they arrived today, they look the same as a pregnancy test, has anyone tried them or have any advice experiences they would share?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Fluffyduck11

Hi Stickybean

I used them for a while then bought the clearblue monitor which records all your cycles and tells you when to test, unfortunately we did not conceive using them but i know loads of people who found them brilliant

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭stickybean

Thanks fluffyduck.

How did you find the monitor? Would you recommend?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Fluffyduck11

stickybean wrote: »
    Thanks fluffyduck.

How did you find the monitor? Would you recommend?

Hi Stickybean

Well I tried both, the strips and the monitor, while I have not had success in TTC yet , I did find the monitor very good as it stores all your results , most ovu tests only identify the 2 peak fertile days in your cycle but the monitor can detect the rise in estrogen 1-5 days prior to the peak fertility. you can get the sticks in packs of 20. I got a pack of 20 for £17.50 online. The monitor itself is £59. You could pay 100euro or more for it here. While using the sticks they recommend that they should all be from the same batch no for that cycle. The good thing about the monitor is that you can wipe the memory and start again for baby no.2 :) I hope you find this helpful .
    Best of luck:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Ms2011

I've used OPKs as I have an irregular cycle and am due to give birth in 9 weeks :-)
    They worked like text book for me as in I would get a positive the day before & the day I ovulated and then back to negative on the third days.
    I usually used the OPKs after CD10 at around 2 O'clock after holding urine for at least an hour & not drinking fluids before hand.
    I used the cheap internet strips, for a positive the second line needs to be as dark or darker than the control (second) line.

Hope that helps & best of luck!

Thanks girls, I have started using them since 10CD - I am 19 CD today. I got 2 what I thought were positives - they were almost the same colour as the test line, but I don't think they were as dark, and I did have some EYCM those days - hoping that was it.

I bought the clear blue one - it was a bit pricey - €30 for 5 tests (and a free early preg test). Bit concerned about price if I have to test for ten days

my cycle was 27-29 days, but my last cycle was 34 days - so bit confused now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Ms2011

Try ebay or inhealth to buy bulk quantities of OPKs for v.cheap otherwise it can get v.expensive. You can use the dearer ones to confirm a positive if you're not sure that way it keeps cost down.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Cicilulu

They worked for me (the eBay cheapy ones) but I had to test more than once a day. Some women have a short LH surge so if you only test once you can miss it. The EWCM is a more important fertility sign. Fingers crossed for you.

Tried a test today - got a BFN :(

fingers crossed - going to wait another few days before I do another

I am only 26 CD

Crossing everything - have no symptoms so not sure this is the month!

Tried a test today - got a BFN :(

fingers crossed - going to wait another few days before I do another

I am only 26 CD

Crossing everything - have no symptoms so not sure this is the month!

Don't drink so much going to bed and use your first wee tomorrow (or the next day if you think you can wait).

The hormone doubles every second day. Not everyone gets early signs. Best of luck hon!

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

I had the ovulation cheapie dipsticks. My positive was never darker than the control line but as long as I saw any kind of a pink line I took it as a sign that I was ovulating.

I missed my LH surge a few times - probably it occured overnight, and was quite short anyway. I found it best to test in the evening between 6pm and bedtime.

• Advertisement

Cicilulu wrote: »
    Don't drink so much going to bed and use your first wee tomorrow (or the next day if you think you can wait).

The hormone doubles every second day. Not everyone gets early signs. Best of luck hon!

Think I will wait a few more days before I try another one - but I haven't any symptoms - I get so sad when I see the BFN

Neyite wrote: »
    I had the ovulation cheapie dipsticks. My positive was never darker than the control line but as long as I saw any kind of a pink line I took it as a sign that I was ovulating.

I missed my LH surge a few times - probably it occured overnight, and was quite short anyway. I found it best to test in the evening between 6pm and bedtime.

Where did you get your OPK's from?

Cicilulu wrote: »

Think I will wait a few more days before I try another one - but I haven't any symptoms - I get so sad when I see the BFN

I just want to make sure you were talking about HPTs and not OPKs. My advice above for HPTs!

OPKs should be done everyday from a few days prior to the day you normally O. In fact I do them twice a day to make sure I don't miss the surge. Follow the directions on your specific brand as they can vary. For most women LH is synthesised in your body after you wake up so testing from 10am to 8pm is usually best. If you are testing once try to do it mid afternoon and don't drink or pee for a few hours prior.

I got mine on eBay. They are cheap so I use them freely. But I'm obsessed. My bathroom has a stash near the loo.

First time around they worked a charm for me and I have a wee boy. Yesterday I got my first +OPK and I'm so excited. It's almost as thrilling as a BFP when you are unsure if you're Oing at all.

Next week I'll be obsessed with HPTs. I have a stash of eBay HPTs too. The more BFNs you see the less crushing they are. And it's all the sweeter when you finally get a BFP.

If you like I can PM you the name of the eBay seller.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

I got mine and cheapie pregnancy tests in a bundle from Access Diagnostics: http://www.accessdiagnostics.co.uk/acatalog/home-fertility-bundles-fertility.html

got them delivered to work, and they were in plain packaging with no outer indication where they were from. Having said that, ebay do them even cheaper.

I tested with the chemist ones for a month or two then ordered them. Just as well because we were over 2 years (+clomid help) to get me to my current 25 week state. We would have spent juniors college fund on OPKs alone if I hadnt got them online. :D

I could test and waste them whenever I wanted really, so you are not sitting there with one last test and wondering if you should or shouldnt use it. God knows it can get very stressful all on its own without adding extra about cost into the mix :p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

Neyite wrote: »

I got mine and cheapie pregnancy tests in a bundle from Access Diagnostics: http://www.accessdiagnostics.co.uk/acatalog/home-fertility-bundles-fertility.html

got them delivered to work, and they were in plain packaging with no outer indication where they were from. Having said that, ebay do them even cheaper.

I tested with the chemist ones for a month or two then ordered them. Just as well because we were over 2 years (+clomid help) to get me to my current 25 week state. We would have spent juniors college fund on OPKs alone if I hadnt got them online. :D

I could test and waste them whenever I wanted really, so you are not sitting there with one last test and wondering if you should or shouldnt use it. God knows it can get very stressful all on its own without adding extra about cost into the mix :p
    Hi neyite, was clomid the thing that changed your luck? I've been told that I'll be going on it jn April if nothing happens before then. Is it expensive? What are the pros & cons? Thanks!

yellow hen wrote: »
    Hi neyite, was clomid the thing that changed your luck? I've been told that I'll be going on it jn April if nothing happens before then. Is it expensive? What are the pros & cons? Thanks!

Indeed it was :). We had no obvious issues - all tests were fine, but clomid seemed to give my ovaries a bit of ooomph. We were scheduled for 3 cycles with Clomid+Timed then if that didnt work we were going to go onto Clomid+IUI. So really, it was our last 3 months to concieve the old fashioned way.

The first month they put me on 5x 50mg at cycle start, I overstimulated with 3 mature follicles so they cancelled the cycle, (didnt give me the Pregnyl trigger shot) so that cycle was a bust.

Second cycle they reduced me to 2 x 50mg Clomid and I had 2 mature follicles. Got the Pregnyl injection to trigger ovulation. Got a negative that month.

On the third cycle, I was resigned to IUI, and had started to read up on it. Had 3 follicles but one was slightly immature so they let us go ahead with the trigger shot. I concieved twins on that cycle, but as you know I lost one at 8 weeks. Other one is currently kicking lumps out of my innards. :D

I dont think it was expensive for the meds: The clinic scans etc was 300 a cycle (100 for the cancelled one) however many scans you needed. I dont think the meds were more than €50 but I will have to double check at home and see if I can find any reciepts to be sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

Thanks neyite, I'm just beginning to find out about what comes next. Clomid doesn't sound too bad. Am back with doc at the end of this month so I'm going to get the full rundown on everything! Hope you're doing well :)

Advertisement