Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problem Holly

Options
  • 09-01-2012 6:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭

Evenning all

I have a rogue Holly growing between the patio and the catoniaster, I've been putting it off for a while now but it needs to be dealt with. I cut back the catoniaster recently and will finish doing so soon.

It is in a very tight spot so I don't know if I can get any/much of the roots out.

Would cutting it at the base suffice?

Will try to get a photo up tomorrow.

Thanks all.

PS I also have a much much smaller one growing by one of the Apple trees, if I took it out would it survive in a pot? If anyone is interested I would be more than happy to give it to them.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,451 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Cut it off at the base. If it sprouts treat the new growth (possibly a couple of times) with a systemic weed killer (in the summer, when it is growing). If it does not sprout then the roots will die off and not be a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Cut it off and hammer a copper nail into the stump, copper is toxic to plants and will kill it without weedkiller.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

CJhaughey wrote: »
    Cut it off and hammer a copper nail into the stump, copper is toxic to plants and will kill it without weedkiller.
    Does this kill the problem plant quickly? Presumably you need more copper the bigger the plant?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Quick enough that there will be no regrowth.
    I think one nail is enough to kill a tree of any size.
    Ever see a copper ridge on a roof? It kills off any moss or lichens that may attach themselves to the roof.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

There was a flower bed where I went to school and a leaky gutter off the copper roof. It was a wasteland underneath.
    That's a great tip to know .

• Advertisement
Advertisement