Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Strange feeling on right turns

• 09-01-2012 6:18pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭

I haven't been riding my bike for a few months, so I took it out for a spin last weekend (after a good service of course). But I had a strange feeling when turning right (on roundabouts for example). It felt like the front wheel wanted to fall even more to the right than usual.

When in an upright position, everything is straight and true (even with finger tips only). Left turns feel completely normal. In fact, the "strange" feeling was so subtle that I have myself half convinced that it's because I haven't been in the saddle for so long and that I was out of balance on tight right handers. Having said that, I've been riding for damn near 10 years stuff like "out of balance" just shouldn't happen.

Needless to say, I got home and sat on my couch puzzled and perplexed for some time.

In case it makes a difference, my bike is a 2001 Suzuki GSX-R 600 K1. Anybody else get these strange feelings after a sabatical? Are there any things I could check? I'm thinking maybe the front tyre, but I haven't had a chance to have a good look yet.

Cheers,
    Al.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Are you unconsciously rolling off the throttle on right turns?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭alanmc

Are you unconsciously rolling off the throttle on right turns?

No. That was my first thought, that I was chopping the throttle. But I always keep the throttle cracked open when tipped over. I can feel the weight transferring off the front, so I'm pretty sure that's not it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Andrew33

I haven't ridden bikes in a few years but I never felt truely comfortable taking right handers, bike (and me) always felt much more "planted" on lefties. I'm a leftie but I doubt that has anything to do with it.

Yeah, most riders do prefer one side over the other. As I said, this could all be psychological ... and the next spin I have could be fine.

I was doing a sort of shakedown of the bike as well ... seeing if everything was ok after being laid up for so long. I guess, I could have been over-sensitive. :confused:

I won't be able to go out for a proper spin now until Friday. <sigh>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,340 ✭✭✭Please Kill Me

Likewise I went out for a spin on the bike yesterday after being off it for three months. I was all over the place and it lasted most of the day. I was riding like a complete novice making stupid mistakes. It's in your head man, it'll come back to ya.

• Advertisement

alanmc wrote: »
    Yeah, most riders do prefer one side over the other. As I said, this could all be psychological ... and the next spin I have could be fine.

I was doing a sort of shakedown of the bike as well ... seeing if everything was ok after being laid up for so long. I guess, I could have been over-sensitive. :confused:

I won't be able to go out for a proper spin now until Friday. <sigh>

If you want someone to buzz with, let me know. I'll be in the area on Friday. ;)

Cheers lads. Here's hoping my next spin is more successful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

It's in your head. I don't mean this in a bad way :)

On a push bike I always mount from the right side and naturally stop on my right leg and lean to the right.
    I do the same on a motorcycle

You seem more comfortable on your left

It's just a natural thing, whatever you're comfortable with.

Shouldn't ever affect your riding and the more time you spend on the bike you'll get even more comfortable

mikemac1 wrote: »
    It's in your head. I don't mean this in a bad way :)

On a push bike I always mount from the right side and naturally stop on my right leg and lean to the right.
    I do the same on a motorcycle

You seem more comfortable on your left

It's just a natural thing, whatever you're comfortable with.

Shouldn't ever affect your riding and the more time you spend on the bike you'll get even more comfortable

I do mount from the left, and I do stop with my left foot. Always have. But I think most riders do this (maybe this deserves a poll?). A side effect of the side stand being on the left (and me being not quite as tall as I'd like :)) and the rear brake on the right.

But you're probably right. The more I think about it, the more it does seem psychological.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 183 ✭✭tinyjiney

Check yer tyre pressure.....underinflated tyres can wreck yer head....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

tinyjiney wrote: »

+1.

First thing I'd check (both tyres) once the bike has had no other work or been dropped since last time it was out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 994 ✭✭✭LookBehindYou

Check head bearings, Tyres for wear,tyre pressures, Front forks. Alignment of wheels.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

1 test that you should do, get someone else to drive you bike for a few mins and if they dont find the same problem, its in your head!

jameshayes wrote: »
    1 test that you should do, get someone else to drive you bike for a few mins and if they dont find the same problem, its in your head!

Hmmm. I'm quite protective of my vehicles. Not sure I'd be comfortable letting somebody else off on a spin. But thanks for the suggestion though. Hopefully, I'll get to the bottom of it on Friday ... whether it be mechanical or biological! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭rock22

tinyjiney wrote: »

+1
    this is the first thing I would check. Underinflated front tyre will cause this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,637 ✭✭✭Kat1170

Going around a right hand turn you are going 'against' (negative) the camber of the road and I'd say this is what may be causing the feeling you describe, left hand turns will have a positive camber and more 'feel'. The fact that roads almost always feel greasy this time of year will make this feeling worse.

It's been a while. Work aws keeping me quite busy. But I finally got the battery repaired and brought my bike out for a proper spin. Absolutely no problems takign right handers this time. It felt as planted as it always has. I'm not quite sure what mood I was in a few weeks back, but it does seem to be completely psychological now.

Much thanks for all the replies.

alanmc wrote: »
    It's been a while. Work aws keeping me quite busy. But I finally got the battery repaired and brought my bike out for a proper spin. Absolutely no problems takign right handers this time. It felt as planted as it always has. I'm not quite sure what mood I was in a few weeks back, but it does seem to be completely psychological now.

Much thanks for all the replies.

Coola boola lad, glad there's no problem. See? All in the head. LOL

Coola boola lad, glad there's no problem. See? All in the head. LOL

Yup. Must say I thoroughly enjoyed my spin today.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Cedrus

Some days, you go out and everything is tight and you have the best run imaginable. Another day, the bike can feel like it's falling apart and every corner is wrong and you get home miserable trying to figure out what was wrong. That's bikes.

• Advertisement
Advertisement