Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storage heater light always on?

• 09-01-2012 6:29pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 699 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

My storage heater has recently been acting a bit strange in that of the two light switches - one being for the storage heating and the other for the fan convector on the heater itself - the storage heating light switch seems to be on all day, and in the evening. I can't remember it being off for the past number of weeks (bar if I were to actually switch it off itself).

I've rang Airtricty but they told me it was something that I had manually changed myself on the heater to make it come on all the time (and may have to get a plumber in to look at it?!). He said that a setting on the storage heater had probably been changed. However I can't remember ever changing anything - in fact to my knowledge there are just two dials on the heater - input and output. Of these, I've turned both up to 5/6 (highest being 6) during the cold snap we had before Christmas and recently again when it's cold in the evenings.

My main query is: I thought it was Airtricty who controlled when the heater would come on? I'm quite concerned that the storage heater being on all the time is going to cost me big time in the next elec bill, but unfortunately don't know what to do right now..

Last bit of info: the heater had been working perfectly before this (that is turning on in the evening/night time) and randomly changed...perhaps when I turned the dials up?!

Any advice would be very much appreciated!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

sounds like a timing problem

do you have nightsaver or 2 meters

can you read the time off clock or meter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 699 ✭✭✭hada

M cebee wrote: »
    sounds like a timing problem

do you have nightsaver or 2 meters

can you read the time off clock or meter

I have two meters. Not sure what you mean by the time off clock or meter though?

is it an old timeclock

its prob out or stopped

• Registered Users Posts: 39 TheBadBadger

hada wrote: »
    Hi All,

My storage heater has recently been acting a bit strange in that of the two light switches - one being for the storage heating and the other for the fan convector on the heater itself - the storage heating light switch seems to be on all day, and in the evening. I can't remember it being off for the past number of weeks (bar if I were to actually switch it off itself).

I've rang Airtricty but they told me it was something that I had manually changed myself on the heater to make it come on all the time (and may have to get a plumber in to look at it?!). He said that a setting on the storage heater had probably been changed. However I can't remember ever changing anything - in fact to my knowledge there are just two dials on the heater - input and output. Of these, I've turned both up to 5/6 (highest being 6) during the cold snap we had before Christmas and recently again when it's cold in the evenings.

My main query is: I thought it was Airtricty who controlled when the heater would come on? I'm quite concerned that the storage heater being on all the time is going to cost me big time in the next elec bill, but unfortunately don't know what to do right now..

Last bit of info: the heater had been working perfectly before this (that is turning on in the evening/night time) and randomly changed...perhaps when I turned the dials up?!

Any advice would be very much appreciated!

It may be an issue with the contactor switching the heaters in and out. It may be welded closed although unlikely!

More than likely an issue with the night saver meter in which case the installer (esb) will have to fix or replace the unit.

And finally it may simply be a faulty old generic timeclock.

Thanks for the help guys - so is it best that I contact the ESB rather than Airtricity? Was I just fobbed off incorrectly then by the Airtricity guy??! Most importantly, if it is what you say it is (an issue with the night saver meter) am I going to be charged through the roof for the light always being on?

Lord knows post Christmas, I really won't be able to afford it if it is..I'm dreading it.

• Advertisement

hada wrote: »
    Thanks for the help guys - so is it best that I contact the ESB rather than Airtricity? Was I just fobbed off incorrectly then by the Airtricity guy??! Most importantly, if it is what you say it is (an issue with the night saver meter) am I going to be charged through the roof for the light always being on?

Lord knows post Christmas, I really won't be able to afford it if it is..I'm dreading it.

you dont have nightsaver

you have separate nsh meter

its always useful to confirm a timer issue before contacting them

easily enough done

M cebee wrote: »
    you dont have nightsaver

you have separate nsh meter

its always useful to confirm a timer issue before contacting them

easily enough done

Thanks for that. How would I confirm a timer issue? Does this mean I should ring back Airtricity again after being fobbed off the first time? Sorry, but I'm pretty clueless as to the whole thing! I do appreciate the help!

if you post up a picture of your cabinet or meters and any clock someone can help you confirm the problem before you ring back

Advertisement