Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Changing provider - new equipment in the Exchange ?

• 09-01-2012 6:41pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭

It's been a while since I was up to date with this stuff, so I'm hoping someone can let me know whether things have changed.

I'm moving from UTV for phone & broadband to Vodafone for phone & broadband and my only real concern is whether I will end up with a degraded service or not. I'm assuming not, but this is based on 10 year old information.

In the old days, only Eircom had equipment in the exchanges and getting broadband from anyone else really just meant they were reselling the eircom service. Following this model, the move from UTV to vodafone should only involve a configuration change in the exchange.

I accept that the performance will depend on how good the upstream links & peering are for UTV vs those for Vodafone, but I presume that the basic connectivity will remain the same - i.e. that my router won't suddenly develop a habit of dropping the link, etc . . . Since I work from home a lot I really can't have the service dropping out or otherwise suffering.

Can anyone set my mind at rest on this one ?

z

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭WexIan

Have been with Vodafone for nearly a year now and am counting the days till my years contract is up, they are the worst I have come across, unless you are in a next generation enhanced area I would'nt go to them, even Eircom is better, try digiweb. Best of luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭Doylers

Like the other person posted it kinda depends, with them you might get three types: Normal BB up to about 3Mb, NGB from eircom its up to 8Mb i believe and finally LLU(owned by BT licensed by voda). First two are grand never had issues for the most part, people seem to have their main issues with LLU because its not as tested like the others. The situation seems to be better if you use their modem but not guaranteed. All you can do is sign up and see. I have been with them a year now and had no issues(on NGB by eircom) only problem is my useless zyxel. Best of luck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭Bohrio

zagmund wrote: »
    It's been a while since I was up to date with this stuff, so I'm hoping someone can let me know whether things have changed.

I'm moving from UTV for phone & broadband to Vodafone for phone & broadband and my only real concern is whether I will end up with a degraded service or not. I'm assuming not, but this is based on 10 year old information.

In the old days, only Eircom had equipment in the exchanges and getting broadband from anyone else really just meant they were reselling the eircom service. Following this model, the move from UTV to vodafone should only involve a configuration change in the exchange.

I accept that the performance will depend on how good the upstream links & peering are for UTV vs those for Vodafone, but I presume that the basic connectivity will remain the same - i.e. that my router won't suddenly develop a habit of dropping the link, etc . . . Since I work from home a lot I really can't have the service dropping out or otherwise suffering.

Can anyone set my mind at rest on this one ?

z

What exchange are you on?

Maybe you are already on an LLU exchange with UTV, if that's the case then no changes will me made. If you are on an Eircom exchange more of the same. The only change is that you will be routed through Vodafone instead of UTV.

Not sure why people say if you are on a LLU exchange you service will not be as good, this should not be the case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭zagmund

I think I'm on Priory in Stillorgan in Dublin. The number is 01-284-xxxx.

z

Advertisement