Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Household Charge Liability

Options
  • 09-01-2012 6:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 485 ✭✭

In the case of a relative having exclusive use of a property for life, who is liable for the household charge?

I checked the household charge website FAQ but cannot find anything that applies to this situation.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Ogham

The owner is still liable. There is no exemption listed for such a situation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 485 ✭✭Mo60

Ogham wrote: »
    The owner is still liable. There is no exemption listed for such a situation.

There was no exemption listed under the NPPR charge, but the owner was not liable for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

The unit owner is liable, according to the Act, and according to the Household Charge website.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 davidschoolbag

I think is pertinent and has been avoided by our Government.

A household charge has been brought in already and we are to pay the €100 interim charge. Next year we could pay say €200 maybe €300 possibly more. In a way thats NOT the issue what IS the issue is where the money is going to go and what level of local control will there be.

The web site currently states:
    Revenues from the household charge will support the provision of local services. Internationally, local services are administered by local authorities and financed by local service charges. In Ireland, local authorities are responsible for, among other services, fire and emergency services, maintenance and cleaning of streets, street lighting, planning and development services, public parks, libraries, open spaces and leisure facilities, etc. These are essential local services which benefit all members of the public, including business.
    Notice that after the international example it tells us what the local authorities are responsible for but not one single mention of who will control the expenditure. Local to me means local and Wexford local should mean Wexford services likewise Dublin should mean Dublin services and so on. I suspect thats is not what they are after in which case it is NOT a local tax its a national tax and they should call it what it is.

Someone from the Department should claryfy this issue and now otherwise Cork local charges will be paying for swimmign pools in Dublion or vice versa......... not local and not controlled.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 davidschoolbag

A household charge has been brought in already and we are to pay the €100 interim charge. Next year we could pay say €200 maybe €300 possibly more. In a way thats NOT the issue what IS the issue is where the money is going to go and what level of local control will there be.

Revenues from the household charge will support the provision of local services. Internationally, local services are administered by local authorities and financed by local service charges. In Ireland, local authorities are responsible for, among other services, fire and emergency services, maintenance and cleaning of streets, street lighting, planning and development services, public parks, libraries, open spaces and leisure facilities, etc. These are essential local services which benefit all members of the public, including business.
    Notice that after the international example it tells us what the local authorities are responsible for but not one single mention of who will control the expenditure. Local to me means local and Wexford local should mean Wexford services likewise Dublin should mean Dublin services and so on. I suspect thats is not what they are after in which case it is NOT a local tax its a national tax and they should call it what it is.

Someone from the Department should claryfy this issue and now otherwise Cork local charges will be paying for swimmign pools in Dublion or vice versa......... not local and not controlled.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 usandthem

Can someone advise.
    I read somewhere that the household charge was not on the house but on the ground it stood on.
    I am paying for ground rent every year, because the house/property is not freehold. The fee is paid to the building company who built the house in the early 60's.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

jesus people seriously.

you own the house you pay the charge its not rocket science. how many different fricking threads do we need about this ?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

usandthem wrote: »
    Can someone advise.
    I read somewhere that the household charge was not on the house but on the ground it stood on.

Incorrect. Check the household charge website for accurate information. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭D1stant

otherwise Cork local charges will be paying for swimmign pools in Dublion or vice versa......... not local and not controlled.

I'd say theres zero chance of that happening as it will be used to pay interest on the bailout

Advertisement